Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tracey Emin's exhibition at Turner Contemporary Margate

Comments

• Options
    We do her accounts at work so she's sometimes in the office.

I think she has even made one of her used tampons into a piece of art. Weird.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Emperors new clothes indeed. Anyone can do what she does. I could do it easy. The problem is my name is not Tracey Emin

You 'could do it easy ' but you didn't,and you most likely never will.
  • Options
    For me Her drawings bring together a dialogue representing sexuality and memories which i think question love and despair.
    The bronze Statue on a mattress could represent a symbol of the distance and isolation of a relationship.
    The mattress is exhibited in a large room and is given a large space which i think makes the statue look Vulnerabil.The purpose i get from looking at the pictures and mattress is a sense of seperation and loss which is maybe something she ie trying to get accross.This could be a feeling and expression from her youth.
    That's what i got from it.
  • Options
    So, what do all you budding Brian Sewells think of the Northumberlandia sculpture?
  • Options

So, what do all you budding Brian Sewells think of the Northumberlandia sculpture?

just had to google it... yeah, love it. can't quite explain why.

• Options
    Shrew said:

3blokes said:

That's fair enough Badger you went and that is what it did for you.
    My only point on what you've said is if I placed a sofa in a gallery and put a silver plated banana on it, is that equally as valid as Tracey's work? As in you can discuss it and it can be anything you want?
    I am really not trying to be facetious on this, I am just trying to understand what the value of it is.

I feel the value is wether the artwork, or the concept behind the artwork creates some sort of change in the way you look at or perceive the world around you. A very skilfully painted picture is often quite easily forgotten, yet some images, installations, sculptures stay with us or get us to look at things or ourselves differently. I remember a very cynical guy I was doing gardening for talked about going to the tate modern feeling scathing about what he was seeing, then he spent a while looking at a piece of work by Rothko a huge blue canvas and ended up in emotional tears.

That's it exactly for me. Take time, look at something, walk around it, sit down, empty your head and just stare and let your mind go into freefall. Some images and feelings have remained forever in my mind and they are like precious jewels to me. I don't know why or how it happens, much less care. I'm just thankful that I live in a country that values arts of all kinds.
  • Options

An impression of how the massive earth sculpture is intended to look- Northumberlandia
  • Options
    Is this now a would ya? :-)
  • Options
    After reading all the comments here i am going to visit margate to see tracy emin's work. Was thinking of going but you have made me really curious.
  • Options

^^^ like if a tree falls in a forest and no-one is about to hear it .. does the tree falling make a sound .. over to you Jean Paul Sartre

Ah! But if tree falls in a forest and hits a mime, does anyone care?
    Said by someone else.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the replies on this, I have thought about this quite a lot over the weekend, and even looked at some other sites about ol' Trace.
    If I am honest I still feel that what I saw in the gallery was not art, at least for me, though I appreciate that it is for others.
    I suppose the fundamental problem I have with it, is that if i took a branch and a mattress into that gallery they would call security and probably put half of it somewhere where the sun doesn't shine ( which might be an interesting exhibit in its own right). But if Tracey Emin presents it as a display, it is a thing to study and it has value.
    The only difference is the name and the "idea". I'm just not sure that is sufficient personally for it to be truly classed as artistic.
    But I doubt Tracey gives a monkey what some bloke on CL thinks eh :-)
  • Options
    3blokes I think you'll find some art critics in agreement with you and TBH I'm a bit dubious on her latest exhibition. As it's free, I will go and see what I think but I sense that I am going to be underwhelmed. But.......................

at Chatham Historic dockyards there is an art exhibition by Billy Childish, cultish son of Medway and formerly Emin's partner. Frozen estuaries and oyster smacks are the subjects.

http://www.thedockyard.co.uk/NetsiteCMS/pageid/1023/Billy Childish.html

It's on until the end of the month and the the paintings are vividly beautiful.
  • Options
    Does anyone think that if she did a self portrait it would come out looking like one of those Picasso paintings?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    3 Blokes - try the Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park where there is an free exhibition by Yoko Ono. And the installation (Pavillion) outside by Wei Wei et al. Would be interesting to hear your views.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    sports fans generally do not make good art critics so I can understand some of the interesting opinions and comments. Some people have a greater passion for art others prefer the passion of watching sport, both can be emotional but for different reasons. I am sure an artist could say that why do you routinely watch the same thing at the same stadia, same songs etc. The beauty that's watched at The Valley at times has definitely been in the eyes of the beholder so as humans naturally opinion will always be divided. That's what a sports fan an artist will secretly always want.
  • Options
    Regardless of what you think of Emin, you cannot dispute the fact that she's critically acknowledged as being an artist and it follows that anything she displays in an exhibition is art.
    The real issue is whether it is good or bad art which, of course, is wholly subjective.
  • Options

those fools who can see something in it.

Bit harsh fella? I could equally say you are too stupid to see something in it, but I wouldn't, because it is all about opinion, no one is right or wrong.
    And you are equally entitled to make that observation. I am honestly stating my opinion which is that her work is rubbish, but if people want to pay big money and appreciate it they can. I can call them fools because they are in my eyes - I may be wrong but can only comment from my perspective.

• Options
    The exhibition is free.
  • Options
    I think we have a pass for Chatham Dockyard so might have a look at the exhibition there this weekend Stilladdicted thanks for the info.
    And Solid, I'll try to get up and look at that one too at some point in the near future.
    But I reckon if we can stick a few past Palace next week we might all agree that is a truly thing of beauty ;-)
  • Options
    barstool said:

sports fans generally do not make good art critics so I can understand some of the interesting opinions and comments. Some people have a greater passion for art others prefer the passion of watching sport, both can be emotional but for different reasons. I am sure an artist could say that why do you routinely watch the same thing at the same stadia, same songs etc. The beauty that's watched at The Valley at times has definitely been in the eyes of the beholder so as humans naturally opinion will always be divided. That's what a sports fan an artist will secretly always want.

I'm in the 'eye of the beholder' camp which To me means that trying to explain art is pretentious. So, with that in mind and with the Olympics and Paralympics in progress and the success of the Lottery funding, is now a good time to make the percentage that goes to sport or the arts (currently 20% each) a decision you can make when you hand over your £1 ? ie this week I'd like my 40p to support sport. BTW I'm not saying its practical to do it this way!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Slag Alice continues to divide opinion. It reminds me of nu-age Glasto stuff, all crystals, Wicca, Reike and harmonious muzak with endless dreary bad paintings celebrating goddess earth etc. I'd rather have unadulterated landscape but as this is on slag heaps, I guess it is a good way to cover industrial waste and to attract new people to a beautiful but struggling part of the UK. Big tho' innit?

• Options
    Of all the ways imaginable to waste £2.5 million, Slag Alice must be one of the most bizarre and grotesque. Art reverts back to pre history when superstitious men made gods and devils from the landscape. Utter Fucking Rubbish. £2.5 million would have been a good seed fund for a college or an education centre where young Northumbrians living in quite a 'deprived' area of England could come to learn and get a start in life. To waste it on this monstrosity would be laughable were it not so stupid, facile and moronically childish
  • Options
    As has been said before, Lincs, you could argue about funding anything other than health and education is a waste of money...
  • Options

As has been said before, Lincs, you could argue about funding anything other than health and education is a waste of money...

This is a very complicated subject .. I am about to go out but will try to respond to your very astute argument later.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

just had to google it... yeah, love it. can't quite explain why.

Frankly Cramlington is a dump so anything vaguely pretty is good for the area.
  • Options

Of all the ways imaginable to waste £2.5 million, Slag Alice must be one of the most bizarre and grotesque. Art reverts back to pre history when superstitious men made gods and devils from the landscape. Utter Fucking Rubbish. £2.5 million would have been a good seed fund for a college or an education centre where young Northumbrians living in quite a 'deprived' area of England could come to learn and get a start in life. To waste it on this monstrosity would be laughable were it not so stupid, facile and moronically childish

Even though it is private money?

Lincs you sometimes come out with some decent comments but this is definitely not one of them
  • Options
    No such thing as "private money" according to some on here - its all for the people.
  • Options
    Hex said:

barstool said:

I'm in the 'eye of the beholder' camp which To me means that trying to explain art is pretentious. So, with that in mind and with the Olympics and Paralympics in progress and the success of the Lottery funding, is now a good time to make the percentage that goes to sport or the arts (currently 20% each) a decision you can make when you hand over your £1 ? ie this week I'd like my 40p to support sport. BTW I'm not saying its practical to do it this way!
    The Tate which has become the most visited Museum in the world and one of the biggest tourist attractions in London needs the Arts Council funding via the Lottery to survive and remain a free entry space. If you give people a choice then it may impact on these type of sites and we will lose these valuable culture establishments that attract tourists to the UK.
  • Options
    barstool said:

Hex said:

barstool said:

The Tate which has become the most visited Museum in the world and one of the biggest tourist attractions in London needs the Arts Council funding via the Lottery to survive and remain a free entry space. If you give people a choice then it may impact on these type of sites and we will lose these valuable culture establishments that attract tourists to the UK.
    Possibly, but then by inference, are you saying that it wouldn't be a big attraction if there was an entrance fee ? Having been there a few years back I found that there were a few exhibits that I liked (see above) but most of the time (as with most people there ?) I just shook my head in disbelief.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Even though it is private money?

Lincs you sometimes come out with some decent comments but this is definitely not one of them
    Lincs prefers public money to be spent of things like bridges in Humberside that he benefits from

: - )