Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Van Persie

Anyone else think it's a lot if money for a 29 year old injury prone player with a year left on his contract?

Especially when they have decent strikers and need central midfielders.

Comments

• Options
    link?
  • Options
    how much are we talking about
  • Options
    I think it's a good signing for United. It takes Arsenal out of the equation too ( if they were ever in it ).
  • Options
    £24m. On my phone so can't link, but it's on BBC Sport.
  • Options
    Arsenal just made the gap between themselves and United even greater
  • Options
    Cheers Beds.

And I don't doubt he's a quality player but think it's a high price.
  • Options
    Most Arsenal fans will be well pleased with the deal. 24m for an injury prone 30 year old with a year left on his contract.
  • Options
    if he carries on the form he's been on he's well worth £24m. but i agree they do need a central midfielder, but then again dont we all.
  • Options

Most Arsenal fans will be well pleased with the deal. 24m for an injury prone 30 year old with a year left on his contract.

say that all you went clem, no arsenal fan could be happy with that selling the best player in the league last year by a mile to a rival.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

say that all you went clem, no arsenal fan could be happy with that selling the best player in the league last year by a mile to a rival.
    how many did he score last year again?

• Options
    Rooney and RVP - Fatman and Robin
  • Options
    mparsons1 said:

how many did he score last year again?

37 goals.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Think that is a really bad move for Arsenal, they needed Van Persie to cling onto a top four place. But I suppose its no use keeping someone who clearly doesn't want to be there.
  • Options

Rooney and RVP - Fatman and Robin

Jail Bait and Granny date.

• Options

It represents good business. RVP wanted out. He has played one full season in the last 8.

Looking at the Arsenal twitter feeds most seem pleased with the deal.
  • Options
    dont see where their goals will come from now, especially if podolski gets injured
  • Options
    Think arsenal have made some good signings this summer. Podolski if he can play like he did at cologne and giroud has great potential. Don't know too much about cazorla, but sounds like he could be another good signing. At Least arsenal have made some decent signings this season to replace him unlike with nasri and fabregas. Hopefully they'll spend that 24m well and make the prem a bit more exciting! And if vp can perform for a few seasons like he did last year then 24m could be a bargain. I for one am excited to see I he and Rooney can make it work. Pretty sure I heard someone say hernandez fancied a year long loan at the valley too... ;)
  • Options
    I think Wenger knows what he's doing. Every year when Arsenal lose their big star everyone says that's it. Happened with Henry, those before him like Overmars & Petit, Cesc, Nasri & now RVP. Every season after they do what they always do and finish in the top four while another player or two shines for them.

Good bit of business for an injury prone striker with only a year left on his contract IMO.
  • Options
    Arsenal have been linked with getting Llorente who would be a quality replacement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012
    cafcpolo said:

I think Wenger knows what he's doing. Every year when Arsenal lose their big star everyone says that's it. Happened with Henry, those before him like Overmars & Petit, Cesc, Nasri & now RVP. Every season after they do what they always do and finish in the top four while another player or two shines for them.

Good bit of business for an injury prone striker with only a year left on his contract IMO.

Yep - and every year they get further away from making a real challenge for any trophies. Of course, it doesn't matter - there's no way they can hope to compete with Citeh, Manyoo and Chelski financially - and even though the financial fair play rules are set to come into force soon, the nouveau riche mobs will find ways round it. Must be pretty annoying being a Gooner. If they weren't almost universally complete mugs, I'd feel sorry for them.

Agree though, if they get Llorente that would be a superb signing. Might have legs as well, since the annual rumours linking him with Barca haven't been nearly as prevalent in this window. Maybe Vilanova doesn't rate him, but he's an awesome centre forward
  • Options
    Financial Fair play is already taken into account, just the punishments don't come in to the 2013/14 season

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/13/3303407/what-is-financial-fair-play-and-how-will-uefa-enforce-it-on?source=breakingnews
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    mparsons1 said:

dont see where their goals will come from now, especially if podolski gets injured

I've just had a punt e/w on Giroud @ 33/1. If they can't get anyone in this summer to replace him he'll get a lot more game time and had a great season last year.

• Options
    If they get Sahin and a defensive midfielder to replace Song if he goes, I'd be very impressed with Arsenal's dealings this summer.

Although theit defensI've back up is very average.
  • Options
    Bloody Hell, Arsenal would have been mid-table if RVP had not banged in 37 goals for them last season - hard to see them qualifying for the CL this season.

Podolski/Giroud are decent players but I doubt they'll score anything like 37 goals between them.

As for United, they have picked up a real star (and for 11 million cheaper than Carroll, although older) if they can get a midfielder in then it will be a very tight race again this year.
  • Options
    Arsenal really do need another centre back to go with Vermaelen otherwise they are just going to leak goals again.
  • Options

Financial Fair play is already taken into account, just the punishments don't come in to the 2013/14 season

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/13/3303407/what-is-financial-fair-play-and-how-will-uefa-enforce-it-on?source=breakingnews

There'll always be ways around it, haven't etihad sponsored the stadium for 400 mill ?

• Options
    edited August 2012

Arsenal really do need another centre back to go with Vermaelen otherwise they are just going to leak goals again.

Koscielny was probably their best defender last season so I think he's good enough, but definitely need better backup in that department
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Arsenal have been linked with getting Llorente who would be a quality replacement.

not a chance would he go