Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

American Sports

13»

Comments

• Options
    My college soccer team had a squad of 23 players. Only one still plays competitively.
  • Options

Fair enough Stevie can't top that but at least you have got a couple of great young players to enjoy. AJ Green is going to be a star.

You know the worst part of it is that, as young child, I became a fan in 1982 with the Freezer Bowl. After that they seemed to be in the play-offs most seasons, so I imagined that I was onto a winner! Suffice it to say, the 1990s were a long decade...

But you are right, they pretty much have it back on track again now.
  • Options

The term 'Soccer' really F***s me off!!

The term 'soccer' originates in England. Listen to or watch old football newsreels and google it. It's a derivation of Association Football.

• Options
    Rob said:

The term 'soccer' originates in England. Listen to or watch old football newsreels and google it. It's a derivation of Association Football.

That may be the case, but it's still an annoying word!

• Options
    I heard some guy from the NFL on 5 Live a couple of months back saying that he thinks London will have a franchise team in one of the eastern division competing by 2015. That would be pretty amazing.

• Options

Rob said:

That may be the case, but it's still an annoying word!

Possibly because we associate the term with Americans who know nothing about football do they? :-)

When it was spoken by proper English chaps on pathe news back in the 40's and 50's it was quite quaint.

• Options

I don't see why it should, it is an English term after all:

Rugger = Rugby Football
    Soccer = Association Football
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

I heard some guy from the NFL on 5 Live a couple of months back saying that he thinks London will have a franchise team in one of the eastern division competing by 2015. That would be pretty amazing.

Flights from NY to LA arent much different than NY to London, the game is played just once a week instead of 5 like the other american sports, and it fits into our stadiums easily. Base them at the Olympic Stadium and call them the London Towers or something

• Options
    sam3110 said:

DanDavis said:

Flights from NY to LA arent much different than NY to London, the game is played just once a week instead of 5 like the other american sports, and it fits into our stadiums easily. Base them at the Olympic Stadium and call them the London Towers or something

Exactly.....and isn't the regular season only 6 or 8 home games anyway so the amount of traveling isn't that great really.

• Options
    London franchise could be called the London Royals that branding would make the NFL billions worldwide!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isnt there one NFL franchise who are gonna move here when their contract ends
  • Options
    I know that the Jacksonville Jaguars have signed up to play one 'home' game a season at Wembley for the next 4 years (starting next year).....not sure about any franchises that are moving though.

The London Royals does have a nice ring to it!
  • Options

There was a rumour about the Rams moving over from St Louis. I don't think it's a solid rumor though.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

There was a rumour about the Rams moving over from St Louis. I don't think it's a solid rumor though.
    I'd heard that one too, although looks more likely it will be Jacksonville as they've just signed a 3 year deal I think to play a game each season at Wembley. I reckon it will happen. Only about 10 home games a season I think can't imagine Jacksonville is a huge market for a pro team. Would be finacially much more viable in London ......Olympic Stadium????

I lived in US for 10 years and wife is American and always thought I'd enjoy basketball the most. The NBA is almost too good (if that makes sense), college basketball is brilliant and during march madness they have a big knockout tournament to find the champion, none of this best of 7 nonsense. NFL is good but again College football is brilliant, much more community based with a sense of history than the franchises that move from city to city. Ice Hockey is great live, find it a bit harder on the box, but baseball is my favourite although being a Chicago Cubs fan makes that hard. Love the atmosphere and history around baseball.

• Options
    There won't be an NFL franchise in London for at least ten years - if ever. It isn't just the
    Logistical difficulties involved in having a team five time zones away. You have to factor in television (which totally rules all American sports, especially American Football), the fact that the novelty of it will wear off when there are eight home games a year rather than one, players not wanting to uproot themselves from the US (Americans not being renowned for embracing other cultures - even less so American athletes), the sport not being big enough here to support bi-weekly crowds of 90000 and so on.

What might happen is a team spending a couple of years over here during relocation (a concept that is almost alien to most football fans around the world) as they vacate their current city and await the building of a new arena in a new host city. There are a couple of potential candidates for this - and LA has been without a team for donkeys years due to various factors, so this is a potential option (it will take years to build an arena)
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

I know that the Jacksonville Jaguars have signed up to play one 'home' game a season at Wembley for the next 4 years (starting next year).....not sure about any franchises that are moving though.

Thought it was St Louis Rams, Arsenal owner Stan Kreonke is owner and has expressed an interest in reolcating them here, theres more substance to this than they are letting on
  • Options

There won't be an NFL franchise in London for at least ten years - if ever. It isn't just the
    Logistical difficulties involved in having a team five time zones away. You have to factor in television (which totally rules all American sports, especially American Football), the fact that the novelty of it will wear off when there are eight home games a year rather than one, players not wanting to uproot themselves from the US (Americans not being renowned for embracing other cultures - even less so American athletes), the sport not being big enough here to support bi-weekly crowds of 90000 and so on.

What might happen is a team spending a couple of years over here during relocation (a concept that is almost alien to most football fans around the world) as they vacate their current city and await the building of a new arena in a new host city. There are a couple of potential candidates for this - and LA has been without a team for donkeys years due to various factors, so this is a potential option (it will take years to build an arena)

I think players would definitely be willing to uproot, it would be for 5 months a year and $$$ talk. The reason for Jacksonville playing some of there games at Wembley is that they never fill their own stadium (capacity 67,000) so the owners must be wondering if there is more money to be made in London.

Most NFL games are on Sunday afternoon eastern time so playing the London games on Sunday evening wouldn't be a problem for US TV.

Notre Dame, one of the US College football teams, actually played their first game of the season in Ireland this year!

Leroy I think you are thinking of reasons why it won't happen but there are a lot of people in NFL who want it to become a truly global brand.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Thought it was St Louis Rams, Arsenal owner Stan Kreonke is owner and has expressed an interest in reolcating them here, theres more substance to this than they are letting on
    Was the Rams but then they pulled out of the deal.

Jags having trouble filling their stadium, and had several games blacked out in Florida as you are not allowed to be shown on tv in your home area if games not sold out.
    Been rumours of iowners selling franchise if crowds do not improve.
  • Options
    As it's moved on to american football, I've just recently watched 2 ESPN 30 for 30 films.

One was "The Band That Never Died", about the Baltimore Colts uprooting overnight & moving to Indianapolis and how their marching band carried on playing for years trying to get another team to move, a great watch.

I just watch "The U", about Miami Uni and how their team went from nothing to one of the most dominant & controversial in college history; very interesting how it was done, the racial tensions in Miami, the way they were treated across america etc. Another great film.

There's also another about the Raiders, "Straight outta LA", cracking documentary.