Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricardo Fuller linked (ed. signed)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    IF he was fit I would have him despite his attitude. He could score 15 plus goals at this level if he is fit enough.
  • Options
    Would love Fuller down here, proper English-style battering ram forward - just the job in the CCC.

Fitness is an issue, obviously, but if the money was right he'd be a great addition to the squad.
  • Options
    Hmm unfinished business type player powelly likes to sign! Ie green, wilson haynes
  • Options
    Yes please...
  • Options
    Defiantly has unfinished business, maybe Powell was at the club when he was on trial all them years ago.

This was taken from a Jamaican newspaper..

"He was soon noticed by British talent spotters and won a trial with the British club Charlton. He got off to an exciting start with the British club, scoring five goals in three friendly matches. An even bigger British club, Liverpool, showed an interest, so Charlton quickly offered Fuller a contract. Soon after, the first of a series of medical disasters struck. As part of completing the contract negotiations, Charlton asked Fuller to take a medical. It was then that Fuller discovered that he had a serious back problem. Charlton promptly cancelled the contract and Fuller had to have a corrective operation and spent 13 months out of the game. As Fuller himself described it, "I was just 19 and Charlton had agreed to take me for £1.25 million. Then to have it all taken away from you because of the medical. I had never felt problems in my spine before. It was the lowest point of my life."

Interesting.

Better than Hayes and Smith so its a yes from me. I remember Tony Pullis saying on his day he is untouchable. Problem as everyone has pointed out is fitness but then that is the reason why we might actually have a chance in signing him I guess as its a risk.
  • Options
    Too tall....
  • Options
    I know him, through a friend, as mentioned on the rumour thread. He was looking for somewhere to train over the summer - last I heard. I've sent an email to my mate. I'll let you know what he says when he replies. Reckon good old Ricardo would do a cracking job for us - even twenty mins off the bench as he ended up doing at Stoke.
  • Options
    I can't imagine we'd get anywhere near his wage demands.
  • Options
    As the season starts and the window starts to close players without clubs will have to make a choice between lower wages or maybe no wages at all.

A fit Fuller would be a great signing but is he fit and do we have any money at all for another wage?

We seem to be umming and arghing over Dervite so can't see that we can afford much until Hayes, Clarke and Green are moved on or Tony finds some new friends.
  • Options
    Big gap between the Champ defences and the upper reaches of the Prem, he will be far more effective in this league (fingers crossed unless he signs for someone else)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There were big questions marks from Stoke fans last season regarding his fitness, it seemed to me he willing to take one last contract at Stoke and take a Jason Euell type dressing room role at the club but for the wages he was asking Pulis wasn't willing to do it. I know we can't afford to have the highest paid player at the club just being there as an impact sub and dressing room guru, therefore I hope this falls through.
  • Options
    Defiantly has unfinished business, maybe Powell was at the club when he was on trial all them years ago.

This was taken from a Jamaican newspaper..

"He was soon noticed by British talent spotters and won a trial with the British club Charlton. He got off to an exciting start with the British club, scoring five goals in three friendly matches. An even bigger British club, Liverpool, showed an interest, so Charlton quickly offered Fuller a contract. Soon after, the first of a series of medical disasters struck. As part of completing the contract negotiations, Charlton asked Fuller to take a medical. It was then that Fuller discovered that he had a serious back problem. Charlton promptly cancelled the contract and Fuller had to have a corrective operation and spent 13 months out of the game. As Fuller himself described it, "I was just 19 and Charlton had agreed to take me for £1.25 million. Then to have it all taken away from you because of the medical. I had never felt problems in my spine before. It was the lowest point of my life."

Interesting.

Better than Hayes and Smith so its a yes from me. I remember Tony Pullis saying on his day he is untouchable. Problem as everyone has pointed out is fitness but then that is the reason why we might actually have a chance in signing him I guess as its a risk.
    I remember Murray at the time saying that this would be a bit of a punt, as we had received a similar sum of money from the Defoe transfer.
  • Options
    I remember we helped him with his back operation and then his long rehab, before letting him move on for some reason. As said by Valley11, his game is based on strength and speed. Without it, he'd be half the player. It will need careful judgement by Powell and his staff, we can't make another Jason Euell type mistake where he was clearly well past his best (sadly).
  • Options
    Personally i wouldn't mind Fuller joining us. He is an experienced target man and can score goals.
  • Options
    Pay as you play deal = sorted :)
  • Options
    queensland I thought we paid for his back operation at the time
  • Options

queensland I thought we paid for his back operation at the time

Yes, I'm sure I read in the program at the time that we did. Also his rehabilitation. Which is why I thought it strange that we just let him go once he was fit. That said Curbs had some very good strikers at his disposal in those days.

• Options
    If wages could be agreed and fitness was there, why not, as someone else said Yann and Ric, good strike pairing in the Champ.
  • Options
    There is no truth in this, see final three pars of link below

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/9878489.Valley_striker_sees_move_collapse/

• Options
    We had him on trial under Curbs for a while and Powell will know him from those days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story NS!
  • Options
    Well not the first time the SLP made up a rumour, but hopefully Powell does indeed give him a call now haha
  • Options
    Powell laughed off reports linking him with Ricardo Fuller, confirming he had not had any contact with the former Stoke striker who is interesting fellow Championship club Middlesbrough.

“I was with Ricardo many years ago when he’d just come over from Jamaica”, Powell said.

“Now you’ve mentioned him, I’ll look into it!”
  • Options

Well not the first time the SLP made up a rumour, but hopefully Powell does indeed give him a call now haha

Was it the SLP? Thought it was some bloke called StokeAddick?

• Options
    Curbs fell out with him, his agent and his club Tivoli Gardens big time.
    They reneged on a `gentlemans agreement' re his operation and rehabilitation.
    I can't remember the exact details but remember Curbs was really furious.
  • Options

Or perhaps Powell hasn't been told because someone else thinks he's a good player and is signing him anyway.
  • Options
    Indubitably
  • Options
    According to Sunday Mirror and the Sun on Sunday today we are chasing Fuller along with Hull and Middlesbrough .
  • Options
    has powell not already said that we aren't?
  • Options
    yes, but it fills a bit of space in the papers.