Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drugs Live

13»

Comments

• Options
    This thread makes me miss England ;-(
  • Options

Poplcon, what is an OT ? (Occupational therapy is the assessment and treatment of physical and psychiatric conditions).
    Also, what is their opinion on smoking cannabis ?

Yes, she's an occupational therapist, it's her job to get these people ready for society.
    A large percentage of the people in the centre have suffered mental health issues due to the usage of cannabis, particularly super strengths, such as skunk.

One mental health problem is schizophrenia, which is very serious and has been connected to the use of cannabis.
    Other mental health issues that can onset due to the drug are, depression (which is very, very common), hallucinations, paranoia, anxiety, as well as panic attacks and other psychotic disease.
    I'm not an expert on mental health, but there is loads of info available online.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

If more test subjects are needed for

Weed
    Cocaine
    Es
    Ket

Then I am in

Serious question NLA.

You come across as a caring and devoted father so how would you feel if your kids got into drugs when they are old enough?
  • Options
    Loco said:

PopIcon said:

Loco said:

I find it amazing that these drugs are banned with so little actual evidence that they do harm. A much quoted reference is that 'E' is safer than aspirin and yet is a class A drug, it's just that sort of inconsistency that leads youngsters to disbelieve advice on drugs. In fact I remember that the whole drugs advisory board resigned a few years ago over just such a issue.

I think it is far overdue for government to de-politicise drug taking and take a more mature approach, I don’t think it is sensible for a government to try to to be my parent. Why don’t they just draft loose legislation around which experts could make the decisions on the bases of the most harm and declassify the harmless? What is it with politicians moralising and telling citizens how to run their lives!

*stands back and awaits rebuke*

Define safe, if you mean that certain drugs won't kill you directly then does that make them safe?
    I have a good friend who is an OT, she works in a mental health unit. Most of the people who are there suffer from psychosis issues brought on as a result of taking drugs. Their lives will never be the same again, and many of them are dangerous.
    The thing is lots of people are predisposed to these things and there is no way of knowing the outcome, I kid you not there are kids who have become damaged after only one spliff, very sad stuff.
    I never used the word safe, I said safer.

Is crossing the road safe? I'm sure someone on here will know someone that treats and rehabilitates people involved in road traffic accidents, will the government prevent us from crossing the road? Will we still be able to drive cars? The fact is that people die from aspirin and that is still widely available over the counter "I kid you not", will the government ban that too? Life is full of risks but we have to live it, you cont hide from risk it's all around us.

But, you miss the point and that is; it is not the governments place to wrap us in cotton wool, I am a free man and I'll decide what I risk not you them or anyone else. We provide the morality for government not the other way around.

I knew I’d get a rebuke, to be honest I can see your point but, I hope you can see mine too.
    Of course the government has to set rules, who wants to live in a world without law? Common sense should be enough to see people safely across the road, unfortunately that's not the case with drugs as often people don't know about mental health issues.
  • Options
    I would be very disappointed that they chose to do things that I have

And I will do my best to educate them on the dangers and pitfalls of doing such things

However I will also be able to use my experiences to spot the signs and hopefully spot them early

Great question though pal
  • Options
    How do we know that we're not in a K-hole at the moment you are all part of my imagination and I'm only writing this message as a result of this?

Maybe I'm in a K-hole right now and thinking that I'm actually doing things but really I'm in a K-hole and have been for 20 years and I could wake up at any minute!?
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

How do we know that we're not in a K-hole at the moment you are all part of my imagination and I'm only writing this message as a result of this?

Maybe I'm in a K-hole right now and thinking that I'm actually doing things but really I'm in a K-hole and have been for 20 years and I could wake up at any minute!?

U been out pal
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Anything to explain the Ugg boots eh
  • Options
    Been to see Rick Ross lately? I can't wait for Mark to pull out that video of you at Bio Hazard, lol.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Poplcon, what is an OT ? (Occupational therapy is the assessment and treatment of physical and psychiatric conditions).
    Also, what is their opinion on smoking cannabis ?

Yes, she's an occupational therapist, it's her job to get these people ready for society.
    A large percentage of the people in the centre have suffered mental health issues due to the usage of cannabis, particularly super strengths, such as skunk.

One mental health problem is schizophrenia, which is very serious and has been connected to the use of cannabis.
    Other mental health issues that can onset due to the drug are, depression (which is very, very common), hallucinations, paranoia, anxiety, as well as panic attacks and other psychotic disease.
    I'm not an expert on mental health, but there is loads of info available online.
    Plenty of people suffer from these problems without ever touching cannabis in their life. In my life (from about the age of 15) I've smoked A LOT of cannabis and have never suffered any of the conditions you state, is it not possible the person is the problem, not the cannabis? Maybe if someone has a problem smoking can make it worse but to group everyone together is quite wrong.

Also there is no known cause for schizophrenia.

Also, legalisation and taxation if cannabis would almost certainly solve the credit crunch, just look at California for an example. "How weed won the west" is a great documentory showing how cannabis has totally turned the state around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

this was my exact thought process around 4am sunday morning
  • Options

Plaaayer said:

this was my exact thought process around 4am sunday morning
    Should this logical conundrum have a butterfly in it and not a 'k-hole'? Whatever floats you boat :D
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Loco said:

PopIcon said:

Loco said:

I find it amazing that these drugs are banned with so little actual evidence that they do harm. A much quoted reference is that 'E' is safer than aspirin and yet is a class A drug, it's just that sort of inconsistency that leads youngsters to disbelieve advice on drugs. In fact I remember that the whole drugs advisory board resigned a few years ago over just such a issue.

I think it is far overdue for government to de-politicise drug taking and take a more mature approach, I don’t think it is sensible for a government to try to to be my parent. Why don’t they just draft loose legislation around which experts could make the decisions on the bases of the most harm and declassify the harmless? What is it with politicians moralising and telling citizens how to run their lives!

*stands back and awaits rebuke*

Define safe, if you mean that certain drugs won't kill you directly then does that make them safe?
    I have a good friend who is an OT, she works in a mental health unit. Most of the people who are there suffer from psychosis issues brought on as a result of taking drugs. Their lives will never be the same again, and many of them are dangerous.
    The thing is lots of people are predisposed to these things and there is no way of knowing the outcome, I kid you not there are kids who have become damaged after only one spliff, very sad stuff.
    I never used the word safe, I said safer.

Is crossing the road safe? I'm sure someone on here will know someone that treats and rehabilitates people involved in road traffic accidents, will the government prevent us from crossing the road? Will we still be able to drive cars? The fact is that people die from aspirin and that is still widely available over the counter "I kid you not", will the government ban that too? Life is full of risks but we have to live it, you cont hide from risk it's all around us.

But, you miss the point and that is; it is not the governments place to wrap us in cotton wool, I am a free man and I'll decide what I risk not you them or anyone else. We provide the morality for government not the other way around.

I knew I’d get a rebuke, to be honest I can see your point but, I hope you can see mine too.
    Of course the government has to set rules, who wants to live in a world without law? Common sense should be enough to see people safely across the road, unfortunately that's not the case with drugs as often people don't know about mental health issues.
    I never suggested a world without laws, or even drugs without laws, in fact if you read the above again you’ll see that I suggested loose legislation that would allow experts to categorise substances based on scientific facts and not quasi political morality. Perhaps you are unaware that when the drug in question (E) was banned there was no scientific evidence of any sort available, it was in short banned for moral reasons. Since then ‘E’ has been found to be one of the safest of recreational drugs and at the risk of repeating myself safer than aspirin (according to expert analysis).

Your argument has been one of public safety, clearly common sense is not prevailing when people are crossing roads because lots of people die and are injured as a result of performing that very act. Your argument says that everything that is dangerous to us is banned by our government, or perhaps just those things that are dangerous and you don’t agree with! In either case the risk that is taken is an individual one and should remain so, that risk is totally outwith the remit of government which is why our current drugs policy is failing so abjectly.

There are people who are at risk of psychological damage from certain drugs, we would be better served if that risk were assessed by experts and not politicians and the tabloid press.