Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Hull | 25th August 2012 | Match Preview, Predictions, Teams, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Introduction

There is a certain buzz that has infected Charlton fans since the season started. After what was a quiet and at times discontented summer, two excellent results against a duo of promotion favourites – a draw away at Birmingham and a win against feeder club Leicester – sees Chris Powell’s men going into Saturday’s game against Hull with a sense that they can really compete in the Championship this season. The half time introduction of Ricardo Fuller during the Leicester game was described as a “signal of intent” by Chris Powell and judging by Stoke fans’ reaction could provide a welcome boost to the squad once he is fit. Saturday’s opponents Hull beat Brighton 1-0 in the opening game of the season but suffered a reverse of that result against the ever popular Steve Kean’s Blackburn on Wednesday night.

Opposition

Hull have had a busy summer since the epitome of the Manager’s Merry-Go-Round, Steve Bruce took over at the KC stadium. Their headline signing of German forward Nick Proschwitz from SC Paderborn (£2.5m) has been supplemented with the capture of long-time rumoured Charlton target Sone Aluko from Scottish 3rd Division battlers Rangers whilst Abdoulaye Faye comes into the midfield. Hull also have threats from Matty Fryatt and Robert Koren and expectations around Humberside have risen considerably to the extent that the playoffs are the minimum requirement.

Potential Line Up

Three games in a week will test any squad, yet Charlton still seem to be suffering from a distinct lack of depth on the bench which means Chris Powell and his team will have to manage the troops as best they can. In particular, captain Johnnie Jackson and Dale Stephens looked tired with 25 minutes to go on Tuesday night and there is a slight concern that one more game may result in a drop of performance levels but that remains to be seen.

An unchanged line-up is more than likely at The Valley come Saturday with the Charlton defence in particular looking as strong as it did last season. With Captain Jackson unlikely to be dropped, the fleetingly impressive Jordan Cook will patiently sit on the sidelines until he gets his chance with Bradley Pritchard managing to keep the two natural right wingers in Green and Wagstaff out of the team. It was great to see preferred striking duo, Yann Kermorgant and Bradley Wright-Phillips both get up and running on Tuesday, and hopefully the imminent threat to a starting place in terms of Ricardo Fuller will push them both on in the coming weeks.

Prediction

Will three intense and high tempo games be too much for Charlton? A fast start and early lead may allow us to dictate the pace a bit easier than we did against the Foxes but Hull have a decent attacking threat that we will need to be aware of. Most Charlton fans would’ve bitten your hand off for five points from the first three games looking at the opposition, and that’s what we’ll end up with. 2-2.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to go for a 1-0 Charlton, with Hollands scoring a tap in.
  • Options
    Can't help but this will be after the Lord Mayor's Show. 0-2. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    "the ever popular Steve Kean’s Blackburn." nice.

hope for a win be pleased with a draw, dont want to lose out in the final stages which could happen. go with 1-1.
  • Options
    Hull will suffer this year from 'SteveBruceitis', putting on a smiley front, being nice to everybody, plump and content, talking a good game and finishing in mid table or worse. Stop Koren and you stop Hull. CAFC 2 V Hull City 0
  • Options
    3-1 quality for 80 percent of the game ...
  • Options
    A hard fought win by a one goal margin.
  • Options
    Similar to the game v our feeder club (lol)

They will attack with pace and skill, we will defend resolutely and take all three points from a couple of set pieces.
  • Options
    On paper, this is a tough test. They have some very good players. Fortunately for us we play on grass so I'm going to stick my neck and say that I don't think that we'll lose.
  • Options
    Yes, Hull have made some decent signing but I just don't rate Bruce. They lost yesterday and have a day's less recovery and no team rests players for league games this early so that will play in our favour.

Also I think we will get a decent crowd and a good atmosphere and a 3-0 win to match - BWP is in the zone and JJ has gone two game without scoring so is due one.
  • Options
    Good preview.

Never been a fan of Bruce as a manager, but they have some good offensive players, Koran in particular I rate.

Tight game and draw seems most likely.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 out 3 nods to potential "lols" so far...
  • Options
    If someone said "you'll take 2 points from Leicester at home and Birmingham away," I would've bitten their hand off.

I think it will be another draw.

2-2 with Pritchard getting the first and BWP getting the second as he sees Fuller taking off his training bib.
  • Options
    A tight 1-0 to the addicks. BWP to continue his good form with a tap in.
  • Options
    2-0 to us.

Another wide open, pacy game but our defense is tight as usual and we get a goal either side of the break. JJ and Solly with the goals.
  • Options
    whatever CP might have said today I reckon Fuller will be on the bench ready for a 15 minute cameo
  • Options
    I think the game may well be an antonym of Tuesdays game and a hard fought boring ground out 1-0 win will be the result. Jackson penalty 83 mins.
  • Options
    2 0 to us BWP and Jackson, Hull have good players but sadly for them they have Steve Bruce as manager, so will have a poor season.
  • Options
    Hope i'm wrong but can see a 0-1 scoreline.
  • Options
    Newshopper asked if he would play Fuller, CP said he hadn't thought of that but it's something he'll look into.
  • Options
    2-0 for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Brunello said:

I think the game may well be an antonym of Tuesdays game and a hard fought boring ground out 1-0 win will be the result. Jackson penalty 83 mins.

Antonym my arse. lol.

• Options
    sunbury_addick is coming with me on saturday so we are bound to lose, 0-2
  • Options
    1-0 for me too. A tense, nervous, tired looking performance with Morrison scoring with a header from a free-kick in the last 15 minutes. Further details available on request :-)

• Options
    1-1 which will be a very good result
  • Options
    1-0 to charlton followed by people getting over excited and expectations rising but in a healthy way.
  • Options

sunbury_addick is coming with me on saturday so we are bound to lose, 0-2

Harsh - only saw us lose twice (out of 10) last year - Stevenage and Fulham
  • Options
    2-1
  • Options
    1-1 hanging on but getting the draw then ready for a weeks rest before beating forest
  • Options
    Spankie said:

Can't help but this will be after the Lord Mayor's Show. 0-2. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah unfortunately that's the way I'm leaning, we have to come back down to earth soon, right ?
  • Options
    4-1 Charlton

Steve Bruce sacked on Sunday