Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most scared at a charlton game

Comments

• Options
    I remember a game at the Valley v Tottenham late 70s , there was still terracing in the North and East stands. I was about 12. I remember a shout going up that Millwall were in the North and all hell broke loose. I was in the East. This was later featured on a BBC documentary about "typical" football hooliganism which was odd because I never saw anything else like it at the Valley again. We won 4-1 !!
  • Options
    lol forgot about the pub in Hereford

i eased my way out towards the back of the pub when it kicked off -translated i shit it

boro away the tommy caton one i remember receiving the milk bottles before the game

and st andrews v leeds when our away following was slightly outnumbered although after that victory no one could hurt a charlton fan we were as high as kites
  • Options
    West Ham away in early 80's - remember leaving the ground and the home fans literally waiting andf stoning the departing Charlton fans as they left the gate.
    Home v Brighton in the late 70's when they set fire to the Home stand.
    Spurs Away in early 80's - remember being crushed against a crash barrier during a crowd surge. Couldn't do anything to stop the surge and look at what happened at Hillsborough!
  • Options
    Home v Brighton in the late 70's when they set fire to the Home stand.

eh! presume you mean Chelski
  • Options
    Leeds second leg of play off. Went to bog at half time and my legs were like jelly. Only got married 3 weeks before and thought I was a goner! Soooooooooo glad to see they bought the coaches into the ground at half time.

Chelsea '88 kept in ground for 45 minutes. Thought we would get murdered outside but no one there when we came out - such a relief

Pompey away Easter Saturday 1976ish (Oxford away previous day) arrived by coach ridicuously early. Walking towards Fratton end and saw a mob of Pompey. Was only 15 at time, but they came down road and picked on about three of the bigger lads (Nick Tondeur?) and I was terrified. Got in ground about 1pm and never said a word to my two friends all game.
  • Options
    pjs35 said:

Charlton v Barnsley 1981. Millwall were at the game and the Covered End was closed for new seating. Whole game seemed to be running battles with Millwall in the old away end. Carried on outside for a while and was then threatened on the train going back to London Bridge. Me & a mate were sitting next to 2 elderly gentleman which saved us from a kicking when Millwall entered out carriage. They made a comment that they would leave us alone as we were with our Grandad's! Escaped at London Bridge being chased by 20 Millwall. Fastest I've ever run all the way back to Fenchurch Street.

They turned up for that because their boys got beaten up at Ipswich (they turned up for our cup match at Portman Road). When we played Millwall a few months later in the league there was not a Charlton fan in sight.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
  • Options
    Harlow away in 1980. A load of their fans left early. When we got to the station they were all waiting and ran towards the Charlton fans. me an my brother cut across a field and made straight for the station. A couple of them half chased us but theer were some police with dogs around so they chased some other Charlton fans back towards the ground.

Same season v Millwall - fans on the East Terrace parted like the Red Sea. Millwall fans were standing at the top pelting the Charlton fans below with coins.
  • Options
    A pre season friendly or testimonial against Arsenal in the mid 70s.

Pompey early 80s at the valley - a running battle throughout the game.

Twerton Park, though I was very pissed.

Chelsea in 88 - as said before, thankfully they weren't waiting outside!

Millwall away mid 80s when I stood on my own very quietly in the away end.

Never against palace though.
  • Options

Harlow away in 1980. A load of their fans left early. When we got to the station they were all waiting and ran towards the Charlton fans. me an my brother cut across a field and made straight for the station. A couple of them half chased us but theer were some police with dogs around so they chased some other Charlton fans back towards the ground.

The pub before the game was quite er, interesting.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wolves in the FA Cup in the 70's - I was a teenager and went with my dad to Molyneaux. I vividly remember walking through a subway to get to the ground and hundreds of Wolves fans came running through in the opposite direction. As a young girl I was pretty scared.
  • Options
    Never been scared at a footy match but then again I've only been going since 2002 so less violence etc.
  • Options

After the Millwall drubbing 4-0 a few seasons ago i enter the bunch of grapes at London Bridge had a glass put under me chin and bloke jumping round like he had won the lottery because a charlton fan had a arrived. I wont be going back this year for a pint.

Nor would I when it's over £4 a pint. Stinks in there too.

So this geezer smashed the glass under your chin?

• Options

pjs35 said:

Charlton v Barnsley 1981. Millwall were at the game and the Covered End was closed for new seating. Whole game seemed to be running battles with Millwall in the old away end. Carried on outside for a while and was then threatened on the train going back to London Bridge. Me & a mate were sitting next to 2 elderly gentleman which saved us from a kicking when Millwall entered out carriage. They made a comment that they would leave us alone as we were with our Grandad's! Escaped at London Bridge being chased by 20 Millwall. Fastest I've ever run all the way back to Fenchurch Street.

They turned up for that because their boys got beaten up at Ipswich (they turned up for our cup match at Portman Road). When we played Millwall a few months later in the league there was not a Charlton fan in sight.
    Millwall travelled all the way to Ipswich for Ipswich v Charlton?

• Options
    I certainly did not reveal my southern accent as I left St Andrews after the Leeds play off. I didnt see anything nasty but there was a heavy atmosphere.

I also remember some trouble at Portsmouth when I was a youngster. I was just two or three people away from some lads that got grabbed and savagely attacked.
  • Options
    Fulham away in the cup last season.

Some rowdy people stood and there was lots of noise and bustle.

Very uncouth.
  • Options

After the Millwall drubbing 4-0 a few seasons ago i enter the bunch of grapes at London Bridge had a glass put under me chin and bloke jumping round like he had won the lottery because a charlton fan had a arrived. I wont be going back this year for a pint.

Nor would I when it's over £4 a pint. Stinks in there too.

So this geezer smashed the glass under your chin?

He wasn't just any old geezer sparrows. He was a pwoppa nawty geezer looking for a bit of aggro santos. He twatted his benny foster and started getting lively. Next minute he slams his Jimmy glass under someones chin before flooring a couple of OB and headbutting a police horse. Nawty
  • Options
    Rotherham at home last season, got my johnson caught in my zipper at half time. Absolutely terrifying
  • Options

At the Valley in the early 80's when Chelsea stormed the Covered end. I was only a young teenager and I remember a hoard of thugs ran from the Covered End onto the East Terrace - frightened the life out of me.

I remember that being the first time I was scared at a footie match, especially as my uncle had a set-to with one of the Chealsea thugs for pushing his father-in-law out of the way.

• Options

Same season v Millwall - fans on the East Terrace parted like the Red Sea. Millwall fans were standing at the top pelting the Charlton fans below with coins.

I got bitten (not seriously) by a police dog at that game, standing on the grass bank.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea in 88 ???? FFS the only time they ran away in the ground and after ?????? and didnt turn up at Villiers St or Charring Cross ------------------i dont get where anyone would be scared ?
  • Options

Chelsea in 88 ???? FFS the only time they ran away in the ground and after ?????? and didnt turn up at Villiers St or Charring Cross ------------------i dont get where anyone would be scared ?

I think it was the anticipation of getting battered, not the reality, that was scary.
  • Options
    Wycombe away couple of years ago when that pretty lady put her titties in my face
  • Options

Wycombe away couple of years ago when that pretty lady put her titties in my face

and you were scared?!
  • Options

and you were scared?!
    I was scared I'd mess my pants with the ginger one!
  • Options

pjs35 said:

Millwall travelled all the way to Ipswich for Ipswich v Charlton?

Yep...There was about 50 of 'em, mostly kids.
  • Options

and you were scared?!
    petrified
  • Options

I remember a game at the Valley v Tottenham late 70s , there was still terracing in the North and East stands. I was about 12. I remember a shout going up that Millwall were in the North and all hell broke loose. I was in the East. This was later featured on a BBC documentary about "typical" football hooliganism which was odd because I never saw anything else like it at the Valley again. We won 4-1 !!

I was standing on the East Terrace and we were surrounded by beered up Tottenham fans. Scary atmosphere. We scored early and from memory, after the goal some Tottenham fans were in the North stand and started laying into the Charlton fans. Then a Millwall chant went up and they attacked the Tottenham fans in the North. The yobs around us left to join in. Scary match throughout - and that includes both dodgy defences!
  • Options
    As a twelve year old being in the North Stand for the 2-2 draw with Millwall in 1969 and seeing their lot completely outnumber, overwhelm and chase the Charlton tribe out of their stand. Our football equivalent of Nazi occupation!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I remember that testimonial v Arsenal. Think it was Les Berry's. Kicked off for most of the game and no old bill.

Chelsea 88. Not scary but extremely hostile in that ground.

As a kid the Chelsea and Spurs games at The Valley in the 70's were very scary. Chelsea setting light to the Covered End. I remember grabbing onto my old man's hand on the East Terrace as a Spurs fan walked past us menancingly with a knife in his hands. Blimey how going to football has changed.

Bristol City cup tie - er, that was interesting after. I got a whack coming out and my old man's mate knocked the culprit flat out.... didn't help matters.

Getting chased down the road at Grimsby. Kim Grant scored the winner and outside my mate decided to reveal his Charlton top and give it a big Chaaaaaarl. The blokes across the road didn't take kindly.

Birmingham the year Palace were relegated. Birmingham when Garland thankfully hit the bar and didn't score. Also the game that was on the telly. Few awkward moments outside.

Leeds play-off. I gave St Andrews a miss though.

Millwall a lot. But again as a kid in the 70's when my Dad got attacked by two scumbags (Burman I think got a last minute equaliser).

Never Palace!