Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath v Derby Co/18 September 2012/Preview, views, news and line ups

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
They say that when you fall off your bike the best thing is to get straight back on.

So after a nasty fall last Friday Charlton have a very quick opportunity to get back in the saddle and start moving forward ASAP.

Chris Powell now has carte blanche to change. He might have wanted to give his league 1 winning side a go at the Championship and was at least partially justified in that when they went unbeaten in the first four games. He now has the excuse, if he ever needed one, to cut and burn as he sees fit.

The Line-up

At least one change will be forced on him with Wiggins out for at least 4 - 6 weeks according to the totally professional and accurate Richard Cawley. Cedric Evina is the obvious replacement given that Chris Solly is not a left back no matter how hard he tries. We at Preview Towers believe that given a run of game Ceddy will prove his worth but time and patience might be in short supply among the Valley faithful right now.

That will allow Chris to move Chris back to the right but who plays in front of him? Pritchard didn't impress many in the last game while Danny Green did, albeit in a very brief cameo. Another Danny, Haynes, might be an option if Powell wants pace. Wagstaff appears to still be a few weeks away.

Stephens put in one of the better displays last time out but the whole midfield struggled to deal with the Glazier's pace and movement. Options, unless we make a quick signing from the rumoured trialists, are limited. Wilson can play centre mid but how much of an improvement would he be?

Up top, BWP was been the most impressive striker this season and will be ruing his bad luck with linesmen in the last two home games. So the option seems to be a not yet fully fit Fuller or stick with Kermorgant despite him getting little joy from the Palace man mountains. Or even go with all three. Powell toyed with 4 - 3- 3 pre-season but that was with the pacey Cooke and Wagstaff

So to sum up we at the Tower haven't got a scooby what Powelly is going to do and we imagine that Chris, while very far from clueless, is burning the midnight oil alongside Alex Dyer and Damien Matthew, debating what needs to be done. And a big part of that will not be dropping players. Getting the players' heads together and their confidence back is also required.

It may seem rather melodramatic but for the first time Chris will be under scrutiny. In his first 6 months he was given time by most as he had inherited someone else's squad. Now, after a season of great success he has a challenge on his hands. Unfair? Too extreme? Yes, indeed. We in the Preview Team follow the old adage of "wait till the season is 10 games in and then see where you are in the table" but we fear that the current ADHD culture of football means that managers and players are often only as good as their last result and we all know what that means.

The opposition

Derby are yet another of Chris Powell's former sides and he will get his usual warm welcome. After a poor start the Rams appeared to have turned the corner when they thrashed Udinese 5 - 1. But a 1 - 0 defeat to Huddersfield leaves them level with Charlton on 5 points. They have yet to lose at home though so will be confident of another win as you can see from here http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/topic/10111-derby-v-charlton-and-the-wheelies/

Nigel Clough is under some pressure to move County to the top half of the table at least but he continues to try and get his sides to play a neat passing game.

Prediction

1 - 1 and some pride restored.

Comments

• Options
    I am sorry to say I feel this will be 2-1 to Derby, however your glowing reference of Richard Crawley and your likening of Watford to an Italian team made me smile.
  • Options
    1-1 Kermorgant
  • Options
    Have a feeling we will grab a 1-1 draw ... but also concerned that if we go a goal down early, we could lose by 2 or 3
  • Options
    1-0 to Derby :(
  • Options
    It's obvious that Fuller needs to start. I would play him with BWP.
    I also think Green deserves a starting place given what he did when he came on.
    I would leave the back 5 as finished the Palace game.
    Might also bring Kerkar in, leaving Stephens and Hollands in the middle.

A win would be nice whatever the score.
  • Options
    2-0 defeat. just can't see us getting anything until we change tactics.
  • Options
    green to start imo, fuller not fit enough yet, evina at lb and the rest will be the same as palace. Boys will either be very up for it after Friday or heads will be down still. Important not to concede early as this could be a very bad night, just hope confidence isnt as low as some of the fans at the moment, bit of luck would be nice but keeping it tight at the back is a must
  • Options
    whats with the 'wheelies' thing on that board?
    1-0 charlton, Stephens
  • Options

Very different game to Palace as Derby County are less physical and it wont be a highly charged local derby which will suit us better.

Fancy a draw (1-1) which will also suit both sides eager to steady their respective ships.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thank God for Nigel Clough .. he's as useless as a chocolate teapot, he's a few decent players @ his disposal but does not have a clue how best to utilise them .. We need changes: Hamer Wilson Cort Morrison Solly .. Kerkar Hollands Stephens Green .. Wright-Phillips Fuller. A few on here have suggested Kermorgant in midfield. It's worth a try but not for this VERY important game .. CAFC 2 v Derby County 0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-2 to county and the impending doom and gloom mounts

3000 travelling addicks not enough to give the team a lift
  • Options
    1-1 in a difficult match, but addicks will show their fighting qualities and bounce back from last Friday with a point....Match thread from about 7:15
  • Options

3000 travelling addicks not enough to give the team a lift

Feck me has Jiminez sacked the coach driver as well now?
  • Options
    2-0 win, Green and Fuller to score. Hamer; Solly, Morrison, Cort, Evina; Green, Stephens, Hollands, Jackson (to help out Evina); Fuller, BWP. Subs: Button, Wilson, Dervite, Pritchard, Kerkar, Kermorgant, Haynes (if fit), or Cook.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Thank God for Nigel Clough .. he's as useless as a chocolate teapot, he's a few decent players @ his disposal but does not have a clue how best to utilise them .. We need changes: Hamer Wilson Cort Morrison Solly .. Kerkar Hollands Stephens Green .. Wright-Phillips Fuller. A few on here have suggested Kermorgant in midfield. It's worth a try but not for this VERY important game .. CAFC 2 v Derby County 0

Think you may have got the lineup about right there. Kermy, Jackson, Pritchard would cause more problems in the 65th minute than they have been as starters.

1-0 away win and back into the top half of the table.
  • Options
    Do we know what is wrong with Waggy?

All I've read is that he's "ill."
  • Options
    I dunno about Waggy but I think Cook has had an eye infection. Mentioned something about it on his Twitter a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    Also I feel a 2-1 Rams. Hope we can pull a draw out of the bag though and I'd take 0-0.
  • Options
    2-0 Derby. Urgh.
  • Options
    I'll bite your hand off for a point right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Definitely think Green's worth a starting place, looked hungry on Friday. Sadly Jackson has not been doing it for us at left mid so far this season - tempted to move him to left back and bring Kerkar in. Fuller I would keep on the bench for the time being.

Suspect that CP will ignore my suggestions and will instead be thinking to himself "what would Curbs do?". Curbs would set us up to not get beat and we'd grind out a dull but well-earned 0-0 to stop the rot before it sets in. And I would be perfectly happy with that.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I would go 4-5-1 with Solly and Wilson starting full-backs, Kerkar behind Fuller and BWP left, Green right.

It's early in the season but looking at the two sides we are away to this week we cannot afford to lose either. We certainly cannot afford to be carrying people who at the moment are incapable of impacting on games, e.g. Jackson, Pritchard, Kermorgant.

If we play sensibly and keep tight at the back we will take at least a point (1-1).
  • Options
    A hard fought draw, if we get the luck we are due (after the disallowed goal on Friday) we'll nick a win.
  • Options
    Think most here would have highlighted this one as a win a couple of weeks back (check back on the Sept points total thread). Reality has now hit, and a point would be a pleasant surprise. Think we will fight hard and perform valiantly, but their quality in midfield over us will tell and they will run out 2-0 winners.
  • Options
    2 1 loss at best
  • Options
    2-1 Loss
  • Options
    Hard to predict but a good test of CP's management. I would like to see Kerker start with JJ in the centre with Hollands and Green instead of Pritchard, giving us a 2-2 draw.
  • Options

Hard to predict but a good test of CP's management. I would like to see Kerker start with JJ in the centre with Hollands and Green instead of Pritchard, giving us a 2-2 draw.

Drop Stephens then? Who was one of our best players the other night?
  • Options

Think you may have got the lineup about right there. Kermy, Jackson, Pritchard would cause more problems in the 65th minute than they have been as starters.1-0 away win and back into the top half of the table.
    agreed !!
  • Options
    2-0 Derby ...

Still can't get into gear...