Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most scared at a charlton game

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
Years ago we played qpr at shithurst park. I was only 12 at the time and we needed to win to get into a play off with Leeds. Walking back to the car we came across a mob of abot 50 qpr by a skip. They loaded up and came at us. Before i new it they came at us and everyone ran. There were only 5 of us and some other blokes with kids. I ran into a petrol garage and hid. My brother in law who is slightly on the chubby side got hit with a blank of wood and knocked down. Rest of lads got away. bloody scarey.

Comments

• Went to sheffield United away whilst at Uni and an 8 year old blades fan called me a loser. Cried all the way home
  • no contest.leeds play off at st andrews.
  • I'd go for Leeds away in the Play Off final.
  • I'd go for Leeds away in the Play Off final.

That match put me off going to the St Andrews match
  • Come on then, what happened? I watched that game on teletext, which was scary enough.
  • Paul Bacon in the starting line up vs Leicester away, then we won!
  • I don't get scared at football. I get awesome.
  • A Pre-season friendly at Reading, late 70's?. Rumour went round that a Reading fan had been stabbed in town before the game. They were waiting outside after the game so th OB put into 2 coaches and whisked us away.
    Other than that, any Millwall game of that era.
  • Reading in the league years back when they played at elm park was pretty sketchy rumour was an addick got done with a hatchet

Bristol rovers at twertem park (spelling) in their end with tickets courtesy of pc rogers now that was interesting

Some huge bald geezer telling us how long we had been in tbere in comparison to other clubs before just ironing people out

We all ended in the pen between the away and home fans

• I was at the match against Leicester when Bacon played. Birmingham away in 93 Paul Gorman missed deliberately. Palace away when Todorov scored
  • Sponsored links:

• reading elm park, fratton park, brum away 4 3 game, bristol city fa cup..
  • Huddersfield away - 80/81.

Very naughty before and after the match.
  • I remember when I was about 9 and there was a Spurs fan kicking off in the Charlton end! Never been so scared at football to this day!! Rather pathetic looking back...

As it happens 3 of the above...not fratton park though never had any problems there.

• birmingham away 93......i was there and i swear that the whole charlton end let out a sigh of relief when gorman missed

Was the Bristol City game the one that ended 1-1 with Mark Robson scoring the equaliser? If it wasn't then the game I'm referring to was a bit squeaky bum time. I ended up jumping on a bus I had no idea of where it was going.
  • I've never been scared. I've been bloody angry, but not scared.
  • Never scared, buzzing!
  • Not sure I was scared, but Chelsea away in 88, the last day of the season where we drew to stay up and send them into the relegation playoffs was certainly right up there in terms of hostile atmospheres.

Seeing National Front recruiters outside the ground shows how far football, and especially Chelsea has come too!
  • cafc999 said:

birmingham away 93......i was there and i swear that the whole charlton end let out a sigh of relief when gorman missed

mine as well although me mate wanted that to go in

• Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

cafc999 said:

birmingham away 93......i was there and i swear that the whole charlton end let out a sigh of relief when gorman missed

mine as well although me mate wanted that to go in

Was that the game where we could have sent them down if we had got anything from the game?
  • Been going Charlton for 20 years and visited most away grounds in that time. Never felt scared or frightened though.

Guess it's a different era to many listed here though.
  • I don't get scared at football. I get awesome.

Single best line I've read on this forum.

• Palace away when Todorov scored

Sorry can't have that.

I've no idea how old you are but the only reason to scared of them wankers if you were a small child who didn't like a lot of shouting.

The only game I've been worried was Leeds at Elland Rd in the play-offs.

• Not sure I was scared, but Chelsea away in 88, the last day of the season where we drew to stay up and send them into the relegation playoffs was certainly right up there in terms of hostile atmospheres.

Seeing National Front recruiters outside the ground shows how far football, and especially Chelsea has come too!

I was in the Chelsea end with my Chelsea supporting brother in law, remember when we scored going "Yup" very quietly. Wasn't scvared of the blokes there, but this girl was really nasty and scary
  • A Pre-season friendly at Reading, late 70's?. Rumour went round that a Reading fan had been stabbed in town before the game. They were waiting outside after the game so th OB put into 2 coaches and whisked us away.
    Other than that, any Millwall game of that era.

I was caught up in that. It was 1976. The lad in question had his ear cut off and as we were walking to the ground about 40 blacks and 1 ginger top jumped off a bus and came charging down the road at us. I stood my ground but got beaten so badly my mum and dad didn't recognise me when they came and pick me up from the police station.

• Cambridge away in the ZDS cup was pretty hairy. Got chased all over the allotments. Got a kicking at Bristol Rovers at Bath - in the car park afterwards. Chased back to the station at Blackburn after winning the Championship up there. Me and Romford Addick went to Rangers vs Hibs a few years back. Got pretty pissed up and were walking through Glasgow town centre afterwards and were approached by some Celtic fans, didn't register at the time but afterwards it was pretty sobering how close we came to a panelling. Finally, myself and the aforementioned Romford Addick went in the Port Manor before Palace away when Kitson scored......god knows how we got out of there alive.
  • At the Valley in the early 80's when Chelsea stormed the Covered end. I was only a young teenager and I remember a hoard of thugs ran from the Covered End onto the East Terrace - frightened the life out of me.
  • Palace away when Todorov scored

That is the most mental I have gone for a Charlton goal EVER. Sat right in front of the aisle where a load of Charlton ran towards the Palace end when we scored. Random hugs with fans, falling over each other - absolutely brilliant.
  • Mrbacon said:

I don't get scared at football. I get awesome.

Single best line I've read on this forum.

True story.