Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Photos of The Valley

Comments

• Options
    I can't help but think we missed a trick with all that space under the stand. Surely we could have build something in there - a lounge/bar or something.

These photos show just how much the club achieved during that decade!
  • Options

These photos show just how much the club achieved during that decade!

This, absolutely this!

We rose pheonix like from the ashes of the wilderness years - quite literally brings a tear to my eyes.

COYR!!!!!!
  • Options
    Did Andy D'Urso call that game off?
  • Options
    God. That photo makes me feel old. I used to stand at that corner as a kid.
  • Options

I did as well ;-)

• Options

Sorry to dig up an old topic and this might sound a silly question to most on here but being born in 1992, I'm not 100% sure this is the old Valley. I found this picture online tagged "The Valley 1974" but obviously as the ground looks completely different nowadays I wanted to check.

Appreciate any help. Any other info would be brilliant as well... :-)

Historic photograph that, it was the last time the addicks were awarded a penalty.

certainly is historic if it is the 1974 Shrewsbury game! it was my debut! I remember my Dad explaining the offside rule by drawing in the windscreen mist when we got back to the car (a Zephyr 6)...... Jeez that makes me feel old!!!!!
  • Options

Me too, on the wall, feet through the railings.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    limeygent said:

Yep. Right at the front. Or perch on the crush barrier although it was quite an art.

• Options
    edited May 2014

limeygent said:

Yep. Right at the front. Or perch on the crush barrier although it was quite an art.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam Lawrie taking the corners....
  • Options
    That floodlight pylon wasn't there when I started going.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    limeygent said:

Were they brightest in Europe or am I mistaken?
  • Options

limeygent said:

Where they brightest in Europe or am I mistaken?
    I don't remember them being that spectacular.
  • Options
    What year did the floods go in ?
  • Options
    What memories....used to stand at the back of this near corner and then run round to the covered end for second half (even in those days they mostly played into the covered end second half). Back of the car park you can see refreshment bar...and to the left of that the gents, basically a wall to pee up against. The floods went in in 1962 I think and the first game was against Rotherham (without looking up)....stand corrected.
  • Options
    I think it was 1961.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

I think it was 1961.

That was my first year of attending.
  • Options
    That wall we used to pee up was green. Never seen anything like it and the vision has stayed with me. Those were the days.
  • Options
    Fantastic thread,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to catch the "Excursion" bus from Forest Hill, sometimes it was almost empty.
  • Options

What memories....used to stand at the back of this near corner and then run round to the covered end for second half (even in those days they mostly played into the covered end second half). Back of the car park you can see refreshment bar...and to the left of that the gents, basically a wall to pee up against. The floods went in in 1962 I think and the first game was against Rotherham (without looking up)....stand corrected.

When I call it a refreshment bar.......I think it served Bovril and another brown liquid called tea, and if you were lucky....a Kit Kat!

• Options
    Hot roasted chestnuts in Floyd Road. Percy Dalton peanut seller. Half time scores on the board in that corner IF you were lucky.
  • Options
    I wonder what happened to all of those wooden rattles.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Somewhere in my loft, I still have one, used by my parents at both cup finals in the forties.
  • Options
    What great memories...my first game was as a five year old in 1961...me, my old man, my grandad and his brother - my uncle, always stood on the half-way line on the old East Terrace.....loved every minute of it....thanks for posting the photo....such memories!
  • Options

limeygent said:

Were they brightest in Europe or am I mistaken?
    Tallest I think.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

limeygent said:

Somewhere in my loft, I still have one, used by my parents at both cup finals in the forties.
    That's a treasure.
  • Options

Floodlights first used in September 1961 vs Rotherham.

Excellent thread. What a superb picture of The Valley in the snow.