Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 2nd March 1985 Charlton 5 Barnsley 3

Comments

• Options
    This was the day I became a charlton supporter, as it was my first ever charlton match. I was 12 years old.

Love it!
    Just googled this match, this was my first Charlton game , I knew the result was 5-3 and one of the Futcher brothers got a hat trick, but didn't know the crowd was only 3000 ans I couldn't remember the date or year!

Remember sitting in the west stand with a mate, what a ramshackle stand that was!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    This was the day I became a charlton supporter, as it was my first ever charlton match. I was 12 years old.

Love it!
    Just googled this match, this was my first Charlton game , I knew the result was 5-3 and one of the Futcher brothers got a hat trick, but didn't know the crowd was only 3000 ans I couldn't remember the date or year!

Remember sitting in the west stand with a mate, what a ramshackle stand that was!
    It would appear that of the 3,000 there, approx 3,800 of them post on here!
  • Options

Love it!

It would appear that of the 3,000 there, approx 3,800 of them post on here!

Hahaha unless of course the attendance figures were recorded incorrectly ... Ahem ;-0

Must have been 10,000 season ticket holders not present that day.

• Options
    I was there! My first season as season ticket holder at the tender age of 14, never for get that game! That season was pretty dreadful, Friday night games against Cardiff and Carlisle....but only had to endure for that season, as next season we went up to First Div!!
  • Options
    Remember Peter Burrowes on LBC having a total fit summarising in this.

Great times.
  • Options
    Was there, talked a very good friend (who sadly is no longer with us) out of going as he had recently had an operation. I don't think it helped his recovery when his dad who went and I recalled what a game it was. He always brought it up when we were talking about great Charlton games in our lifetime and I don't think he ever really forgave me for it.
  • Options
    Was this the match when Millwall turned up or was that the previous season?
  • Options
    Remember the game though I would have wrongly recalled it as 4-3, but was that really the attendance? 3832 - I had forgotten crowds got so low.
  • Options
    3832 - I had forgotten crowds got so low.

much better home/away ratio in those days
  • Options
    Make that 3801 - I was there, although I did miss a home game that year, a pulsating 0-0 against Sheffield United. First one I missed for about 9 years, an exam was to blame as I remember.

In those days, anything could happen, this game and the Cardiff debacle 3 days later would bear this out. Looking at the team, there were some good players there, and, it must be said, some not so good. But, they used to give everything they had, which is all you could ask.
    Looking at the date, it must have been one of Killers last games for us before he went to Gillingham. We ended that season getting buried 5-1 at Maine Road, if you said that in 12 months time we would be promoted people would have taken your beer away and tell you that you'd had enough. In typical CAFC style we managed to combine it with shooting ourselves in the foot by going to Sellout Park. That may have been discussed elsewhere....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll be , 3,802 then ! Stood on the east terrace with KillerKish ! Could have sworn Hales scored but obviously not.
  • Options
    I wasnt there, I was three weeks into basic training up at Harrogate as a boy soldier, I do however have a wonderful letter written by Lee Southern from Aylesbury, whos brother Dean posts on here as Ash Tray and Lee drew every goal in stick men! It still makes me laugh....
  • Options
    3803 just ask Big William!
  • Options
    3804......I was stood in the Covered End on the left side. I was so gutted after 25 minutes I seriously thought about leaving (Fickle uh) but the gates were closed and I couldnt find anyone to let me out.......thankfully :-)

I went and stood on the mound for a while....my son was just 4 weeks old......he just turned 27......now I feel old!
  • Options
    strange, I don't remember so few being there ... Futcher hat-trick stays in the memory. Covered End bar seemed as packed as usual drowning our sorrows at half-time ... and then we won :-)

Valley McM ... don't remember Spanners there for that one
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    On East Terrace with Dad/Grandad. Game had everything. I remember my Dad saying, if we pull one back before half time we've got a chance. This from a complete pessimist when it comes to Charlton!

Futcher sent off for swearing at Linesman. We heard it clearly and were half way up the bank (I guess sparse crowd helped). I do remember Hales playing, I remember he looked way off the pace - just returning from injury and was transfered not long after.

Very poor crowds that season, alot either side of 4K. That said, we were a very poor side. Remember Carlisle, Boro & Cardiff games were painful to watch. Towner useless, Aizlewood getting a lot of stick also (to name just 2!). Great games v Spurs in Cup and last home league game v Oxford provided some relief.
  • Options
    Was it kids for 20p for that game? ;-0
  • Options
    I remember being at that game as it was only a couple days after my 18th birthday !!!

..........in those days we (Large, myself & Jimmy Melrose) stood either side of the main stand, depending on which way we were kicking - first half we usually kicked towards the Jimmy Seed Stand and so we stood on the little bit of terrace between that end & the Main Stand (corner part where the police control is now) and little Jimmy used to stand on the gate which was used to let any ambulances onto the ground. Second Half we would walk round the back of the main stand and stand beneath the foodlights in the corner which is now the NW Quadrant

• Options
    One of the most memorable games from that period. Pretty sure the Covered End was all-seater by then, and that Moore played at centre half. But I remember it the most for Dowman's double - both headers I think? - and how a generally crap player with a worse haircut suddenly seemed to turn into a cult hero. Futcher's sending off was indeed for swearing at a linesman.
  • Options
    The Covered End was an all seater then. Went with a Mate and his Girlfriend who had never seen Charlton lose, she was a lucky charm that day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seats went in 1980-81 season.
  • Options
    I see Ronnie Moore ex-Barnsley was in our squad. I remember having a certificate on my bedroom wall, saying 'I Helped to Buy Ronnie Moore.' I think i donated a quid, lol. How times have changed at our club over the years.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I see Ronnie Moore ex-Barnsley was in our squad. I remember having a certificate on my bedroom wall, saying 'I Helped to Buy Ronnie Moore.' I think i donated a quid, lol. How times have changed at our club over the years.
    I thought he came from Rotherham? If not we signed the wrong one and I want my 50p back!
  • Options
    Moore came from Rotherham - he replaced Steve White. The Barnsley game with the MIllwall fans was 1980
  • Options
    Moore came from Rotherham - he replaced Steve White. The Barnsley game with the MIllwall fans was 1980
    I remember that one but no idea what the score was on the pitch.

• Options
    looks like 5,000 of the crowd that day post on here!
  • Options
    I thought he came from Rotherham? If not we signed the wrong one and I want my 50p back!
    Of course he did, my memory sometimes fails me, but whenever it does, there will be a Lifer on hand to put me straight. It's part of why i love this site. Not just for people retaining facts, but also all the details associated with the facts, lol. People, don't just recall going to a game in 1985 etc, they also remember who scored, who they went with and what pies were on sale at half time. Awesomely knowledgeable bunch.
  • Options
    looks like 5,000 of the crowd that day post on here!
    Not quite as bad as the Huddersfield 7-6 game in the late 50s! 12K turned up for pre christmas fixture. 750,000 claim to have been there..................
  • Options
    I thought I was one of the 5000 but perhaps it was a different game I saw? I could have sworn Ronnie Futcher's sending-off was the turning point but apparently we'd already pulled it back to 3-3 by then.

Or am I just getting confused between his sending-off and Gordon Owen's penalty miss?

Still, the fish and breadloaves were good!
  • Options
    Gawd I dont remember the seats in the covered end at that point at all....how weird.