Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympics - Closing Ceremony

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    My dad turned it off because he said Fatboy Slim was miming. I kid you not.
  • Options
    Overall absolutely brilliant effort, everyone on here is entitled to their opinions and we should never kill freedom of speech, for me I think we as Brits are sometimes too specifically critical of an event and maybe fail to simply enjoy the moment and marvel at the showcase that was presented to us, thne again critique and opinion is what it is all about so....
    I loved the Eric Idle slot and will happily take Annie Lennox Fat Boy Slim TT JJ ElBow, Madness and all the other artists as a cultural slice of Britain from the 60's through to present day even George Michael although he really did p**s me off using the moment to promote a new song producers really slipped up there and for me was only gaff of the evening, Roger Daltrey was amazing enjoyed LG to , I am a Madness fan and thought there set was excellent especially the flying SAX player, however, felt for poor old Suggs is losing his vocal power these days...overall I think it portayed the incredible contribution and influence of British music through the last 5 decades and apart from America possibly there is no other country in the world that can match our musical diversity and talent... our tiny island so proud at the moment....
    Now if the government can get their Sh*t together, make the UK a tax haven for the rest of the world so we can get our economy back on track and all start making some money again :)
  • Options
    Cla
    masicat said:

Classic.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Cla

masicat said:

Classic.
    In truth he most likely turned it off 'because' it was Fat boy Slim....now that I can understand.
  • Options
    Sorry NLA and Bing, I agree with you on most things, but here I'm with Bill Stumps. You surely have to admit that even if you disregard the fact that George Michael is a shocking role model, why on earth should he be allowed a platform to plug his failing career with some crap new single? Julien Temple nailed it for me: "like a bad night at the Brits".
    The only excuse I've heard that makes sense to me is that this was a party for the athletes benefit, and many of them were delighted to see the Spice Girls. But in that case, put out something in advance that lowers general expectations. As for the other excuses about low budget/ no rehearsal time; is that a documented fact?
  • Options
    There was two dress rehearsals for the opening ceremony I don't believe there was one for the closing mate

I think it was meant to be a bit of euro pop cheese for all the athletes a little party that's all and with it they tried to do bits to match the opening ceremony

It was put together with what was left from the opening ceremony

My view on it is it was not meant to be serious it was a light hearted attempt at entertaining the athletes with some music

I think George has his issues but he also donates huge amounts of money to charity as he believes that he has enough dough

The who was amazing

Spice girls are very iconic England in the 90s as was Liam

Considering the audience it was aimed at I believe that many a tourist will have gone home very happy
  • Options
    OK NLA you half persuaded me and I don't need persuading about the Who.
    The good thing is I've got the opening one preserved on my Sky+ , so when anyone asks me what Britain is about I just run them off a DVD of that.
  • Options
    The closing ceremony went fine, it didn't need 100 rehearsals, as it wasn't that sort of show.

It was more the quality of the acts hired that was slightly disappointing. It would be interesting to hear what the athletes thought of it, bearing in mind most would be under 30
  • Options
    I find it hard to credit that with seven years to prepare, and after making all that effort with the opening ceremony and the wonderful organisation that went into the games, it was left to someone to just throw something together for the close - a 'bit of euro pop' and stuff that was 'left from the opening ceremony'. Who would have made such a decision? There are plenty of better examples of europop than what we had anyway - what about Blue Monday by New Order, who were I believe performing at Hyde Park even while the closing ceremony was taking place? I didn't mind the Spice Girls and George Michael being there but why not an actual Wham reunion? And I do think that Imagine was inappropriate - it's an outdated unrealistic song about relinquishing nationality, possessions and faith while the Olympics are all about performing for your nation, winning gold and respecting other people's culture and beliefs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Friend of mine was one of the nurses in the opening ceremony, and she was saying they had 8 run throughs in the stadium, all the attention, all the money, and without the need to get acts as Underworld were writing the soundtrack.

The closing ceremony is a big cheesy party for the athletes, hence the music played, and its appeal beyond these shores. If the opening ceremony was essential British, this was more global.

The two stand by themselves, and the best bit, is Danny Boyle is release his edited version of the Opening Ceremony soon
  • Options
    I knew the closing ceremony before the event and had considered posting it on here. However, reconsidered and didnt do it for various reasons. Mostly not wanting to be a smartarse and ruin it. However, the bloke who told me painted the Michael Caine Only Fools and Horses part as the highlight. I was told ..Huge explosion, 3 wheeler appears out of the smoke, tne MC saying " Your only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" Then Del and Rodney appear together running dressed as batman and robin. Mak me wonder if this part went wrong?