Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Photos of The Valley

Comments

• Options
    love the Bovril hoarding.
  • Options
    Looking at his body shape and the way the keeper is going that pen taker looks left footed to me?
  • Options
    Used to get there early and have a kick around with my cousins on that patch of grass before the match.
    Then stood just to the right of the goal with my dad and his brothers for the match.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

So, what we got so far:

Match at The Valley,
    In, or around, 1974,
    Bobby Curtis penalty,
    players (we think) are Ship, King Arthur, Bowman & Hunt,
    Ref was Ronald Bryan from Worksop (you sure Riv ?).

Will check Mr Cameron's Home and Away book.

Away team in blue, try Oldham 4-1 home win 26/3/74 as a long shot.
    Can't find a Mr Bryan from Worksop, so could be this game.

• Options
    edited December 2013

• Options
    Much as I love The Valley in its current form some of those photo's of the huge banks of terracing look fantastic!
  • Options
    imageimage

1921 and 1936
  • Options
    It does look like Bobby Curtis taking the pen to me. He nearly always put them to the goalies left, so that fits. I would have been standing further along, nearer the halfway line, at this game, but cannot recognise any players. I would suggest this is a second half penalty, as it looks like the half time scores are up! Strange though, as we (still) usually kick toward the covered end in the second half... is it possible that the pen was saved ('keeper is going the right way...)? If that pic had sound, we would all be able to hear the peanut seller- Peeeanutss!
  • Options
    Yes, the Shrewsbury game call could be right - they played in blue back then. It was put back to the Sunday during the three-day week (power cuts).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey, there is some good detective work going on here, looks like we have a full house re the game and info.
  • Options
    If it was the Shrewsbury game then reckon I'm down the front just right of the goal with me parker hood up and scarf dangling over the railings. Surprised the south end looks so empty if we were attacking it and there was over 7,000 but it must have been belting it down. Great pictures Callum and Henry
  • Options

For a 70s pitch it is in prime condition, especially for having already reached the second half (half-time scores evident) on a wet day. The distant trees are in leaf. A sparse-ish crowd.

The first match of 74/75 after our relegation to Div 3 was against Hereford on 24 Aug 74 and the first goal was a Bob Curtis pen on 60 mins.

Dunn - Curtis Warman - Hunt Horsfield Young - Powell Hales Bowman Dunphy Peacock att 6398

A potential candidate ?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Hereford played, and possibly still do in white shirts and black shorts?
  • Options

Sorry to dig up an old topic and this might sound a silly question to most on here but being born in 1992, I'm not 100% sure this is the old Valley. I found this picture online tagged "The Valley 1974" but obviously as the ground looks completely different nowadays I wanted to check.

Appreciate any help. Any other info would be brilliant as well... :-)

Great picture, used to stand a bit further down from where that was taken, can't recall the game but if it was 1974 I would have thought i was there that day, very rarely missed a home game in those days.
  • Options

Blimey, there is some good detective work going on here, looks like we have a full house re the game and info.

Except the ref isn't Riviera's relation, it was a Mr Grey.
    Still looking for a Mr Bryan from Worksop, he definitely didn't ref a CAFC match in 73/74 or 74/75.

• Options
    The Oldham game was a 7-30 ko. I reckon the Shrewsbury game which was the first Sunday game to be held at the Valley. Curtis was a 67min sub and scored the equalising goal from the penalty spot in 79min. Final score 3-3.
  • Options
    Mog, there is no referee called Mr Bryan from Worksop.........
  • Options

Hereford played, and possibly still do in white shirts and black shorts?

Indeed - that had crossed my mind. And now looking at Home and Away there is an excellent picture of the second goal (Richie Bowman 69 mins) and Hereford are most definitely in white shirts and black shorts. Oh well ....

How about Swindon 21 Sep 74 - Curtis pen 50 mins. This was only the third home league match of the season, so the pitch would still be looking good, and there was a poor crowd of 4,527. Swindon would surely be in a change kit as they are normally red and white the same as us.

• Options
    Defo Shrewsbury...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

Defo Shrewsbury...

I hate to disagree, but that pitch doesn't strike me as how fresh it would look at the 80th minute of a very wet day in Feb, certainly not in those days when pitches from Nov onwards were not so good.

Another early season candidate I'd overlooked was actually the first game of the season on 20 Aug 74 against Peterboro in the League Cup (4-0 Curtis pen 77 mins) att 5,911 but then again by the time the pen was struck that would have been around 9 o'clock .... not likely that on a wet evening the light would be so good.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Must be the Swindon game due to the pitch and the goalie looks more like Jim Barron then the Shrews Ken Mulhearn who I'm sure was a grey haired chap. Still me down the front, remember about half hour fore the game seemed to be just me and me Dad on the south terrace because of the rain. Also for some reason remember them playing Rainbow by Peters and Lee before the game.
    Also and I'm worrying myself now but there appear to be leaves on the trees so more likely September then March.
    I'm off to stand at the end of London Bridge platform now with me notepad and flask.
  • Options
    I changed my opinion due to leaves on trees and ground conditions to the Swindon game also a 3-3 draw
  • Options
    Fantastic photo - really brings back the memories, as that's just what The Valley looked like when I started going. Plenty of goals in those days, too! I'd also vote for earlier in the season - in Feb, it would have been darker and floodlights on by the second half.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I was the 4th official, or reserve ref, at that game
  • Options

Sorry to dig up an old topic and this might sound a silly question to most on here but being born in 1992, I'm not 100% sure this is the old Valley. I found this picture online tagged "The Valley 1974" but obviously as the ground looks completely different nowadays I wanted to check.

Appreciate any help. Any other info would be brilliant as well... :-)

Only 1 player encroaching the penalty area when the kicks' been taken.

Sorry but that's the way it should be. My pet hate in football.

Nice photo too!
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited December 2013
    Wasn't Shrewsbury. Remember it wasn't wet just cold. That was my very first game at the Valley.

Shrewsbury match was played on a Sunday morning during the miners strike/3 day week.

Great pic though.
  • Options
    i think that pic is from 74-75, so the Swindon call seems right. Not Dick Tydeman in the pic, i think it's Eamonn Dunphy.
  • Options
    Could it be Peterborough home in the League 3.0 5th October?