Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

American Sports

Comments

• Options
    The term 'Soccer' really F***s me off!!

• Options
    Cincinnati Bengals fan for about 30 years - the very definition of disappointment and frustration....
  • Options
    Fair enough Stevie can't top that but at least you have got a couple of great young players to enjoy. AJ Green is going to be a star.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    NFL - Philadelphia Eagles- Glorious Failure, including throwing it away against the Pats in the super bowl

NHL San Jose Sharks - Glorious Failure, incluing throwing it away in the playoffs every season
  • Options
    MLB Cubs - Glorious failures for pretty much the last century, the one shot at a world series was destroyed by a fan catch a fly ball
  • Options
    NFL: Philadelphia Eagles
    NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
    NBA: Philadelphia 76ers
    MLB: Philadelphia Phillies

(but it's not the end of the world, if they don't win...)
  • Options
    There's a reason other countries haven't really adopted these sports...
  • Options
    NFL: Broncos
    MLB: Red Sox
    NHL: Penguins
    NBA: Dreck
  • Options
    I find nfl all a bit odd really. the game just never gets going. I enjoy it and like all the colour, over celebrating and the spectacle but
    it does just end up boring me.
    i understand the rules and i understand the amount of tactics there is but it reminds me of when a fight nearly breaks out between two players who you don’t like. You shout "go on, HIT HIM!" a push happens then the ref and other players intervene and everything just calms down. Nothing’s happened and your left disappointed.

15miniutes of nfl i can deal with but anything longer i end up switching the channel over.

basketball is too squeaky and with baseball i cant comment cos I’ve never seen it. rounders aint it?

oh and why is there people supporting the Philadelphia Eagles?!....Eagles?! same reason why i cant stand the detroit lions.
  • Options
    Some people get into it, others don't.
    I think cricket is some kind of cruel torture, but I don't comment all over the cricket thread slagging it off.

Anyway, me and you @SuedeAdidas, we know where its at.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Do you ever feel a little sad that we don't have them?

Baseball, Basketball and NFL are all pretty exciting you have to admit, even if you don't like them. I don't know any of the rules to watch them on tv but feel we miss out a little. Any thoughts.

rounders, netball and wimps rugby.

Your username relate to how high you can count to?

No, it relates to how long it takes for some bell end to bite at such a childish comment.

PS. you wish you could count to dave!

;-)
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Do you ever feel a little sad that we don't have them?

Baseball, Basketball and NFL are all pretty exciting you have to admit, even if you don't like them. I don't know any of the rules to watch them on tv but feel we miss out a little. Any thoughts.

rounders, netball and wimps rugby.

Your username relate to how high you can count to?

No, it relates to how long it takes for some bell end to bite at such a childish comment.

PS. you wish you could count to dave!

;-)
  • Options
    GD78 said:

I love baseball. Was in San Francisco a few weeks ago and watched a San Francisco giants game on tv, no one could call it boring if they'd watched that game. Giants were 6-2 down, got it bac to 6 all but eventually lost it 8-6 in the 11th innings. We enjoyed it so much we went to the game the next evening. Was a great night with a great atmosphere. Would recommend it to anyone.

AT & T Park is a great place to watch baseball, go Giants!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    EastStand said:

Some people get into it, others don't.
    I think cricket is some kind of cruel torture, but I don't comment all over the cricket thread slagging it off.

Anyway, me and you @SuedeAdidas, we know where its at.

na, your right, those of us who don’t like it shouldn’t slag it off.

going back to the original question from the op. not sure if we miss out.
    i think sparrows has answered why it probably wouldn’t work if we did it in the way the americans have with college towns and large crowds.
    you could get schools to play more american sports but what with the amount of other sports they already play is there a place for it and coaching would be a problem because not many would know the rules.

They did have a European american football league, "NFL Europe" but after a early success it became a bit of a disaster losing $30 million a season. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Europe
    there is another more amature European league that have the eurobowl but its no where near the same quality as NFL.
    It is a shame as there seems a fair amount of people over here enjoy it. Guess you could find likeminded people to play it with, but to start up a professional league just won’t happen because the kids who will be playing in those leagues would have needed to play american football from an early age. which in this country we don’t have the facilities for.

We do have a Basketball league, whether its any good i don’t know.
  • Options
    We have an Ice Hockey league too which is quite competitive, but I'd imagine Great Britain would get thrashed by Russia, Canada, Finland, the US and pretty much any other country that plays Ice Hockey
  • Options
    We do have an American Football league: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAFA_National_Leagues
  • Options
    EastStand said:

We do have an American Football league: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAFA_National_Leagues

oh right.
    have you seen any of it? good quality?
    good that they got a youth set up. so the OP now can watch and play all his fav american sports. shame he dont know the rules though.

and baseball got a few leagues as well...http://www.britishbaseball.org/
  • Options
    That's quite strange. In America they don't play American football or Baseball at an amateur level. You have the minor leagues in baseball, but that's semi-pro really, and there is no equivalent in American Football. Players at college will usually never play again, unless turning pro.

Now a lot of people play softball, which is like baseball, but with a bigger ball, a smaller diamond, and a lot more beer. There are works leagues, played in the evening, plenty of beer, the ball pitched gently (seriously, I played 3 games whilst out there one summer, the league rules were you had to have to women on your team, and the pitch had to go at least 6ft above the horizontal, and no more than 12ft, so was literally gently lofted towards the batter).
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I love baseball, and have fallen in love with it since I have spent time regularly in the US. I could watch it all night - and find it a fascinating sport that has so many strategic levels to it. The Boston Red Sox and their story is one of the most incredible in sport, and thats what made me fall for them (3 years before THAT world series win I might add). Seriously - when the Red Sox won the World Series for the first time in all those years, Boston was a mental place to be. I have never known anything like it. Nobody bothered going to work the next day, police were dancing in the streets with fans. It was wonderful.
  • Options

That's quite strange. In America they don't play American football or Baseball at an amateur level. You have the minor leagues in baseball, but that's semi-pro really, and there is no equivalent in American Football. Players at college will usually never play again, unless turning pro.

Now a lot of people play softball, which is like baseball, but with a bigger ball, a smaller diamond, and a lot more beer. There are works leagues, played in the evening, plenty of beer, the ball pitched gently (seriously, I played 3 games whilst out there one summer, the league rules were you had to have to women on your team, and the pitch had to go at least 6ft above the horizontal, and no more than 12ft, so was literally gently lofted towards the batter).

Always something I've wondered; in the UK during the football season every park on a Saturday & Sunday is filled those aged from 5 to 60 playing football to varying levels.

Likewise, cricket in the summer, people play at all ages & levels. Rugby is similar.

The SE London league had 4 divisions on Sunday's I think, 40+ teams in a small area.

Does the USA have similar set ups? Does Dallas FW for example have a thriving Saturday & Sunday league for adults and vets, playing baseball/gridiron/basketball etc?

Or is basketball kept to the street courts in urban areas, baseball becomes softball and gridiron too expensive to play regularly at that level?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danepak said:

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles
    NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
    NBA: Philadelphia 76ers
    MLB: Philadelphia Phillies

(but it's not the end of the world, if they don't win...)

This. Got loads of mates in Philly, had some good times there.
  • Options
    "Hail to the Redskins!"
  • Options
    Browns fan for NFL and just getting into baseball last year or two
  • Options

Always something I've wondered; in the UK during the football season every park on a Saturday & Sunday is filled those aged from 5 to 60 playing football to varying levels.

Likewise, cricket in the summer, people play at all ages & levels. Rugby is similar.

The SE London league had 4 divisions on Sunday's I think, 40+ teams in a small area.

Does the USA have similar set ups? Does Dallas FW for example have a thriving Saturday & Sunday league for adults and vets, playing baseball/gridiron/basketball etc?

Or is basketball kept to the street courts in urban areas, baseball becomes softball and gridiron too expensive to play regularly at that level?

I think you're pretty much spot on. Baseball is played in playground (Whether that be school, neighbourhood or community/sports centre), soft ball is played in most parks and I have never seen an American Football game being played outside of a stadium (whether that be school, college or NFL). There are soccer pitches, and I know some Americans who play it, so that is probably a larger participation sport than many "American" sports, particularly amongst South/Central American migrants. There is also a large number of cricket clubs surprisingly. A friend of mine thought he would be sent to NY for work, so he did some research, and discovered 74 cricket clubs in NY state alone.

• Options

There's a reason other countries haven't really adopted these sports...

Except they have.

Ice Hockey is played widely in Canada, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe to a very high level

Basketball is played all over the world and is an Olympic sport.

Baseball is big in Japan and across the Caribbean. A lot of MLB players now come from outside the US.

Gridiron is really the only one not to played professionally elsewhere other than Canada.
  • Options
    And Go Cards and Rams.

Not really into NFL but home town team.
  • Options

I think you're pretty much spot on. Baseball is played in playground (Whether that be school, neighbourhood or community/sports centre), soft ball is played in most parks and I have never seen an American Football game being played outside of a stadium (whether that be school, college or NFL). There are soccer pitches, and I know some Americans who play it, so that is probably a larger participation sport than many "American" sports, particularly amongst South/Central American migrants. There is also a large number of cricket clubs surprisingly. A friend of mine thought he would be sent to NY for work, so he did some research, and discovered 74 cricket clubs in NY state alone.

Quite strange isn't it for a country that are quite powerful at so many sports and have such an advanced college system for sport that once kids leave school there isn't really a proper organised system for them to carry on playing at an amateur level.

• Options
    would help with their obesity problem.
  • Options

would help with their obesity problem.

Or maybe not!
    ;)
  • Options

Quite strange isn't it for a country that are quite powerful at so many sports and have such an advanced college system for sport that once kids leave school there isn't really a proper organised system for them to carry on playing at an amateur level.

It's amazing. I was watching a news article about a college pitcher, who'd gone 24 hitless innings at the end of the season, but was resigned to not making the majors (too small apparently) and had lined up a wall street job or similar. He was talking about how that day's game was the last time he would ever play baseball, crazy.