Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 CAFC games that define what football is all about for you personally...........

Comments

• Options
    1. Charlton - Leeds 2-1 in the St Andrews Final - not only did it keep us in the first division it probably saved us from administration. Coming from a goal down in the last ten minutes of the second half of ET to win it was pure Roy of the Rovers stuff. All I had to do after the match was walk back to the Bull Ring surrounded by several thousand murderous Leeds fans...

2. The 1998 Play-Off Final - how often have you looked forward to an important match only to be disapointed when the players don't turn up and keep it safe? A great match, great atmosphere and again a Roy of the Rovers finish.

3. First match back v Pompey. A homecoming and a day I feared I would never see.

4. Millwall - Charlton: 0-2 strange that this match was on the anniversary of the above...the several feet of snow made it a racing certainty that the game would get called off, I arranged to meet a friend at London Bridge and we debated whether it was worth going and it wouldn't have taken much persuading to stay in the pub, or simply go home, when Lee Bowyer got sent off I wished I had, but our ten men included Morts...

5. Charlton - Middlesboro: 3-0, this was in late January or early February in the '98 play off season. I expected a big physical side to come down to the Valley kick us off the ball, grab a goal or two, show us who was boss and take the points home. Newt had a blinder and scored two, Bright added the other, one memory I have was Paul Merson yanking his shirt out of his shorts a few minutes in resignation just before the final whistle. He knew that Boro had been done by the better side and then with seconds to go Newt was subbed and left the pitch to a well deserved standing ovation.
  • Options
    Great thread, requires some thought but one of my immediate favourites is Liverpool away, early in our first season in the Prem in 98. Balmy summers day, big away following, first trip to Anfield. Rufus, Mendonca and Jones for a 3-3 draw, if only the ref had played advantage when Robbo put Andy Hunt in to have made it 3-1 at the time...
  • Options
    Brescia away (lost 0-2) - a million hour coach journey, was sick on my shoes somewhere through the Swiss Alps....brilliant brilliant trip!

Newcastle away (won 3-4) - a million hour coach journey, three nil down within half hour, come back to win 4-3 in the last minute....went with my grandad, his last ever away game (as it stands right now...he is still going strong!)

Sunderland (4-4) - no explanation needed, just incredible.

Southampton home (won 5-0) - oh hello Premier League!

Blackburn away (2-2) - day we clinched the title finally, had been in Blackpool drunk for 3 days before. Caught Simon Royce's boot after the game. Awesomeness!

• Options
    DanDavis said:

Newcastle away (won 3-4) - a million hour coach journey, three nil down within half hour, come back to win 4-3 in the last minute....went with my grandad, his last ever away game (as it stands right now...he is still going strong!)

I wish I'd thought of this one. It was the day before my Dad died, so one of the last things I could tell him was that Charlton had won. It was all the sweeter for us, because his friends were Newcastle fans.
  • Options
    Would have to think, but a recent one would have to be the Southend 1-2 last minute winner, purely for the reaction of the away end. Was by the steps adjacent to the home end, there were people on the floor by the time the players were jogging back to position.
  • Options
    the 4-1 win over Forest in the 97-98 season, think it was the cup, then 8 weeks later we did them 4-2 in the league

the carling cup win on penalties at chelsea, when bent scored some people were heading off for half time, i was on a seat right by stairs and when he scored i got bundled on, loved it

2-1 over palace 96/97, revenge for the playoffs

• Options
    Some of these are just too easy. So after a bit of reflection:

My first game in 1968. That huge terrace, the arches on the West Stand, the peanut seller, the roast chestnuts, the garden shed for a club shop with hardly anything in it. looking through the programme for the next three days at the stats. Jumpers for goalposts.

A 0-0 draw with Cambridge United at The Valley, probably early 80's, standing on an almost empty East Terrace. It lashed with rain and the pitch was a quagmire. It was bloody awfull, but on the way home I felt proud that I had travelled up to support my team in a meaningless game in such terrible conditions.

Taking my eldest to his first game, a 5-1 win against Notts County. Another lifelong Addick was born that day.

The euphoria of Wembley 1998. No more need be said

The utter despair of a 2-1 defeat at Coventry the following season when they had a man sent of (Aloisi? sp?) and that weasel Noel Whelan put away the winner. It took me a week to get over it.

I could go on.

• Options
    the 4-2 win at Wallsall, great atmosphere - the Warsaw social club, fat blokes & fat stewardesses, Pringle's incredi-miss, mayhem when we scored, amazing balti pies - lovely drive home along deserted motorways.....& I think it was live on TV (but i might be wrong about that)
  • Options
    3-1 at Sunderland in the Prem. Mrs K had not seen The Mighty Addicks score a goal in the Prem after about 8 attempts. At the end she still hadn't seen an Addick score! The Sunderland support in the second half summed up the best of football. Always look on the bright side...and travelling Addicks giving their fans a big hand too.

5th Dec (twice) for obvious reasons and I will add Wembley 98 and old Trafford 94 but could have been 3-1 Preston or Carlisle last season, winning at Anfield, Highbury, Stamford Bridge or 3 Point Lane......how can you choose just 5??
  • Options
    Another 5 to be greedy, but more personal ones

1979? Away at Orient, my first game, with the Cubs, abandoned at half time at 0-0 due to a water logged pitch!

Feb 89, away at Spurs, singing 'we're going back to the Valley' all game, it was around the time that things were progressing well (before the next setback)

Jan 92, home vs Barnet in the FA Cup (3-1?), I started going regularly after that

May 06 vs Blackburn, Curbishley's final game, and I wasn't there! But I was able to watch it on tv in Singapore...

Nov 08, losing 5-2 at home to Sheff Utd with a dreadful performance. Pardew sacked after the game, which was also Gary Speed's last game.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster said:

the 4-2 win at Wallsall, great atmosphere - the Warsaw social club, fat blokes & fat stewardesses, Pringle's incredi-miss, mayhem when we scored, amazing balti pies - lovely drive home along deserted motorways.....& I think it was live on TV (but i might be wrong about that)

The Bonser Suite. Proper Phoenix Nights gaff. If I remember rightly you were working and drove from client to client dropping the rest of us in a pub at each stop. Utterly mullered that day.

• Options
    I'm always too psst to remember the game !
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Very difficult to pick. Will try and stay away from the obvious choices.

FC Tevarit away. Oulu Finland. Party boat from Stockholm to Helsinki which included a mad disco full of Estonian prostitutes. Flight up to Oulu. 24 hour sunshine and 24 hour boozing. Met two Finnish blokes who used to post on the pink oboe list and the elder of the two was carried out of a club at 4am never to be heard from again.

Bray Wanderers away. Been twice and each time has been a huge piss up. Who can forget that epic match thread where several horribly drunk posters sent random bollocks over the Irish Sea for 90mins.

The aforementioned Barnsley conga game. Think me and @rikofold were in a miners club beforehand. Never been that cold at a match. Was the week before Portsmouth 92 I think.

Fancy dress at Old Trafford. Relegation party. Utd were due to play Palace in the cup final and a chant of your gonna win the cup started a mass love in. With Utd fans lining up outside the away end to exchange scarfs and insist that we'd be back. Think it was around 1989.

Last one isnt strictly a CAFC match, but was a CIFC match. Away to Ayr in the internet FA cup. Brilliant few days. Quite a few on here were part of those shenanigans!
  • Options
    As most are obvious I will go for more obscure ones. Winning 5-3 at Brighton in the Selhurst promotion season, what a game. Oldham away when they were good and we had lost so many games in a row, on plastic, 1-1 draw, Andy Jones miss and about 150 fans on a Tues night all left with some pride restored. Aston Villa away in 1st Division. A shoal of Haddocks and Leaburn at last in a 2-1 win. Chelsea away when Bartlett scored and Parker/Jensen had the ball glued to their feet. 1-0 awesome. Also the whole of 91/92 when I did all matches give or take a Blackwall Tunnel hold up. Away from Selhurst and although stuck at West Ham the team did so well - Lee, Walsh, Nelson, Webster and mor. Real Charlton team.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    In no order:

Charlton 5-0 Southampton - Aug 98 - My first game as a season ticket holder aged 10
    Aston Villa 3-4 Charlton - May 99 - Really thought we would stay up after that, what a match
    Carlisle 0-1 Charlton - Apr 12 - A long long drive but so so worth it
    Northwich 1-0 Charlton - Nov 09 - Sunday morning drive, all alone, horrible 90 minutes but 'I was there'
    Charlton 0-2 Spurs - May 07 - Singing VFR and not flinching when Defoe scored was a special moment

Actually....

I've not even mentioned any of:

Charlton 3-2 Blackburn - Friedel scoring at the Valley, then Claus getting the winner
    Charlton 4-1 Coventry - Sir Chris Powell
    Coventry 2-3 Charlton - 2 nil down, 3-2 up, what more could you ask for, great away day
    Charlton 2-2 Palace - Jon Fortune
    Charlton 2-2 Swindon - 9 men for over half the match

OK I know thats 10 but how can I not mention any of these?

So easy to get carried away, could easily mention more and more too.....great thread idea
  • Options
    Great thread.

1) St Andrews playoff
    2) Carlisle away 1986
    3) Wembley 1998
    4) Brentford at home Aug 1980 (nothing apart from was my first game)
    5) Stoke away 1986, nothing special but a very good day out with friends I don't see much of anymore.
  • Options
    Charlton vs Tranmere x5.

Just defines me as a person unfortunately. :-)
  • Options
    Its funny how so many of the 'non-classic' games keep getting mentioned.....I too was at Barnsley for the conga. The game was terrible, it was freezing....and yet 20 years later it is still so vivid in the memory!

I just thought of another one, a 2-0 win at Blackburn when they had just started to become decent. A few got on the pitch when we scored and I know one definitely slipped and stacked it big time....funny. I also remember 'Bod' making the whole away end crack up by shouting "ball man" at possibly the oldest ball boy I'd ever seen!

Great times :)
  • Options

In no order:

Charlton 5-0 Southampton - Aug 98 - My first game as a season ticket holder aged 10
    Aston Villa 3-4 Charlton - May 99 - Really thought we would stay up after that, what a match
    Carlisle 0-1 Charlton - Apr 12 - A long long drive but so so worth it
    Northwich 1-0 Charlton - Nov 09 - Sunday morning drive, all alone, horrible 90 minutes but 'I was there'
    Charlton 0-2 Spurs - May 07 - Singing VFR and not flinching when Defoe scored was a special moment

Actually....

I've not even mentioned any of:

Charlton 3-2 Blackpool - Friedel scoring at the Valley, then Claus getting the winner
    Charlton 4-1 Coventry - Sir Chris Powell
    Coventry 2-3 Charlton - 2 nil down, 3-2 up, what more could you ask for, great away day
    Charlton 2-2 Palace - Jon Fortune
    Charlton 2-2 Swindon - 9 men for over half the match

OK I know thats 10 but how can I not mention any of these?

So easy to get carried away, could easily mention more and more too.....great thread idea

How could I have forgotten the 4-1 win against Coventry with Powell scoring in his last ever match. Bought a tear to my eye!! God I love this thread!!!!
  • Options

Oakster said:

The Bonser Suite. Proper Phoenix Nights gaff. If I remember rightly you were working and drove from client to client dropping the rest of us in a pub at each stop. Utterly mullered that day.

it was the last game in a 9 league match consecutive win streak, in hindsight my liver was thankful to Swindon & Dean Kiely for ending it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster said:

Oakster said:

it was the last game in a 9 league match consecutive win streak, in hindsight my liver was thankful to Swindon & Dean Kiely for ending it!
    Even that games sums Charlton up as our magnificent winning run ends at home to bottom of the table Swindon

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Oakster said:

Oakster said:

Even that games sums Charlton up as our magnificent winning run ends at home to bottom of the table Swindon

I thought we had won 12 in a row in the league and Keily was notorious for his superstitions?
  • Options
    Yeah, think it was 12 as well, a run preceded by a 0-0 away at QPR.

• Options
    1. Play off final

2. Charlton 1 Portsmouth 0 05/12/92

3. Aston Villa 3 Charlton 4 May 1999 - last minute winner to keep us up, a draw would have relegated us, Petterson sent off, Steve Brown in goal who made a match winning save

4. Charlton 3 Man United 3 December 2000, Man U 3-1 up think they've won it and take off Beckham and Keane, they hadnt reckoned on John Robinson

5. Newcastle 3 Charlton 4 18/01/92 - 3-0 down before half time, superb fight back, and an 89th min own goal to win it
  • Options
    These are the 5 games that done it for me for one reason or another!

I could have picked dozens!!

1. Chelsea 1 Charlton 1 07/05/88 Paul Miller goal and all that went with it!!!

2. Newcastle 3 Charlton 4 18/01/92 3-0 down and winning in the last minute 4-3 being chased around the ground before the game...lol

3. Blackburn 0 Charlton 2 21/03/92 Blackburn were smashing the league under Mr Dalglish and we went up there and beat them 2-0 with a CARL LEABURN BICYCLE KICK which led to a pitch invasion QUALITY DAY OUT!

4. Blackburn 0 Charlton 1 (FA CUP REPLAY 08/02/94) Again beating the premership champions elect

5. Southend 1 Charlton 2 26/02/10 CRAZY DAY ALL ROUND A day me and my pals still talk about!!

COYR
  • Options
    Most of mine are already there but one new one at number 5

1. Back to the Valley December 1992

2. Play off Final May 1998

3. Play off semi-final away at Ipswich, 1998. Sasa's catch and the realisation that we were one game from Wembley.

4. 3-3 against Man Utd

5. Charlton 4 Reading 2 in 2008. Saw the first two league games that season before returning to Thailand, expecting a push for the play-offs. That was as good as it got that season, which of course culminated in relegation to league one.

Honourable mention for three defeats: Swindon (see above), 1-6 v Leeds and 0-4 v Liverpool at Selhurst (Ronnie Rosenthal's brilliant hat-trick applauded by the Charlton fans).

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Bristol Rovers 5 Charlton Athletic 5 77-78 season I think. My first away game outside London. Went on Lewis coaches and was hooked on away games from that day. Watch a match that was, could and should have been lots more goals.

Brighton 7 Charlton 0. Typical Charlton collapse from those days, five down at half time, Lennie Lawrence sat in the dug out through the half time interval and we then sang the ground down for the whole second half. Brilliant support!

Manchester Utd 0 Charlton Athletic 1 85-86 era. Couldn`t believe that we could ever achieve a result like this. Mark Stuart scored early in the second half and we held on comfortably to record a famous victory. Brilliant day out!

Sunderland 4 Charlton Athletic 4(6-7 on pens) No real need to explain why!

Charlton Athletic 2 Sheffield United 5 08-09. When I knew for certain that after 16 years of good times since the Valley return the bad dark days were coming back! Remember feeling numb inside for days after and actually had a feeling of hatred for my own football team!
  • Options
    I have to have 6

Carlisle promotion last season epic in many ways and a day that I will never ever forget

Seemed at the time to put a plaster over many wounds
  • Options
    Ok, this will change tomorrow but here is my current thinking in chronological order.

August 1986. Man Utd. 0 Charlton 1. By no means a vintage Utd. side but I still get strange looks from people when I tell them that I've seen Charlton win at Old Trafford.

May 1998. Ipswich 0 Charlton 1. I knew we would go up after this. Didn't even give them the ball in the 2nd leg.

January 2000. Coventry 2 Charlton 3. Oh Andy Hunt...Sat right next to the Coventry fans and got no end of stick for 40 minutes. Really gave it to them in the second half. I think we are still the only lower division team to be 2 goals down away to a premiership side in the cup and win.

November 2001. Arsenal 2 Charlton 4. Extraordinary. And it wasn't a penalty

December 2004. Croydon W*****s 0 Dennis 1. Not many of us there but loads of faces. Voted Dennis player of the season for three seasons on the strength of this goal
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    1) Charlton 1-1 Port Vale (1993?) - Musselwhite had a blinder in goal for them, my first game as a Charlton fan.
    2) Charlton 4-4 Sunderland (1998) - Best game i've seen live, best footballing moment ever
    3) Charlton 3-1 Fulham (2003) - We went up to 4th place in the league and one of the best performances from a charlton side i'd ever seen.
    4) Northwich Victoria 1-0 Charlton (2009) - Realising how far we had fallen and how low i felt supporting the club
    5) Charlton 3-2 Hartlepool (2012) - Lifting the League one trophy and realising i had my Charlton back!