Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn Post-Match News & Views 2012

1235»

Comments

• Options
    My first game this season was against Palace - worried we were relegation fodder after that but the win at Ipswich and Saturdays performance has restored my confidence. We definitely had the better of it against Blackburn and Stephens and Green seem better suited to this division. If Fuller had played i think we'd have won it.Shame Kermo and Wiggins are injured and Haynes never seems fit. Like Kerkar and overall i think we will be okay this year for a bit of consolidation.
  • Options
    Came away really positive having really enjoyed the game. Hindsight view now though is that it was clearly two points dropped against a team clearly going through issues and were simply going through the motions.

Defensively i thought we looked very sound. Wilson is growing game by game, and the two centre halves exceptional. Cort in particular i found to be faultless. Whether they were helped by the extra man in midfield, i'm not sure, but i can't remember a game where our two centre halves looked more in command.

When playing an isolated striker, one of two things have to happen, you either have 1 or 2 centre mids really pushing on trying to get behind the striker and pulling their defence, or you've got to have quality, controlled wide play allowing the rest of the midfield to push on, and then quality into the box. Thought we did the later very well indeed, Green in particular made an excellent game and Kerkar grew as the game went on.

The midfield three were solid and sound, but it wasn't until Pritchard come on that we had some legs pushing on and he did a great job in trying to stretch their centre halves wide, thought he gave us a real energy.

BWP is not a lone striker and i really felt for him after the late change, and thought he worked tirelessly. However, you need a striker to take half chances and the ball dropped nicely and had a swivel and swing in extra time (just before the overhead), that he fluffed and there the moments you need your main striker to make something of. In fairness, he was probably fatigued by then.

So overall, an encouraging performance but an opportunity lost, and should have been a clear victory with a bit more luck and decisiveness.
  • Options
    thought we did very well, kekar and green putting countless balls into the box if we had yann or ricky we'd have got a couple as delivery from both sides was top draw, think both of them can hope the crosses keep coming for when they come back.
  • Options
    I don't know how some could judge that other results went against us- when surely we can't yet know what other teams we are competing against. I thought the other results were postive as they confirmed my belief that everybody can beat everybody and there are no stand out sides in the division. We win a couple of games and we are looking at the top - we lose a couple at the bottom.

Having said that, 2 points lost because we were so much better than them - but the season is long and it is encouraging to see us compete so well against one of the fancied sides. With a couple of decent loan signings - we might need to start re-apraising our season positively soon.
  • Options
    Highlights for those interested, much better than the FLS: http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,23762_8130391,00.html
  • Options

Highlights for those interested, much better than the FLS: http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,23762_8130391,00.html

Thanks A4L - more I see, the more I feel we were unlucky not to win.

• Options
    Can't understand why Green's shot that nearly put Robinson in the back of the net is not in the hi lights, the way the ball turned in the air he only just managed to punch it out
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Can't understand why Green's shot that nearly put Robinson in the back of the net is not in the hi lights, the way the ball turned in the air he only just managed to punch it out

It's on the player highlights but the Morro/BWP chance isn't. Strange

• Options

Totally agree Mike, from my angle that ball moved all over the place, a great save.

Also the contentious issue of whether the ball was over the line should be on the highlights as well.
  • Options
    'Kean claimed he did not have a dog (but had a packet of dog food positioned behind him'.

That is awful. Should have been sentenced to life imprisonment.