Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eye Surgery

Comments

• Options
    My boyfriend had it done about 2 years ago. He didn't really mind having glasses, but thought he might as well get it done.
    I think he is happier now. Can see in the shower, playing football and at other times... Yes. All in all if you can get it done, get it!
  • Options

Had it done in 2005 and still seeing fine since, although admittedly trying to see the shirt numbers on players' backs during night games can be a bit of a strain sometimes seven years on. I would recommend it strongly.

Ah ha....that would account for some of the bizarre comments you come up with in your night games reports!
  • Options
    That's my excuse anyway
  • Options

Golfaddict, you might know the following but if you dont hopefully you'll find it interesting: what you got is very rare, unfortunately it's runs in our family and we all have to have regular check ups, three of our family has been badly affected and 2 have had to have total retinal transplant one of which was a double transplant, the first was one of the first ever carried out in this country all has been 100% successful and all have ended up with near perfect eyesight although rather unusual they have different coloured eyes! Whilst the soft contact lenses can and do work they sometime become impractical if the conditions worsens and then retinal transplants become an option. At least you have been given the correct advice NOT to have laser surgery. It's only been in the last 10 years or so that this has been recognised and that people have started to look out for it (sorry no pun intended).

Hope all goes well and keep having regular check ups, would suggest that you do what we do and get everyone checked regularly, as an example my kids are checked once a year from the age of 4, before our family came along you would be told that it was not hereditary unfortunately we proved can be, and also that it's misses generations which makes it hard to pin down. Don't know what the figure is now but it was only 1 in million people who suffered with it about 15 years ago.

Hope this is useful for you as certainly when the diagnosis was made within our family around 15 years ago nothing was out there and very little information was available to such an extent that we had to tell the opticians about it, it's got a lot better now and people are now looking for it, hence the increase in cases.

Regards
    Kerry

many thanks Kerry - thats been a great help.
  • Options
    My wife and I had lazer surgery at Ultralase a few years ago and would certainly recommend it (and them) to anybody considering it. I went from glasses to contact lenses to allow me to play football when younger, but was struggling with poor vision when swimming on holiday as lenses don't work. I also liked the idea of waking up in the morning without the need for the whole contact lens procedure.
    My only regret was having to give up my perfect reading vision after the surgery and now needing reading glasses when I didn't need them before. There is also a lifetime care guarantee with Ultralase.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    delroofer said:
    My wife and I had lazer surgery at Ultralase a few years ago and would certainly recommend it (and them) to anybody considering it. I went from glasses to contact lenses to allow me to play football when younger, but was struggling with poor vision when swimming on holiday as lenses don't work. I also liked the idea of waking up in the morning without the need for the whole contact lens procedure. My only regret was having to give up my perfect reading vision after the surgery and now needing reading glasses when I didn't need them before. There is also a lifetime care guarantee with Ultralase.
     Thinking of getting it done. But needing glasses after forking out £4k has put me off slightly??

How's that work?
  • Options
    PS
    I've only just seen this!

;-)
  • Options
    Had lens replacement surgery I was to old for laser treatment, best thing I ever did. 3k an eye, did it while you wait too! 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Update on my condition (didn't realise I posted on this thread almost 9 years ago).

I have now had corneal grafts in both eyes & can now only wear scleral contact lenses. Before inserting into my eye they are filled with saline solution as it acts as a barrier/wetting agent on the eye. Problem is I can generally only wear them for around 4-5 hours (on a good day) and then have to take them out for a few hours before putting them back in again. No idea what I'm going to do about going to away games (train maybe ?) as any long distance trips will mean by the time I get to the match I will have to take my contact lenses out & not be able to see anything. 

I have been tested & fitted for normal glasses but an unable to wear them due to the shape of my eyes. I found an interesting article recently about a Hospital in Liverpool that is trailing glasses for keratoconus sufferers but the results are mixed & a solution is a few years off yet.  

I am still under the Consultant at Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead and have regular check ups (every 3 months or so) as there is always some issue or other. I've had an ulcer on one eye, multiple eye infections & general dry eye syndrome. 

Life is just one big barrel of laughs !
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I had mine done at Moorfields in December and went back last week for the follow up consultation .
    Lasik surgery i think it was
    I  was 50 when i had it done and he said its a bit older than theyd usually do .
    I couldnt get on with wearing glasses playing sport , cricket and tennis and contact lenses i couldnt get the hang of so went the lazy route .

The procedure was simple and a couple of months of drops etc

when i first started to look i could see my phone without glasses and i was told i had 20-20 vision the day after but that's not that great imo
    my night vision whilst driving was not great ,with night lights coming towards me , i'd see a big lorry or was it a bus or car or cyclist,  oh no its just a fucking house and that has improved over time but it's nowhere near as great as i'd hoped the improvement would be after my initial few days of being back out amongst the seeing.
    I'm happy with the procedure but my hopes were prolly higher than what turned out 
    The surgeon is very happy with how it's gone and said I'll get 5-10 years without needing glasses .
    Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night i struggle to read my ipad straight away but he said that's down to lighting .

I'd say 7.5/10 and if i could turn back time i'd still do it but i was hoping for a 9 and probably the impossible .

With my eyesight i had one eye made stronger for close up stuff and one made stronger for far away and apparently as time goes on the brain learns to deal with this .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    EastStand said:
    My boyfriend had it done about 2 years ago. He didn't really mind having glasses, but thought he might as well get it done. I think he is happier now. Can see in the shower, playing football and at other times... Yes. All in all if you can get it done, get it!
    We need more information on "at other times"  ;)
  • Options
    I am in my 70's and had worn glasses for severe short sight since I was 4. In 2019 I had cataracts removed and, as part of the procedure, had lenses put into both eyes. I was told it would be a month or so before my eyesight settled down. I asked what to do about new specs and was surprised to be told I wouldn't need them except possibly for reading. It's been amazing; just as they said, I no longer wear glasses except for reading. A big thanks to the NHS. 
  • Options
    I was a bit shocked to discover that I have a cataract in my right eye which is quite mature, and is the reason why I had been struggling with my sight in last few months. I'm "only" 68, but there we are, overall I've been lucky with my health so I guess I was due something.

I'm going to visit the clinic on Tuesday to discuss it, although I am fairly sure that I should have it done asap. The opthalmologist assured me that its 20 minutes, isnt painful with local anaest.,  (although I have heard the preparation part is more unpleasant than the op), and she seemed fairly sure it would be the right decision. Are there any other questions I should ask the clinic? Apparently I also have one in the left eye, but this is far less developed and my eye test readings for the left were more or less the same as 8 years ago, so I would feel I should wait and see how it goes with the operation for the right eye. Currently I wear varifocal glasses, having progressed to them from reading glasses eight years ago.

All thoughts, advice,. experiences, welcome!
  • Options
    I was a bit shocked to discover that I have a cataract in my right eye which is quite mature, and is the reason why I had been struggling with my sight in last few months. I'm "only" 68, but there we are, overall I've been lucky with my health so I guess I was due something.

I'm going to visit the clinic on Tuesday to discuss it, although I am fairly sure that I should have it done asap. The opthalmologist assured me that its 20 minutes, isnt painful with local anaest.,  (although I have heard the preparation part is more unpleasant than the op), and she seemed fairly sure it would be the right decision. Are there any other questions I should ask the clinic? Apparently I also have one in the left eye, but this is far less developed and my eye test readings for the left were more or less the same as 8 years ago, so I would feel I should wait and see how it goes with the operation for the right eye. Currently I wear varifocal glasses, having progressed to them from reading glasses eight years ago.

All thoughts, advice,. experiences, welcome!
    Me too. I'm 66, and during a recent eye test the optician discovered 'early stage' cataracts in both eyes. It's a massively common procedure which can greatly improve your vision, so I'll go for it when they advise me to. It's not supposed to be that painful, more uncomfortable, I believe.
    I've only been wearing glasses for about three months, but it means I can now identify players up the other end of the pitch (I'm in the Covered End Upper)!
    It's also greatly improved my cinema experience.
  • Options
    I was told I was told by my optician two weeks ago I needed to have cataracts done but I have put it off. She said no surgical procedure is without risk. That, and my reluctance to engage with the NHS over a non life threatening condition led to my ambivalence.
  • Options
    My Mum and a friend had surgery. One eye at time best and let it recover. If my mum can go through with it you will be fine!!!
  • Options
    I had eye surgery on both cataracts about 20 years ago, it was on private medicine and I had the lenses Lasered out and plastic lenses inserted. The operations were about three months apart. Upto then I had to wear glasses all the time, now I do not wear glasses and my eyesight at the age of 77 is better than when I was a teenager. There was no pain. I would recommend this to anyone if you have the same procedure that I had 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I had eye surgery on both cataracts about 20 years ago, it was on private medicine and I had the lenses Lasered out and plastic lenses inserted. The operations were about three months apart. Upto then I had to wear glasses all the time, now I do not wear glasses and my eyesight at the age of 77 is better than when I was a teenager. There was no pain. I would recommend this to anyone if you have the same procedure that I had 
    Another shout for this, although I didn’t have cataract issues I went to have laser treatment as working with the dogs and wearing glasses for a failing eyesight didn’t work to well and was costly after breaking several pairs.
    I was told laser treatment wasn’t an option and went for the lens replacement and lve never regretted it, I think I paid around 3 k per eye and eight years in still perfect vision. 
  • Options
    I had laser treatment about 18 years ago and the best decision I have made. The process can be slightly uncomfortable but anything when dealing with your eyes is somewhat unnerving. Just go for it!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I have an astigmatism (keritoconus) which has only just been diagnosed & I have been told that corective eye surgery is not possible. Instead I have had to change from soft contact lenses (which I have been wearing for over 25 years) to gas permeable ones. My eyesight is a lot better but the new lenses are a bugger. I have also been told that glasses are no good and the new lenses are the only things that will correct my "condition"
    Haven’t met anyone before with keratoconus. As you probably know it’s quite rare. I was diagnosed in 1990 and had cornea graft in 1991. Roll forward to 2022 and I’m still putting drops in every day and attending east grinstead every 6months. I’ve now exceeded the expected lifetime of the graft.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    I had laser treatment about 18 years ago and the best decision I have made. The process can be slightly uncomfortable but anything when dealing with your eyes is somewhat unnerving. Just go for it!
    I echo this. Had my right eye (which was my worst eye at -2.25, I think) lasered 19 or 20 years ago. Never had an issue with it then or since and my vision is as good now as it was then, even though I was led to believe it would deteriorate over time.
    It still amazes me that the brain is able to compensate for eyes at differing levels of vision. For instance, my right eye takes over for distance viewing, but is blurry close up on its own, but my left eye takes over for close up, for which it is perfect, but is blurry for anything more than a few feet.
  • Options
    I have an astigmatism (keritoconus) which has only just been diagnosed & I have been told that corective eye surgery is not possible. Instead I have had to change from soft contact lenses (which I have been wearing for over 25 years) to gas permeable ones. My eyesight is a lot better but the new lenses are a bugger. I have also been told that glasses are no good and the new lenses are the only things that will correct my "condition"
    Haven’t met anyone before with keratoconus. As you probably know it’s quite rare. I was diagnosed in 1990 and had cornea graft in 1991. Roll forward to 2022 and I’m still putting drops in every day and attending east grinstead every 6months. I’ve now exceeded the expected lifetime of the graft.
    Keratoconus runs through our family (even so it’s not meant to be hereditary). My middle brother and his daughter, plus my cousin all had cornea most double grants, my great ban was blind and they reckon it was also because of Keratconus. Before you snd golfaddick I had never heard of anyone outside our family that had this disorder, we all have to our eyes tested for this regularly and are (probably 10 years ago) where it’s has been found to run through the family, but what is surprising not all of us have it (although we are constantly monitored) and it appears to skip a generation.
  • Options
    Keratoconus runs through our family (even so it’s not meant to be hereditary). My middle brother and his daughter, plus my cousin all had cornea most double grants, my great ban was blind and they reckon it was also because of Keratconus. Before you snd golfaddick I had never heard of anyone outside our family that had this disorder, we all have to our eyes tested for this regularly and are (probably 10 years ago) where it’s has been found to run through the family, but what is surprising not all of us have it (although we are constantly monitored) and it appears to skip a generation.
    Wow, 2 people in one evening. I was diagnosed when I was 18, someone noticed a “grey” area on my eye which was the scarring from a tear in the cornea, I had no idea before then. My 2 daughters are checked every year and at 18 and 21 there are thankfully no signs. It’s a tough condition to deal with, dryness of eyes, the struggle of seeing the depth of stairs when walking down them. I have cateracts now forming but putting off any surgery based on consultant advice as it add risk to graft. Will need to be done in 2 or 3 years though.
  • Options
    I wrote on this thread 10 years ago about my laser surgery for shortsight. That surgery was 22 years ago now. I think my eyesight was fine for about 15 years but then deteriorated back to shortsight, although not as bad as before the surgery. I therefore had to revert glasses/lenses. Recently, however, my short sight has improved and I now only need glasses for reading (although I do wear varifocals so my sight is improved all round). My interest in this thread, now though, is regarding kerataconus, as my son has it. He has a contact lens but finds it very uncomfortable, so I'm interested in the scouse glasses. Will get him to do some research. 
  • Options
    My son has Keratoconus, and underwent a procedure called Crosslinking in his late teens, and has stabilised the condition, (he is now nearly 30) 
    He is very sanguine about it and just gets on with things, he had a really good Opthalmist  at QMs in Sidcup. 
  • Options
    Mine had that too, 3 or 4 years ago. He's 27 now and his only issue really us that he finds his contact lens very uncomfortable, but needs to wear it particularly when driving at night, otherwise all lights are blurred.
  • Options
    Had cataract ops on both eyes 4 years ago (a month apart) at age of 63. Could have left it a bit longer before having the second one done, but the surgeon recommended getting it done rather than deferring. No problems and only need glasses for reading. Had worn specs since I was 7 years old and prior to this had never driven without glasses. 
  • Options
    My mother had both eyes done for cataracts 3 years ago. One notable side affect, is while previously she was short sighted (i.e. had to wear glasses to see distant items), the new lenses gave her really good distance viewing, but meant she had to use reading glasses for the first time

She also had a common issue afterwards, where the lenses slightly frosted over after the operation. There was a wait to get it done on the NHS, but this just required a simple laser treatment taking 10 minutes.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    ross1 said:
    Another shout for this, although I didn’t have cataract issues I went to have laser treatment as working with the dogs and wearing glasses for a failing eyesight didn’t work to well and was costly after breaking several pairs.
    I was told laser treatment wasn’t an option and went for the lens replacement and lve never regretted it, I think I paid around 3 k per eye and eight years in still perfect vision. 
    So your choice of fashion is not down to poor eyesight.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm much reassured by what's been said about the cataract op, and it looks like the main decision will be whether to have the left one done at the same time; I tend to think not yet, per @HardyAddick,  as it is not much developed, but I will see what the surgeon recommends. Great to see that the thread has also helped bring together people with less common issues. It's another example of how great CL can be.