Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eye Surgery

13»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm much reassured by what's been said about the cataract op, and it looks like the main decision will be whether to have the left one done at the same time; I tend to think not yet, per @HardyAddick,  as it is not much developed, but I will see what the surgeon recommends. Great to see that the thread has also helped bring together people with less common issues. It's another example of how great CL can be. 
    After I had my first op I had a consultation with my surgeon and he said the other eye was going the same way, not sure if I believed him totally, but as it would mean never wearing glasses again and my eyesight would be better than before I agreed to have the second operation 
  • Options
    Am having cataract surgery in 2 weeks' time.  Had them diagnosed several years ago and my Optician referred me after my most recent check up. Have been short sighted since age 12. How have those who have had the op done managed to cope vision wise between having first eye done and second one operated on? There doesn't seem to be clear cut advice on this. Has anyone had success with removing the lens from your glasses on the operated side?

How about driving?  There is no public transport where I live so being able to drive again is pretty important.

I have to see the optician 6 weeks after op and I know I am not going to get perfect vision as I have astigmatism.

Any advice gratefully received.
  • Options
    Hope you receive the advice & feedback you need, dear friend and that all goes well for you in a fortnight's time. 

Please let us know how the surgery goes when you're able to. x
  • Options
    Hope you receive the advice & feedback you need, dear friend and that all goes well for you in a fortnight's time. 

Please let us know how the surgery goes when you're able to. x
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Am having cataract surgery in 2 weeks' time.  Had them diagnosed several years ago and my Optician referred me after my most recent check up. Have been short sighted since age 12. How have those who have had the op done managed to cope vision wise between having first eye done and second one operated on? There doesn't seem to be clear cut advice on this. Has anyone had success with removing the lens from your glasses on the operated side?

How about driving?  There is no public transport where I live so being able to drive again is pretty important.

I have to see the optician 6 weeks after op and I know I am not going to get perfect vision as I have astigmatism.

I'm having the same op. in two weeks time also.
    Slight complication with me due to an accident with my eye when I was a child, so there was a bit of investigation by a consultant.
    They say that all should be well, but I have to admit to being a bit worried.  
  • Options

I'm having the same op. in two weeks time also.
    Slight complication with me due to an accident with my eye when I was a child, so there was a bit of investigation by a consultant.
    They say that all should be well, but I have to admit to being a bit worried.  
    I had my left eye surgery in October 2020.
    I needed glasses for driving. Was allowed to drive a week later but took lense out. 2 months later had right eye done and a week later driving with no glasses. You will not believe how bright and colourful everything is. Still need glasses for reading though.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  You've all been a great help.  Am having it done at Beneden on the 18th. 

I had to smile at the admission letter which states:

'You will be ready to leave the hospital approx 30 mins after your operation You are advised NOT to drive yourself on discharge'
  • Options
    My wife had her hip replaced at Benenden Hospital, fantastic hospital, but getting to it by car is like driving a stage of the Monte Carlo Rally .
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    My son has Keratoconus, and underwent a procedure called Crosslinking in his late teens, and has stabilised the condition, (he is now nearly 30) 
    He is very sanguine about it and just gets on with things, he had a really good Opthalmist  at QMs in Sidcup. 
    Mine too, but his crosslinking procedure was performed when he was 17. He was lucky in the the condition was picked up by an optician who happened to have previously worked at Moorfields. He also has regular checks, the next one being on Tuesday. 
    As I mention back in October, was diagnosed with early signs of cataracts last year, and will probably need surgery in three or fours years. 
  • Options
    My wife had her hip replaced at Benenden Hospital, fantastic hospital, but getting to it by car is like driving a stage of the Monte Carlo Rally .
    I had microfracture done on my ankle at Benenden having to be there at 7AM, woke up in the early morning to find it snowing. That was fun getting there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had microfracture done on my ankle at Benenden having to be there at 7AM, woke up in the early morning to find it snowing. That was fun getting there.
    Fortunately only live about 8 miles away. Will still leave plenty of time though as they love a road closure round my way.
  • Options
    In case it helps, short update on my eyes following my op in early December. I had the right eye done, and was advised by the clinic to review my left eye situation “in the Spring”. However my opthalmologist, who has checked it three times since then, reckons it will probably be a year before I might need it ( the cataract is far less developed than the RH one was) .

If i were writing this 4 weeks ago I might have expressed some disappointment with the outcome. I now need readers more than I did, this was expected as the lens I chose was selected to optimise my longer sight. But I felt it had not quite delivered, especially when sitting in the car, I felt it might be advisable still to wear my varifocals for driving. However that might have been down to the car, brand new and bristling with “information”. Also I have suffered from the right eye being a bit watery. However right now it  all seems to have improved. Others have said to me that it can take time to get to 100% of the expected improvement. The constant need to have readers at hand is a bit of a faff, but I’m getting used to it. 

So I didnt quite come away from the op into an amazing new world of light and colour but it may be because my situation was not so bad to start off with. i am getting a pair of varifocals with new photochromic lenses done, just for driving. Overall, happy with the outcome.
  • Options
    In case it helps, short update on my eyes following my op in early December. I had the right eye done, and was advised by the clinic to review my left eye situation “in the Spring”. However my opthalmologist, who has checked it three times since then, reckons it will probably be a year before I might need it ( the cataract is far less developed than the RH one was) .

If i were writing this 4 weeks ago I might have expressed some disappointment with the outcome. I now need readers more than I did, this was expected as the lens I chose was selected to optimise my longer sight. But I felt it had not quite delivered, especially when sitting in the car, I felt it might be advisable still to wear my varifocals for driving. However that might have been down to the car, brand new and bristling with “information”. Also I have suffered from the right eye being a bit watery. However right now it  all seems to have improved. Others have said to me that it can take time to get to 100% of the expected improvement. The constant need to have readers at hand is a bit of a faff, but I’m getting used to it. 

So I didn't quite come away from the op into an amazing new world of light and colour but it may be because my situation was not so bad to start off with. i am getting a pair of varifocals with new photochromic lenses done, just for driving. Overall, happy with the outcome.

Thanks for this - your level of eyesight sounds very much like mine and glad to hear that yours is now settling down.  I have already been 'warned' that I will almost certainly still need glasses for driving.  As I have a high level of astigmatism in one eye and to a lesser degree in the other - the mono lens for sight distance I have opted for won't correct the astigmatism.  Having said that one of the possible 'cons' for multifocal lenses was glare and halos, which I don't fancy. I have already been listed for the other eye so hope to have that done midsummer. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Had it done late yesterday afternoon. Not the most pleasant of procedures but wasn't expecting it to be.  Blurry last night but much clearer vision this morning.  Slight flickering and eye red and uncomfortable rather than painful.  Should be called for other eye in a month. Thanks again everyone for your advice.
  • Options
    That's great news !