Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Slater's Unhappy Valley" - Daily Mail piece

Comments

• Options
    razil said:

Rct how would you know most are happy? Done a survey?

:)

In my post Razil I said the Charlton fans I know. Most if not all of them are more than happy with what the board have done since taking over, including myself.

When an article appears in a national sunday paper claiming Charlton fans are delighted/ ecstatic/ orgasmic (or whatever the polar opposite of exasperated may be) with their Chairmanship then I'll be out there in my cagool with my clip board canvassing opinion outside Bartrams ;-)
  • Options
    You still seem to be claiming that CL is unrepresentative, and that people you know are. At the same time I think I get your point.

Perhaps someone should do a survey of the fans..

:)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    The point i was making was that I dont think this website or any website is representative enough of the charlton fanbase to warrant the opening sentence of the article which implies that it is not just "SOME" charlton fans are exasperated as a story in a national rag.

I and my charlton mates might well be in the minority of Charlton supporters in being happy with the board and what they have done up to this point but it is difficult to gauge that.

CL is representative of a small minority of fans who post their opinions on it but no more representative of the Charlton fanbase than any website can be when such a small proportion of the wider fanbase do so. And even then whilst the majority opinion on here is probably negative (or perhaps merely cautiously cynical) towards the board there is still those of us who have a positive outlook on them.

To be honest I reckon the average football fan will be happy with their club, the board and the management, whichever that club may be if they do well on the pitch and are being successful and winning and it is when the results are going against you that it's when the finger pointing becomes most prominent.

If the debates and questionning and criticism that's been going on on here the past few months happened a year ago and then we went on to walk the league as we did I imagine it would have all been forgotten, or at least not as prominent, by the time the red devils dropped in with the matchball in front of a sell out crowd including a gaggle of northern smurfs.

• Options
    I'd be more worried about the comment regarding the shelvey money. Would like to know the source as it goes against the club response given to the newshopper.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ozaddick said:

Nice post RCT.

fans read and hear information in different ways but the internet has changed things to the extent that main stream papers print message board statements as fact... we have been spoilt over the last 20 years with a board that communicated and even had a supporters director at one point.

We are now back to square one on this front and the fans who care need to organise and focus their voice...via this newly formed trust I hear about... I am sure it will address how to canvas the views of supporters not glued to keyboards... in fact that's the only way it can succeed but that doesn't mean it should ignore modern technology as a way to hear views and communicate with the club and others...
  • Options
    if money is so tight we have accepted lower add-ons re Jonjo then I'd have rather we hadn't wasted a significant salary on Fuller.
  • Options

if money is so tight we have accepted lower add-ons re Jonjo then I'd have rather we hadn't wasted a significant salary on Fuller.

I'm guessing that the timings would have been different.
  • Options
    I'd have rather we sold Stephens.
  • Options

I'm guessing that the timings would have been different.
    Possibly but accepted before, or after, it's still going towards Fullers significant salary.

• Options

I'd agree but depending on what fee was offered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I understand from someone involved in the exchanges re Stephens on deadline day (but outside the club) that Prothero had got Villa up from £600k to £1.5m at 6pm and that they would have paid £2m, but TJ insisted on taking over and asking for more than that (£4m allegedly, but I believe he would have accepted £2.5m) on the basis that time was running out and Villa wouldn't sign Westwood. Villa were desperate to do the deal, but couldn't get it done. Chris Powell was resigned to losing Dale and had three players lined up ready to come in, which he felt would rebalance his squad.
  • Options
    Thanks for that info, Airman.

Certainly helps us to understand the situation.
  • Options

I understand from someone involved in the exchanges re Stephens on deadline day (but outside the club) that Prothero had got Villa up from £600k to £1.5m at 6pm and that they would have paid £2m, but TJ insisted on taking over and asking for more than that (£4m allegedly, but I believe he would have accepted £2.5m) on the basis that time was running out and Villa wouldn't sign Westwood. Villa were desperate to do the deal, but couldn't get it done. Chris Powell was resigned to losing Dale and had three players lined up ready to come in, which he felt would rebalance his squad.

That paragraph in itself shows how this club is being poorly managed from the top. Unbelievable.
  • Options

Facts at last!!!

.....I think?

• Options

That paragraph in itself shows how this club is being poorly managed from the top. Unbelievable.
    Or as I read it more "someone told me" stuff speculation.

OK even taking the above at face value for a moment it shows that the board tried to get a much better price for a player that was integral to promotion and success and the manager's plans doesnt it? Surely if it read the opposite that Villa were prepared to pay £2m which powell was happy with but TJ said no give us 500k then that would be being poorly managed from the top.

So we've kept a good player because the board who bought him thought the offer wasnt good enough and now they're managing the club poorly? I dont get it.
  • Options
    tony jimenez is only interested in making a profit for himself and not taking the club forward. Seriously doubting the boards intentions
  • Options

tony jimenez is only interested in making a profit for himself and not taking the club forward. Seriously doubting the boards intentions

Do remind me which league we were playing in last season?

• Options
    I would have bitten Villa's hand off at £2m !!!!!
  • Options
    But RCT, Stephens isn't even worth 1m let alone 4m!!!! If Powell could have got 3 players in to rebalance the squad, what an opportunity missed. Could mean relegation as a result
  • Options

But RCT, Stephens isn't even worth 1m let alone 4m!!!! If Powell could have got 3 players in to rebalance the squad, what an opportunity missed. Could mean relegation as a result

The paragraph stated CP was resigned to losing Stephens. If it was a case that CP was happy to see him go or actively looking to sell as he wasnt in his plans or he wanted the funds from the sale a'la Jenkinson to strengthen the squad and the board scuppered it then I'd maybe agree but I didnt read anything in that to say this was the case.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair enough RCT
  • Options

I'd agree but depending on what fee was offered.
    CP did say at the Ashford meet that Villa had offered close to our valuation but the board said no. He didn't mention how much.

• Options
    When you read this Tony (which you will) you'll suddenly realise what Lyndon Johnson's tent pissing quote really means.

LLL&BH
  • Options
    Stephens is worth what Villa are prepared to pay... they or someone else will come back sniffing in the Jan window... its ironic how people are saying take the money, forgetting how poor we were without
    Sure we might have signed replacements but I'm not for returning to revolving door rubbish under Pardew
  • Options
    I heard something similar from the training ground, Villa called jimenez bluff and made him lok a Charlie, and confirmed we did do a deal Shelvey for early cash, if Slater says otherwise he's lying, no change their then!
  • Options
    I do salute RCT undying belief that nothing is wrong
  • Options

When you read this Tony (which you will) you'll suddenly realise what Lyndon Johnson's tent pissing quote really means.

LLL&BH

might be worth getting Airman Brown to a Bromley CAFC supporters meeting so we can hear all the juicy gossip now that he is free to tell us !!

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Interesting because at Ashford, in response to a question about Solly and Stephens, this was an issue that CP said made life difficult for managers to plan. Prices get agreed then at the last minute a club asks for more money. I hadn't understood that he was probably talking about us. No wonder at the time that CP said that Dale was very upset. It makes sense now.
  • Options
    as for the Powell had 3 lined up thing, heard that from multiple sources at the time.

Imagine if we had brought the depth the squad badly needs
  • Options
    Yes Dean Hammond was one