Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

American President election 2012

1789101113»

Comments

• Options

@collegeparkaddick

That's a superb post, I heard Joe Scarbrough talk about Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly et al as being essentially "niche marketers" and being extremely successful at it by getting the hardcore conservative base to watch Fox News, listen to Talk Radio, buy books/magazines etc - but in doing so they have driven their party into a ditch.

How can the party of someone like Nixon, the ultimate pragmatist-realist conservative, now be in the business of denying climate change and insisting you can actually physically deport 13 million illegals? How does this even happen?

The Republicans needs to find their Bill Clinton, and fast.

Agreed, the right wing media have destroyed the party they've overzealously supported.
  • Options

How exactly is that "exploitation at its worst, creating racial division and tension at its worst"? What is he supposed to do? Stick his head up his arse and pretend that nothing happened? Yes, that's showing real leadership.

You want to talk about people whipping up racial tension? How about Romney's campaign co-chair John Sununu telling people he wished that Obama "would learn how to be an American" and later in the campaign saying on live TV that Colin Powell had supported Obama because he was black.

Yes, that's right, this arse clown actually claimed that Retd. General Powell, a moderate Republican and one of the most respected people in American public life, actually makes his political choices based on skin colour. Jesus wept.

As Powell's former deputy, Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson - another moderate Republican who served in the Bush I administration, later said.....

"'Let me just be candid: My Party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White house has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything do with the color of his skin, and that's despicable."

I do agree of course that the other party is full of racists but that cant excuse that obama is too. You don't have to like it but it creates racial division and tension. As for Trayvon Martin, while I didnt word it correctly he did politicise the case for political gain. He should have let the appropriate policing dept deal with it. Instead he played a race card for gain. Its exploitation for political gain bagged and tagged. As the leader of the free world he shouldnt be getting invovled in murder cases. You dont pretend it didn't happen, you let the appropriate dept deal with it. NOT highlighting it and not creating racial tension is what a great leader is about.:))

• Options

As OA walks through extensively above, there are serious issues regarding dealing with race in America that my political party has to address or its opportunity to govern will be limited. People within the party and people who promote themselves as spokespersons of conservatives concocted, from whole cloth, controversy regarding the President's statement regarding the death of Trayvon Martin, just as they've whipped up false outrage about inviting Common to the White House or the terrible menace of the New Black Panther Party. These rhetorical flourishes and outright falsehoods get viewers, sell books, and elicit honorariums, but they offend significant portions of the electorate.

Perhaps more importantly, they have eviscerated the achievements of the party to practice what it preaches -- establish and promote a meritocratic system by which there are no limits to achievement because of identity. Ethnic minorities have reached high-level positions within the Republican party based on their merits; whatever may be said of Colin Powell he has been and remains a member of the Republican party. When he accepted the appointment as Secretary of State under Bush II, his first press conference waxed extensively and eloquently on what that appointment meant for African-Americans.

My point above is that demographics is not necessarily destiny in American politics. The Republican party can recover voter approval amongst minority groups in the near term, but it cannot do so if charlatans are allowed to spew garbage without being challenged and called to account.

I imagine BaronPaolo prides himself on being an independent thinker and too savvy to be bamboozled by corrupt politicians -- that would seem to preclude repeating the syphilitic rantings of hucksters bent on sowing discord for dollars.

Beautifully scribed but over conditioned.:))

• Options

How exactly is that "exploitation at its worst, creating racial division and tension at its worst"? What is he supposed to do? Stick his head up his arse and pretend that nothing happened? Yes, that's showing real leadership.

You want to talk about people whipping up racial tension? How about Romney's campaign co-chair John Sununu telling people he wished that Obama "would learn how to be an American" and later in the campaign saying on live TV that Colin Powell had supported Obama because he was black.

Yes, that's right, this arse clown actually claimed that Retd. General Powell, a moderate Republican and one of the most respected people in American public life, actually makes his political choices based on skin colour. Jesus wept.

As Powell's former deputy, Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson - another moderate Republican who served in the Bush I administration, later said.....

"'Let me just be candid: My Party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White house has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything do with the color of his skin, and that's despicable."

I do agree of course that the other party is full of racists but that cant excuse that obama is too. You don't have to like it but it creates racial division and tension. As for Trayvon Martin, while I didnt word it correctly he did politicise the case for political gain. He should have let the appropriate policing dept deal with it. Instead he played a race card for gain. Its exploitation for political gain bagged and tagged. As the leader of the free world he shouldnt be getting invovled in murder cases. You dont pretend it didn't happen, you let the appropriate dept deal with it. NOT highlighting it and not creating racial tension is what a great leader is about.:))

Sorry, but you are going to have to do more than throw accusations about before you can seriously claim that Obama exploited the murder of Trayvon Martin for political gain, that's an extremely serious accusation you are making there.

Are you really saying that by simply talking about the case and saying that he is going to take it seriously and make sure they get to the bottom of what had happened - remembering this was a very unusual case - that he is seeing to sow racial division and gain political currency? How is that possible?

So, if an Islamic planted bomb goes off in London tomorrow and David Cameron pledges to bring the culprits to justice, is he also playing politics and sowing racial division or is he simply doing his job as the leader of the country?

The Trayvon Martin case dominated the US news for several weeks, Obama answered questions on it but did not do what the Bush people did with the Terri Schiavo euthanasia case which they put front and centre and squeezed out every bit of political juice they could.
  • Options
    , Obama answered questions on it but did not do what the Bush people did with the Terri Schiavo euthanasia case which they put front and centre and squeezed out every bit of political juice they could.

Oh look , the Republicans do it!! Sweet. They all do it. Playing politics is what politicians are good at. They take opportunities.They exploit. Of course they do as you rightly pointed out above. Its just unfortunate that the public get stirred up by what politicians say,perhaps the division isnt intentional but while society is trying to unite different peoples, these things can cause setbacks in racial harmony. I wouldve thought youd agree on that. AS for the bomb scenario in London , one would assume it to be politically motivated and rightfully the politicians should step forward. But not in non political murder cases imo.
  • Options
    admit it FFS

Obama very nice black man =good
    any old white man =bad

your racism is so obvious---typical of the left.
  • Options

admit it FFS

Obama very nice black man =good
    any old white man =bad

your racism is so obvious---typical of the left.

Obama has gone to great lengths to avoid any racial issues in either election - something the right have not shied away from. In this campaign Ann Romney referred to Obama as that "boy" and Sarah Palin accused him of "shucking and jiving" and there were several other ham fisted attempts at creating a racial divide.

• Options
    http://davidsimon.com/inevitabilities-and-barack-obama/

"Change is a motherfucker when you run from it. And right now, the conservative movement in America is fleeing from dramatic change that is certain and immutable. A man of color is president for the second time, and this happened despite a struggling economic climate and a national spirit of general discontent. He has been returned to office over the specific objections of the mass of white men. He has instead been re-elected by women, by people of color, by homosexuals, by people of varying religions or no religion whatsoever. Behold the New Jerusalem. Not that there’s anything wrong with being a white man, of course. There’s nothing wrong with being anything. That’s the point.

This election marks a moment in which the racial and social hierarchy of America is upended forever. No longer will it mean more politically to be a white male than to be anything else. Evolve, or don’t. Swallow your resentments, or don’t. But the votes are going to be counted, more of them with each election. Arizona will soon be in play. And in a few cycles, even Texas. And those wishing to hold national office in these United States will find it increasingly useless to argue for normal, to attempt to play one minority against the next, to turn pluralities against the feared “other” of gays, or blacks, or immigrants, or, incredibly in this election cycle, our very wives and lovers and daughters, fellow citizens who demand to control their own bodies,"