Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would you fight off an intruder?

Comments

• At the end of the day it's the flight or fight instinct that would kick in. However if someone threatened my family I think the red mist really would come down.

A great story was told by Mike Dickin (RIP) on TalkSport a few years ago when he reported a burglary at his house. He rang Plod who promptly told him that they didn't have enough resources at the time and that he had to wait. 'No problem' said Mike, ''the burglar's not going anywhere as I shot him and locked him in my shed'. Cue the entire force with guns descending minutes later on Mike's house but with no sign of the burglar. On asking where he was Mike turned round and said 'no idea, probably miles away'. 'But you said you shot him!' said the copper. 'Yes, and you said you had no one to investigate', says Mike. 'But, seeing as you're here.....'
  • At the end of the day it's the flight or fight instinct that would kick in. However if someone threatened my family I think the red mist really would come down.

A great story was told by Mike Dickin (RIP) on TalkSport a few years ago when he reported a burglary at his house. He rang Plod who promptly told him that they didn't have enough resources at the time and that he had to wait. 'No problem' said Mike, ''the burglar's not going anywhere as I shot him and locked him in my shed'. Cue the entire force with guns descending minutes later on Mike's house but with no sign of the burglar. On asking where he was Mike turned round and said 'no idea, probably miles away'. 'But you said you shot him!' said the copper. 'Yes, and you said you had no one to investigate', says Mike. 'But, seeing as you're here.....'

That story has been told so many times by so many people that I suspect it's an urban myth.
  • What is it with all you guys having baseball bats? This is Britain - I've got a cricket bat (seriously!). I suppose, with the new rules it doesn't matter, but I was always worried that if I used a baseball bat and admitted to the police that the only reason I kept it was to batter thieves they'd take a dim view of it, whereas I could tell them the cricket bat just happened to be in my bedroom because I used to play.

Difficult to know what you'd do until it happens, but I am a natural coward.
  • Anyone breaks into my gaff then as has been said,their humans rights are left at the front door,baseball bat under my bed will be put to full use then when they are rendered unconscious i will place a knife in their immediate vicinity.."he came at me with a knife Mr Officer,i had to batter him"....They are scum and will be treated as such!
  • edited October 2012
    Rizzo said:

At the end of the day it's the flight or fight instinct that would kick in. However if someone threatened my family I think the red mist really would come down.

That story has been told so many times by so many people that I suspect it's an urban myth.

Yeah but I might try it one day - and I don't even have a shed!

• I think everyone would have a go but the reality is most of you would either been slain or hurt more than the burglar hence why so many of this filth get done for aggravated burglarly .
  • I have a couple of the old railway bardic lamp which are very handy and my 3lb cricket bat.Plus the Mrs,bring them on!!!
  • I'm nearer 70 than 60 and as thin as a rake after recent illness, so no I wouldnt 'ave a go' but...my dog would. He's a lovely mutt but dont mess with a Dingo.
  • I'd go down stairs, search one of umpteen places where the wife has "tidied up" the pepper spray (we carry for bear protection in these parts), offer the burglar a coffee (filter or espresso his/her choice), find the bear spray, fiddle with the catch (probably google it in the end) & then spray the b@stard!
  • Oakster said:

I'd go down stairs, search one of umpteen places where the wife has "tidied up" the pepper spray (we carry for bear protection in these parts), offer the burglar a coffee (filter or espresso his/her choice), find the bear spray, fiddle with the catch (probably google it in the end) & then spray the b@stard!

Surely the rules of hospitality prevent you from attacking someone after offering them coffee?
  • Sponsored links:

• Well if they were coming fo the family no question but if all they want is my tele and Sky box I would just make a bucket of noise and watch them leg it possessions are not worth dying for and that can happen.

By the way most burglars want out as quick as possible once they are found but how do you know you are not confronting the neighbourhood psycho who wants confrontation and is ready an waiting with a knife just for that to happen? Easy to be brave on a web site like this another thing to actually face it.
  • Hell yeah

i have can of lynx and a lighter by the bed side cabinet

a telescopic coish behind the bed in easy reach

a nice Hurly by the front door

game on in my books

Absolutely agree.
  • MrOneLung said:

Ive got my black wilson baseball bat leaning against my bed at all times for this exact reason. shouldnt even be a question. i work hard for my stuff and will enjoy laying into anyone that looks to damage or steal it.

Baseball bat too choreographed to be effective, and useless if on narrow stairs.
    Nail guns - they are more portable and scare the bejesus out of someone staring one of them pointing at their face.
    Yeh but the look of a bat always strikes fear (that and my beer belly bouncin' down the stairs) if we're talking about effectiveness then a kitchen knife to the face can't be beat... But that's a different thing all together
  • smiffyboy said:

Without a shadow of a doubt, my house is my castle and contains my wife and children, you enter it, your gonna pay for it, got a couple of items waiting for em, would not think twice about using.

I don't care what any do gooders got to say don't enter my house and you won't get hurt, end of.

Good post Smiffy.

Ignore the do gooders and eradicate the scum.

When you hear of some of the appalling violent burglaries especially where OAPs are severely injured I often think Tony Martin shouldn't have received a prison sentence he should have received a Knighthood.

I really can't understand the idiots whose chose to protect the burglar over the victim
  • Rizzo said:

At the end of the day it's the flight or fight instinct that would kick in. However if someone threatened my family I think the red mist really would come down.

That story used to be in a frame on the bog wall in the Jenny Lind PH...old town Hastings.....it was about a guy in the U.S.A.

Someone shared this on my Facebook wall a year or so ago.
    gg.jpg 42.6K
  • I keep one of these by the side of the bed and a smaller one by the stairs. They are both loaded and ready.image
  • edited October 2012
    Either that or your zimmer would definitely ward them off mate!

A rough intruders-eye view when entering Chateau Big Rob ; )
    cap.jpg 26.4K
  • Sponsored links:

• Plaaayer said:

Either that or your zimmer would definitely ward them off mate!

I can see a chinese burn heading someones way ; )

• I also don't think any jury in this land would find a man guilty of assault/murder for defending is home against burglars, as I for one would never regardless of what he had done to them.
  • The point is - if you beat somebody up when you don't need to you will still get done. If you shoot somebody you will still get done- It doesn't really change anything but play to the galleries. The people who have gone to court usually kill somebody or shoot them!
  • To be honest, I wouldn't care what the law said, if someone was in my house and me missus or belongings were at risk, I go all out to defend them.
  • I once had my hotel room done over in Poland when I was in it! Employed the excellent tactic of kipping right through the incident. God knows what would have happened if I'd woken up, I was absolutely hammered so probably not best placed for rational decision-making.
  • BIG_ROB said:

A rough intruders-eye view when entering Chateau Big Rob ; )

Now you're talking...

• BIG_ROB said:

To be honest, I wouldn't care what the law said, if someone was in my house and me missus or belongings were at risk, I go all out to defend them.

I completely understand wading in to protect your wife, but the papers regularly carry stories of innocent people killed while trying to defend something with little or no value.
  • Can't beat a dog in these situations. Anyone visiting my house by an invatation gets the friendliest welcome from her, but try to get in uninvited and we're talking a different scenario altogther. And if she hasn't already eaten them by the time i get downstairs then it's my turn...............................
  • We use to have a Doberman, no one would walk on the Same side of the road as us let alone try and get in the house with that beast going crazy!
  • edited October 2012
    Depends if I was actually cornered to be fair, who else was in the house and so on.