Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 CAFC games that define what football is all about for you personally...........

Comments

• Options
    E-cafc said:

Bristol Rovers 5 Charlton Athletic 5 77-78 season I think. My first away game outside London. Went on Lewis coaches and was hooked on away games from that day. Watch a match that was, could and should have been lots more goals.

what a game that was ... terrific day out
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    wow what a great thread, I can't remember years but here are my five after 50ish year of support
    Charlton v Blackburn: my first ever football match, taken by my foster dad, stood in the corner where the big screen is now situated, we had to win or draw to get back into the 1st Div at the first try, we lost by the odd goal, 2-3 I think, but huge crowd and an exciting match

1975 Charlton v Preston: what a night, promotion back to Div 2, pitch invasion and then celebrations down at the Anchor and Hope

Palarse v Charlton: don't remember the year but we won by the odd goal, scored by a loanee Kitson I think. A special game as it was at this game I realised that the wife was one of the Addicted, there was a bit of trouble and one of our lot was being unfairly ejected, so the chant went up 'all the police are wankers' the wife not only joined in but stood on her seat to do so!

WetSpam v Charlton, Boxing Day: Carfull of us came up from Andover, got done by a speed camera and our team never turned up, truely aweful afternoon, but sometime it is the bad ones that make the best better.

Blackburn v Charlton 2007: We stood outside the pub and watched coach after coach come down the hill with the places they had come from in the front of each coach, places from all over SE England,we felt so proud to be Charlton supporters. As for the match all I remember is in the warm up Murphy was all by himself in the centre circle seemingly ostracised by the rest of the team.

Carlisle v Charlton 2012:Promotion! Wife with her leg in plaster and me partly disabled surrounded by fellow supporters who were ready for a pitch invasion, what a brilliant afternoon.

Of course the first game back at the Valley and the playoff final are up there as well.

• Options
    I wasn't there so didn't include it, but disappointed nobody has mentioned the 5-1 win at Ipswich in 95, as this was the game when Carl Leaburn got a hattrick. What were the odds on that :-)
  • Options

I wasn't there so didn't include it, but disappointed nobody has mentioned the 5-1 win at Ipswich in 95, as this was the game when Carl Leaburn got a hattrick. What were the odds on that :-)

No-one has mentioned it yet because they are all still in shock!

• Options

The aforementioned Barnsley conga game. Think me and @rikofold were in a miners club beforehand. Never been that cold at a match. Was the week before Portsmouth 92 I think.

It was ludicrously cold. The pub was in the middle of nowhere and served a brilliant pint along with very friendly locals. But I can't remember it being packed out with Charlton - how did we find it?

• Options
    Having just gone through a list of mine, I've realised that I'm miserable and those games that have most resonance appear to be ones that brought disappointment and agony!! A couple of these are pretty obscure but I think help to sum up what supporting CAFC is like.

Northwich Victoria 1-0 Charlton

On ITV against non-league opposition. Of course we were going to lose.

A game that taught me no matter how low things seem to have got, they can always go lower.

Charlton 2-4 Tottenham in the FA Cup 2001

2-0 up and cruising (CP's first goal in CAFC colours), before 3 goals in five minutes and another from Sergei Rebrov of all people sent us out.

A game that taught me that we could be winning 5-0 with 3 minutes to go in the FA Cup final and we still probably won't win it.

Charlton 3-3 Aston Villa

2-0 up with only ten men, Villa got it back to 2-2 (if I remember rightly Ginola came on as sub and was unplayable) before Mark Kinsella went through to score with only minutes to go. Cue crowd go mad. Then in the last minute Lee Hendrie scores for Villa to take it to 3-3. Crowd go from jubilant to silent in a split-second. Urgh.

A game that taught me draws can truly feel like defeat.

Now let's get onto the happy ones!

Bournemouth 0-1 Charlton

Probably our worst performance of the season. However, last minute we come up trumps with Super Yann and a Jacko air kick and we broke the record for number of away wins in a season. Crowd on both sides of the pitch go loopy.

A game that taught me we were truly destined to be champions last year.

Charlton 4-2 Chelsea

I can't remember another game where we looked so dominant against a top side. I doubt there'll be another occasion like it again for a very very long term. A day where we took on some of the world's best and truly thumped them.

A game that taught me just what plucky old Charlton can achieve.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

The Villa 4-3, one of the funniest days of my life with epic performances off the pitch from @ClemSnide & @Razil amongst many others - it was the booze rather than the hope that nearly killed us!

Was that the day Clem knackered his knee? That was also the day MOTD pictured me with pie crumbling out me chops.
  • Options
    JT said:

Would have to think, but a recent one would have to be the Southend 1-2 last minute winner, purely for the reaction of the away end. Was by the steps adjacent to the home end, there were people on the floor by the time the players were jogging back to position.

Great pick - Southend throws up a few favourites including the great Kelvin Morton game - didn't he send off Gatting and Walsh, then turn his attentions to joint manager Curbs?
  • Options
    rikofold said:

The aforementioned Barnsley conga game. Think me and @rikofold were in a miners club beforehand. Never been that cold at a match. Was the week before Portsmouth 92 I think.

It was ludicrously cold. The pub was in the middle of nowhere and served a brilliant pint along with very friendly locals. But I can't remember it being packed out with Charlton - how did we find it?

We got there really early. Pretty sure we just stumbled across it.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Oakster said:

The Villa 4-3, one of the funniest days of my life with epic performances off the pitch from @ClemSnide & @Razil amongst many others - it was the booze rather than the hope that nearly killed us!

Was that the day Clem knackered his knee? That was also the day MOTD pictured me with pie crumbling out me chops.
    It was. I also nearly drowned. When we went 1-0 up in my drunken state I decided I was going on the pitch. Slipped and fell face down in a massive puddle, a load of others ended up on top of me. My face was totally submerged and I was proving the point that you can drown in 1-2 inches of water until thestewards stepped in!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not so much games but little events during some that stick in my mind. Taking out the obvious Valley homecoming and Playoff final….

Was at the Swindon away downpour game, soaked and at one point couldn’t even see the pitch as there was so much rain in my eyes so ended up looking down trying to keep as small as possible to avoid the lashings to my bonce. Memories faded now but I’m convinced that we scored during this cloudburst and only knowing because suddenly everyone went mental around me so just joined in assuming we’d scored. Still not even seen the goal back on TV!

The 2-2 Newcastle home game with Pringle’s equaliser mainly because that whole game reflected my feelings. Monumental hangover and throwing up twice alone on the walk to the Valley (with disapproving looks from my Dad). First half still felt dog rough and although I was there just couldn’t really focus on the game, another two very close chundering moments too that I managed to just about hold down. Half time came and did think about just heading home to die in peace. But the second half, as it went on, suddenly I slowly felt better and better. We were battering them and that equaliser just seemed that it may be out of our grasp. But, by the time Pringle lashed home the rebound I had fully recovered and was jumping around like a looney. However, walked out feeling great, bought an orange juice on the way out at the newsagents at the top of Floyd road, 10 minutes later, that same orange juice was back over the pavement again and the hangover fog came back with a vengeance. Power of a football game can cure hangovers – if only for an hour!

Stockport away (can’t remember but think it was 98?) and we got spanked 3-0. Not a notable game, but stand out was being goaded by Stockport fans on the way out. Usually this doesn’t bother me too much but it got to me more and more. Finally losing and ranting at raving when on the coach driving away from the game when a bunch of 11/12 year olds gave it the wanker sign to me in unison when stuck at some traffic lights. Not my finest moment and felt really bad about it about 10 minutes later, they were only kids! Still get stick for it today from mates/family.

Forest away, the 5-2 game in the Van Hooijdonk days. When 4-2 down and singing “we’re gonna win 5-4” when the 5th went in mid song. Quickly adapted almost instantly by everyone to “we’re gonna win 6-5”. Always reminds me of how good away games are when almost everyone instinctively has the same humour and feeling. Remember returning the spanking back at the Valley twice in a couple of weeks in the cup/league too which felt great.

Taking my son to his first game against Exeter couple of seasons back in the first of the £5 games. Not only taking my son but seeing the Valley packed again even though we lost 2-0. Took one of my sons friends too who is a hammer and have taken both since and they love it. What I find the best is they not only enjoy the game but what goes on during it off pitch. First thing my son’s friend shouts at me when he sees me is FIIIIIIIIIISSSHHHH. They always talk about the ref nearly got hit with the paper aeroplane and also when someone in the crowded headed the ball back after it had been cleared off the pitch and how it got cheered. Goes to show no matter what age there will always be memorable moments on and off the pitch that one day they’ll be on here posting!
  • Options
    In no particular order'

Charlton 4-4 Sunderland Play-offs '98- for obvious reasons, most exciting club game at Wembley ever and although I was only 10 I still remember it.

Palace 0-1 Charlton '07- remember the atmosphere being unbelievable, sheer domination by the away fans, the scenes when we scored.

Carlisle 3-4 Charlton '10- not the Carlise away that everyone will remember but it stands out personally for me because of how far me and a mate travelled to get there and the fact that we was with about 300 other away fans, also we lost 0-4 at home to Brighton the week before so on route we were questioning our sanity. But to come away with 3 points with a 92nd minute winner it was possibly my favourite away day.

Charlton 1-0 Palace '09- our first win in 18 games, remember being so happy that we put a stop to that awful run against them, although i knew we were still doomed for the drop.

Charlton 4-4 Millwall- Such an eventful game, didn't enjoy one bit at the time.
  • Options
    Like Len Glover I have supported 50+ years, but I have to say so much of my memory for match detail is shot to bits.

Anyway, here goes:-

Millwall 1 Charlton 1 - Can't remember the year but Tony Burman got our goal. Walking through those narrow streets from New Cross station, for some reason we spent the game at the Millwall end; no colours, just a mix of excitement and fear. Remember them singing "What shall we do with the Charlton bastards, stab them in the gasket" to the tune of drunken sailor. Didn't know whether to scream or shit when we scored.

Charlton 5 Brentford 0 (late 70's)- Only a League Cup match, but absolutely lit up by a teenage Paul Walsh, the most exciting player I'd seen come through our youth team. I absolutely adored him from that moment, such brilliant close control and change of direction, he skinned any defender that got too close. He got a hatrick and Killer got the other 2.

Charlton 4 Spurs 1 (70's) - Could also have picked the 4-0 Chelsea game from a similar time. So rare to see the old Valley packed out like that in that period and to demolish such a big name team with a Mike Flanagan hattrick in his glorious pomp.

Charlton 2 Palace 2 (200?) - For me the game that finally excorcised all the pent up frustration and anger built up from Allison's braggadocio, the groundshare humiliation, Jordan and all the years of their jumped up flash harry crassness. Now they sing "who's effing laughing now?" I'll tell you. Me. Then, now and forever. I'll never forget that day

Yeovil 1 Charlton 1 - Uncovered terraces are a thing of the past now; so I was determined that my son would experience it. I wasn't counting on a monsoon and a gale blowing in our faces, with my bedraggled boy shivering and shaking so much that the stewards kept enquiring of his wellbeing. He'll never forget it and I wouldn't have missed it for the world

• Options
    1. Promotion at home to Preston in '75 - my first taste of a really big end of season game.

2. Chelsea at home in '77. Winning 4-0 in front of a massive crowd. Then, as an 11 year old boy, standing with my Dad at the top of the old east terrace at the end of the game with fires burning in the covered end and the sounds of sections of the ground being smashed up by the rabid nutters.

3. Leeds play off at St Andrews in '87. More pressure than '98 play off final. Charlton staring deep in to the abyss, whereupon a quick fire double by Yorkshireman skipper Shirtliff preserves the clubs status and future. Never felt such relief at the end of a game.

4. Chelsea in '88, final game of the season aka 'Battle of the Bridge'. Very similar to the above. Sinister atmosphere around the ground. Players stood up to everything thrown at them, including a ludicrous penalty. Stressful inside and outside the stadium.

5. Sunderland at Wembley in '98 - wonderful game, great support for both teams and a nail-biting finish. Sheer elation. Grateful to have been able to enjoy that special day with my Dad.
  • Options
    Charlton 5-3 Barnsley. Early 80's. we were 3 down.

Play off final 98

Back to the Valley 92

Bournemouth at home 1974 ( had my name in the programme - quite a big thing for a six year old!)

Stoke at home 1985. Thought the club would die that day, as it happened it was reborn instead !
  • Options
    1. First game. Can't remember the team or the result sometime in '71-'72 season. Overwhelming memory is the vast East terrace and the excitement of walking in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD with seemingly thousands of people as we went down Charlton Lane to my great Aunt's at full time. (I still get a bizarre buzz when walking in the road in a big crowd!)

2. 1987 Full Members cup final. Remember the semi-final and on the pitch at the end with the realisation we were in a final. Also remember skipping out of Uni and going down to Selhurst to queue (yes, there was one) for WEMBLEY tickets. As said by others, such a terrible game I can't remember much of it, but we were at Wembley and my Dad was sooooo pleased to be there (I think he always slightly resented the fact that my Grandad went in '46 and '47 and he didn't - but he was only 4 years old!)

3. 1987 Play-off replay at Birmingham. Knew it was big, but only in retrospect realised how important to the club's survival that one game was. Proud I was there.

4. 1998 Play-off final. Nuff said about the game, what made it particularly memorable was that I rolled the car (twice) into a wood on the way home but walked away - fortune definitely smiled on me that day.

5. 12th April 2008 Charlton vs Southampton 1-1. CatJnr's first game and the introduction of 4th generation fan to the Valley. Sat near the front of lower west by the tunnel and got wet, but he loved it and has never looked back.
  • Options
    Chelsea 1 Charlton 1 - Paul Miller's looping equaliser meaning that Charlton survived and Chelsea fell into the play-offs. Memorable because I had taken the Fiancee to the match because we were off to the Whitney Houston concert that evening with the intention to propose (engagement ring sitting in my pocket!) to her during 'Saving All My Love For You'....but it went horribly wrong! I had bought tickets in the side stand that was Chelsea only and she was petrified from the outset; insisting that I do not move a muscle if Charlton scored. Well, guess what. Charlton scored, I rose to my feet with a mighty roar......and sunk back down into my seat in the same movement to a barrage of local abuse. The Fiancee was furious and demanded to leave. We saw it through but with the frostiest of atmosphere. Maybe needless to say I didn't bother with the proposal that day, though Whitney was truly incredible (pre-Bobby Brown).............................oh, and we are no longer together! Definitely memorable for several reasons, I'd say.
  • Options
    I remember before Bromley high street was pedestrianised and the thrill of walking on the road as a child, those were the days!

5 home games.

Charlton 3-3 Man Utd 2001. Probably the most entertaining game I can remember with the utd fans Ten Cantonas of Christmas chant
    adding to that. Giggs hitting the cross bar from the half way line, which has never even been mentioned, let alone seen again summing up the game.

Charlton 1-0 Palace. 2009. Even at our worse we were still better.

Charlton 4-2 Chelsea 2004. The best we've ever played.

Charlton 4-1 Nott'm Forest 98. They were running away with the league and we trashed them! I laughed at my dad who suggested that we may go up after that performance.

Charlton 1-6 Leeds. This game has to be mentioned, we actually outsang the Leeds fans at the end who were in total shock!
  • Options
    edited August 2013

An almost alternative list:

1) Coventry 2 CAFC 3: (Jan 2000) Great weekend and great comeback, was staying up with a mate in the West Midlands and it was just a mad weekend.

2) Chelsea 1 CAFC 1 [CAFC win 5-4 on pens]: (Oct 2005) Went to Stamford Bridge that night with a stinky rotten cold and by the end totally lost my voice. Knocked millions of pounds worth of talent on penalties and inflicted the Special One's first loss at the Bridge. I actually truely and honestly had this premantion we'd win that tie penalties.

3) Plymouth 1 CAFC 2: (Apr 2008) Great day down in Devon and going down to ten men after 2 minutes or something when Weaver was sent off and Robbie a real Charlton fan comes on and has a great debut. We fall behind in the second half and come back to win 2-1 and Robbie pulled of a worldy save in stoppage time.

4) Carlisle 3 CAFC 4: (Oct 2010) Just real drama being 3-0 only to be pegged to 3-3 only to hit a stoppage time winner from Paul "Benno" Benson. To do that at the furthest ground in the league. Amazing.

5) Carlisle 0 CAFC 1: (Apr 2012) To go and claim promotion at the furthest ground in the country and do it for a 3rd time. This was the only one of the three I went to but what a day and what a celebration.

Here's 2 to add to the above list......

6) Blackburn 1 CAFC 2: (Jan 2013) For over a week I had monitored the waether forecast and for large parts it looked like the games was going to get snowed off. But as we got closer it looked the worst of the snow was goinng avoid to avoid that part of Lancashire and it did. But it fell badly in other parts of the country. I knew that with undersoil heating at Ewood and the worst of snow staying away meaning the streets would be safe enough there was agood chance of the game staying on after all. And I fought my way up on the train through the snow and then likewise again back home but that day we defended like warriors to win the game. Yipp Yapp Yann with the winng header.

7) Barnsley 0 CAFC 6: (Apr 2013) On the annivesary weekend of winning promotion the year before we secure the biggest away win in the clubs history. Six different goal scorers. A game where afterwards (even though it was a crazy Championship) that a mathematical miricle would sent us back to League 1 at the end of that season. A game (as long standing bet) I had to take my top off at the end which I did at the top of the stand at Oakwell that afternoon.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

1 Chelsea away 88, such an important result for us, and yet it's hard to imagine how much football has changed since then, a ramshackle sh*thole of a ground, NF recruitment outside, a rubbish Chelsea team with really passionate, hostile (and nasty) supporters, it's hard to equate it to the multinational team of millionaires owned by a Russian oligarch, with a ground full of middle class supporters

2 Portsmouth 92, the return to The Valley and the rebirth of the club, a story that inspired a nation

3 Man U away 94, 10,000 Charlton fans in Old Trafford, Schmeichel getting sent off, things can only get better...

4 Wembley 98, THE game, we've made it to the big time! The most drained I've ever been at a football match

5 Liverpool away 2007, our last PL game, but Pardew was popular and a good manager and going to lead us straight up he following season :-(

Same except for Liverpool away 2007 to be replaced by either the 7-4 home win over, unbeaten at the time, Pompey 1/10/60 and the 5 goal haul by the late great Johnny Summers OR the away win at Carlisle in April 2011 to clinch promotion and end the pain of the last few years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

Blackburn 3-2 at the Valley. It's not over til it's over. Never felt such a mix of emotions in 2 minutes for what wasn't even that inportant a game. Don't think I've ever screamed so much in my life.

Claus Jensen's winning goal- one of the best I've ever seen. An exquisite first-time volley with the outside of his right foot. Curled it round Friedel's outstretched right hand, just touched his fingertips on its way just inside the post. Unbelievable.

• Options
    Many great matches over the 60 years of supporting the lads, although have not been as committed as many throughout that time for varied reasons. The obvious ones of the more recent past, are the play-off final, drawing with Man. U in the prem, drawing with C.Palace to send them down, beating Arsenal at Highbury ( I insisted that my grandson stayed with me to cheer the boys back onto the coach afterwards, telling him that he wouldn't get the opportunity to do that again very often) and one that may not have been mentioned, when we beat Millwall on the icy pitch at the Den, when the spanners were top of the league on that December evening, but finished up getting relegated. That was the start of the AC revival.
  • Options
    Grimsby away 1999, one of my first aways on a tues night. Coach was late so we arrived just before half time in time to see them go 2-1 up. Second half charlton kicking towards the away fans and go on to win 5-2. One of my favourite cafc memories.
  • Options
    Cal_1991 said:

Grimsby away 1999, one of my first aways on a tues night. Coach was late so we arrived just before half time in time to see them go 2-1 up. Second half charlton kicking towards the away fans and go on to win 5-2. One of my favourite cafc memories.

Remember it well, or do I ? I thought it was a Friday night as we stayed up for the weekend.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Gosh, Organiser, I always thought you were older than that! Anyway, you said personally, so...

My first match at the Valley sometime in the early 70s, third div, with my dad. No idea who it was against. We either won or drew and, apparently, I was impressed by the goalie.

Charlton v Kettering. FA Cup Round 4. End of Jan 1989. At Selhurst. Won 2-1. Mr Weegie's first game. Enough said.

Losing 7-1 away at Luton. Even the ref took pity...

Carlisle away 2011 - the best recently. Thank you, CAFC and SCP.

Liverpool 3-2 ten years ago. Lisbie hat- trick. A special birthday present for me. Ten year anniversary v Forest soon....

(By the way, ask me tomorrow and get v different answer - so many, great thread, great memories.)
  • Options

Cal_1991 said:

Remember it well, or do I ? I thought it was a Friday night as we stayed up for the weekend.
    Could have been, I can't remember exactly, I was only 8 at the time!
  • Options
    Cal_1991 said:

Cal_1991 said:

Could have been, I can't remember exactly, I was only 8 at the time!
    It was a Friday night, moved from the Saturday due to international games. I was in Dublin to see Deano make his debut as he unexpectedly came on has a sub.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Playoff final
    Arsenal 2 Cafc 4
    Coventry 2 Cafc 3
    Charlton 0 Liverpool 4 (rosental hatrick at sellout park. One of my first ever Cafc games.
    Charlton 1 Ipswich 0 (playoffs. Best atmosphere at the valley I've ever witnessed)
  • Options
    Les Berry own goal from the half way line in the 70's - can't remember who against

Hales/Flanagan fight v Maidstone; yes, I was there that night standing down the front of the East Stand (terrace) by the tall pitch fencing

Fire in the North Stand v Brighton

Allan Simonsen's reserve team debut

Danny Mills' screamer to beat Villa 3-4 and have a chance of survival

Coach crash on the way to Forest in the 'must win' league game

Car stolen from the Valley in the last, meaningless end of season game

Wembley '98, Carlisle 2011
  • Options
    In no particular order -

1) Charlton 0 Liverpool 2. Jan 1988 at selhurst. First ever game at saw one of the all time great english sides. Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Houghton, Mcmahon et al

2) Play off final. End of.

3) 1-1 at st andrews last year. Day after my mum died, and remember hugging a complete stranger after Leon scored and thinking the gloom had lifted for just a second. Looked up to the sky and whispered 'thanks mum'. Then bloody Zigic scored.

4) 2-1 v Villa the year we got relegated from the prem. Hughes scored the last minute winner and it literally went mental.

5) 4-3 win up at villa in april 1999. Still went down but remember watching soccer saturday in dixons at bluewater and going mad when mills goal came up. The day jimmy glass scored for carlisle also I think....