Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn Post-Match News & Views 2012

Comments

• Options
    Played well so nothing negative to say. We need more points on the board and there have been a few draws we've failed to convert into 3 points. Hope they don't haunt us later on.

Also, be great if we can get a good calibre striker on loan.
  • Options
    Cheers MOG...decent report from The Wharf.
  • Options
    I thought their goal was offside from my seat in the east stand but looking at replay on telly I don't think it was. Having looked at the you tube clip of the Over the line Incident after about ten watches I think it was probably over but I can't see how the ref could possibly give it from where he was and I doubt the lino could see it either.
  • Options
    Before the game I thought we would be in for a tough day, especially when I heard Fuller was not available.

When we passed the ball on the ground we were too much for Blackburn, thought their centre mids were slow and there to be over run in the second half when they were tired. Went through a period in the first half of long ball which was pointless.

Thought their goal was soft, like someone said earlier a natural left back would have done better i think. Not knocking Solly who was excellent.

Liked Kerkar, think he just needs more games to get upto speed. Looks like the kind of winger we need, also his corners were excellent. Think him and Green offer the threatening delivery that Yann would lap up, shame he is injured.

If i was a Blackburn fan i'd continue to worried.

Was happy with a point but annoyed we didn't get all 3, don't remember Hamer making a save.
  • Options
    I expected more from Blackburn and i can see why their fans are so frustrated now. The amount of arguing amongst their own players everytime we went on the attack was almost laughable, not a happy camp considering where they were before kick-off. If they are true contenders for this league then there is hope for us yet.

We played brilliantly in my opinion. I thought a 5 man midfield would be too defensive, however it was completely the opposite. I thought we were excellent in attack and looked dangerous, defended well and should have won. Had we lost it I would have been extremely gutted because we deserved to win. A draw though against one of the favourites is a great result. Some poor refereeing decisions when he should have played advantage. I thought the ref protected Blackburn a lot, but thats to be expected against a former Prem team.

Looking forward to Tuesday.
  • Options
    Nice report OzAddick.
    Yep, crowd were in good form.
  • Options
    Agree with much of what is already posted. Great to see the lads playing the ball around on the deck and finding space to go through the opposition rather than trying to lump it over them. It certainly led to an improved quality of performance. Agree that BWP did well but he is not a natural lone front man and I think the 4-5-1 formation with Fuller up top will be a potent tactic away from home and against the leading sides at home if necessary. It is important that the team do not see Fuller as a big target man and resume the lumping it up approach - he would be much better fed on the ground, using his strength and skill to hold it up for midfielders breaking forward. I can also see Kermo playing just behind Fuller in a 4-4-1-1 formation to good effect.

Apart from Wilson, Morro, Solly, Green (also my mom, simply superb) and Kerkar - a special mention goes to Dale Stephens. I thought he was also outstanding in midfield, adding a bite in the challenge to his undoubted skill on the ball. I could certainly see why Villa were interested.

Like others, I feared the worst when I saw that Fuller wasn't warming up before the game but it was a very good performance. We will play worse than that and get all 3 points another day.
  • Options
    The comments on one of their forums are very positive for us. Usually fans have a blinkered view(including us)of their own team but they are being honest about things.

http://www.roverstalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4604
  • Options
    Thank goodness for the Football league show!

I thought at the time that Hollands hit the rocket for our goal what I couldn't detect from Covered End Upper was that it hit Jackson in the mush before going in!

I bet that hurt!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

*Awaits predictable this is football go to the opera jibes*

Too late Len if you see the other thread. I'll save you a seat...
    A box would be good.

We can be like the two old gits off The Muppets

:-)
  • Options
    Disappointed not to have won, but having gone a goal down, pleased to have got something. Good to see us making chances on another day we could have scored a few but a combination of bad luck and Paul Robinson kept our score down. Midfield looked very good today. Kerkar looked quality, but I was most impressed with Green. Not just for his attacking play but also for the way he covered the full back position allowing Wilson to get forward on occasions.
  • Options
    Paul Robinson was a couple off feet off the line in order to save the pen.
  • Options

Paul Robinson was a couple off feet off the line in order to save the pen.

Not unusual, I recall Deano being practically on the penalty spot when saving from Andy Johnson in the Rommedahl last minute match.

• Options
    should of won the game no doubt. many good performances from charlton. we play like that on tues and we win by at least 3. blackburn goal was really good and had me worried that we might be in trouble but this team seems to have more confidence compared to that dark friday just over 2 weeks ago and are now showing they're made of sterner stuff. not only did we respond to conceding but we responded to a penalty miss which can be even more discouraging. well happy.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Good result although Jackson's 100% record from the penalty spot is now over :(

Thats at least the third penalty missed for us in all competitions

He missed in two penalty shootouts against Brentford in the JPT and this season against Leyton Orient in the Carling Cup so for me they don't count as actual match penalties, so he did have 100% record before Robinson saved it, shame for him.

• Options
    Excellent performance which on another day would have resulted in a comfortable win.

I really don't get this thing that some on here seem to have with yesterday's ref, Deadman. I accept he could have played the advantage on a couple of occasions, but generally I thought he controlled the game very well and didn't keep blowing up for nothing challenges like most seem to do. It's not the first time I've been impressed by his officiating either. Compare him with the clown who did the Palace game - now he really was shite.

Difficult to fault anyone in the team and the question now is, do we keep the five man midfield that was forced on us.
    IMO it will be difficult to revert straight back to 4-4-2 after what we saw yesterday.
  • Options
    We seem to have no leftys now. Perhaps Evina's cameo was a signifier of a recall. CP didn't want him coming in on a run of defeats but we've steadied the ship. Is Razak a left footer? Could Harriott make bench? Struggled with imbalanced sides in past.
  • Options
    Isn't Hollands left footed?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We seem to have no leftys now. Perhaps Evina's cameo was a signifier of a recall. CP didn't want him coming in on a run of defeats but we've steadied the ship. Is Razak a left footer? Could Harriott make bench? Struggled with imbalanced sides in past.

Kerkar?
    Hollands?
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Good result although Jackson's 100% record from the penalty spot is now over :(

Thats at least the third penalty missed for us in all competitions

He missed in two penalty shootouts against Brentford in the JPT and this season against Leyton Orient in the Carling Cup so for me they don't count as actual match penalties, so he did have 100% record before Robinson saved it, shame for him.

And we weren't the first team to beat chelsea at stamford bridge under Mourinhio
  • Options
    Blackburn looked a team of individuals, some quality players but a lack of teamwork. A proper manager, and and a united team should see them near the top of the table.

But it's an unpredictable league, all the 'struggling' teams seemed to do well, I would never have expected Posh, brum and Watford to all win!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    not at the game but sounds promising and hopefully a sign of things to come rather than a flash in the pan performance
    a point is good but with the likes of peterboro and watford winning away we're gonna need to register a run of points if we're not gonna be involved in a relegation battle for the season
    hopefully tricky ricky will be back soon (for the right reasons) cos he will be a big miss if he's out for any length of time

0% top 6 ....... 12% 7th-12th ......70% 13th-21st .... 18% through the trapdoor
  • Options

Nice report OzAddick.
    Yep, crowd were in good form.

the fact that the team received rousing applause from the whole ground after the final whistle was great to hear, we all knew we should of won the game, yet we were all pleased with the performance and showed this, not frustration at 2 points lost. A real credit to our fans.
  • Options
    Good team performance, we were the better side. Before the game I said I'd have taken a draw, after the game disappointed we didn't win.

Thought we'd struggle without Fuller or Yann, but the 4-4-1-1 worked well. They may have made the difference, at times especially when putting crosses in we could have done with one of them in the box.

Wilson is settling in and was pleased to see both Stephens and Green having good games. Didn't look like they could play together last season, hopefully they're pushing on.

Wasn't impressed with Blackburn, nice move for the goal but didn't create much at all. Their fans must wonder why their "Premier League" players struggled against a team that was in League 1 last season. Bit like us after we came down into the Champ.

Murphy kept the ball but did little else, Stephens was better in a similar role for us.

Our weaknesses didn't show on Saturday but in other games they may be a problem. That's where Razak and a new striker/Fuller returning will hopefully make the difference.
  • Options
    We definitely deserved to win this one. Green and Stephens were excellent and gave Blackburn plenty of problems who apart from the slick move for their goal offered no threat at all (£8M for Rhodes seems an awful lot of money) but BWP looked a little isolated at times that said it was a cracking overhead at the end forcing a save from Robinson. By the way we sit behind the goal in the North and form where we are ther ball crossed the line for the "not given" goal so we need that technology introduced now!
    Thought the defence was solid again big Leon and MM were excellent as were Solly and Wilson. All in all I came away thinking our football is better than our league positon suggest bearing in mind we have had good goals disallowed against both Hull and Palace.
  • Options
    Only seen the "penalty" once on telly was it for a push on Leon ?? Looked a very soft penalty I thought , maybe a rare decision that went our way !
  • Options
    Before the game was worried we would lose, when King Fuller wasn't on the team sheet was worried we would get spanked. For 5pm to come round and me be annoyed that we only took the one point showed how well we played. Going to be a bit negative and say we need to start winning games when were the better team though. However overall great performance from the boys, Kerkar does impress me and Green is looking better every game.
    Role on Udinese B team (Watford)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Thought is was a good game, our cobbled together team looked nervous in the first 15, but then we realised that we can beat them we settled down.
    I thought the back played really well. Solly was outstanding, Morro and Cort had the beating of Rhodes. Special mention to Wilson, best game i've seen him have for us, I'm really pleased he is improving.
    5 in midfield was the only option open to Powell, and first 15 aside we didnt let them have much, again really pleased for Green, he appears to have decided to swim instead of sink, looked dangerous all game, hit the post, and had a viscous shot well saved by Robinson. Kerker got more into it in the second half and his confidence grew. BWP was excellent, up front on your own is a thankless task, both CBs were much bigger and he worked his socks off.

Only negative for me, Hamer continues to launch the ball forward, BWP tried but he wasnt gonna win many headers against the Blackburn CB's. Our Fullbacks and defensive midfielder need to drop to give Hamer options, we can play very good football you know!

Finally Blackburn were very poor, but I say we made them look poor by having the 5 in midfield. Murphy didnt look interested, he was strolling around most of the game. I cant see them getting promoted on that display.

We just need a bit of luck, which has so far eluded us. I am very happy for the rest of the season, mid table will do for me. Lets see what happens when we get back to full strength and also interested to see how good the Citeh lad is going to be.

Looking forward to Tuesday.

COYR