Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Killing wild animals in your garden!

I moved house a few months ago and used to live next door to an animal killer. I don't want to appear over dramatic, but my neighbour systematically killed anything that entered his garden. He works for Rentakil and had traps and bait boxes literally everywhere, even in the trees. I have witnessed his catching squirels, rats, foxes etc and when our beloved cat went missing in the spring of this year my wife was at the point of killing him (not joking). Our cat had never stayed out overnight and always stayed in the gardens close by so it was very odd when he left one evening and was never found. We put up posters, adverts, rewards RSPCA, cat sanctuarys etc but nothing. Losing her 10 year old cat was devastating for my wife following the passing of our daughter last november. Anyway we've moved house now thankfully but still his behaviour unnerves me.

Just wondered what others think about this kind of behaviour.image

Comments

• that squirrel is huge!
  • You dont live in Dippenhall do you?
  • that squirrel is huge!

and not very good at limbo dancing
  • No Sheffield. Why you weren't worried i have been taking pictures in your garden were you? Sorry not funny.

Just to add i contacted the RSPCA and they said 'nothing we can do as it is perfectly legal, just very offensive to some.'
  • Don't know why you'd make the effort to have a nice garden and then kill everything that comes into it.

Terrible about your cat, that guy sounds like a real psycho
  • Just taking his job home with him
  • Don't they say that serial killers start off with this sort of stuff.

Nothing wrong with rent-o-kill type outfits and pest control is unfortunately necessary and ok provided its done humanely. This on the other hand is apalling and I can't believe it's legal.
  • Sick bastard should be shot.
  • What a sicko, I hope he comes back as a squirrel in the next life. I'm amazed that this stuff is legal. We should be protecting our wildlife. Very sorry to hear about your daughter, sounds like you and your wife have had a hellish year.
  • Did you ever say anything to him?

whats in the box - poison??
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm far from being a keen gardener but i'd have thought a garden would look a lot nicer, calmer etc with a couple of squirrels running about than hanging dead from a tree
  • Why would you kill a squirrel anyway?
  • Because it started nibbling on your nuts?
  • I moved house a few months ago and used to live next door to an animal killer. I don't want to appear over dramatic, but my neighbour systematically killed anything that entered his garden. He works for Rentakil and had traps and bait boxes literally everywhere, even in the trees. I have witnessed his catching squirels, rats, foxes etc and when our beloved cat went missing in the spring of this year my wife was at the point of killing him (not joking). Our cat had never stayed out overnight and always stayed in the gardens close by so it was very odd when he left one evening and was never found. We put up posters, adverts, rewards RSPCA, cat sanctuarys etc but nothing. Losing her 10 year old cat was devastating for my wife following the passing of our daughter last november. Anyway we've moved house now thankfully but still his behaviour unnerves me.

Just wondered what others think about this kind of behaviour.image

The old Kania squirrel trap, used them many times. The thing is with the grey squirrel is that they are a non native species to the British Isles so it is illegal to live trap them and let them go elsewhere, not to mention in-humane.

Depending on what techniques the fella is using, he could be breaking the law.

The only way he would've caught your cat is with a live capture fox trap, in which case he should've released it as a non-target species unharmed. My guess is that your cat has eaten a poisoned rodent, thus suffering secondary toxication/poisoning. It shouldn't have been fatal, unless the cat has eaten a significant amount of dead mice. How long ago did your cat go missing? I'd suggest checking with all your local vets as a start.

• Plaaayer said:

Why would you kill a squirrel anyway?

They cause havoc in peoples out buildings and loft spaces. They're also driving out the native red squirrel, where they haven't done already....
  • Why should we prefer the reds over the greys?

I'm going to start up a Grey Squirrel Association.
  • WSS said:

Why should we prefer the reds over the greys?

I'm going to start up a Grey Squirrel Association.

That's seems unfair on red squirrels, perhaps there should be a red squirrel association or can they be represented by the grey squirrel association?
  • I saw a seagull kill a pigeon on High Holborn before. Right outside my office window.

Not only did the seagull kill it, it ate the whole thing. Brightened up an afternoon at least.
  • smiffy Your work colleague sounds unreal! Is that a true story?

I hope you threw him around hard and then put him in the bin.
  • WSS said:

I saw a seagull kill a pigeon on High Holborn before. Right outside my office window.

Not only did the seagull kill it, it ate the whole thing. Brightened up an afternoon at least.

Shouldn't that be Brightoned up an afternoon
  • Sponsored links:

• smiffyboy said:

Used to work with a fella who kept pigeons and used to kill any cat that came sniffing around them, which I thought was sick and argued on many occasions with him about it. One time he got great pleasure in telling someone else how he had killed this cat and it was in his wheelie bin and a day later was walking down his road when he see a kid about 15 sitting on a front wall looking sad. He asked what was wrong and he said his cat was missing, so he told him that if he was ill hes probably wondered off to die, but was telling this other fella how he was laughing inside as he'd killed it and it was in his bin, I proper lost it with him and threw him around abit, to see how he liked being upset.

What an evil, horrible man.

• Depending on what techniques the fella is using, he could be breaking the law.

The only way he would've caught your cat is with a live capture fox trap, in which case he should've released it as a non-target species unharmed. My guess is that your cat has eaten a poisoned rodent, thus suffering secondary toxication/poisoning. It shouldn't have been fatal, unless the cat has eaten a significant amount of dead mice. How long ago did your cat go missing? I'd suggest checking with all your local vets as a start.

I tried every possible place to find our cat, believe me. We put up around 30 posters with a picture and £100 reward over a 1 mile radius in the local shops, post offices, hairdressers, bus stops, even the local schools. We door-stepped every house for 100 metres also. The cat was chipped and tattoo'd so if he was found we'd have had him back.

The other traps in the neighbours garden at ground level were either rodent bait traps, like a flat green shoebox with a hole in the side. others looked like a post box cage, like you have on the inside of a door to catch the post and stop your dog eating it. There are 3 of these with a lift flap big enough for a cat to get in that once entered the animals catch get out. My other neighbour has seen him loading black sacks into his van. My guess is he doesn't put the dead animals in his own waste bin, instead choosing to dispose of them at work. I have found a dead adult fox at the end of our garden and dead rats with no obvious signs of injury. We back onto a public common/wooded area so of course the area has plenty of wildlife. My daughter's have seen these dead animals and it is very unpleasant.

The sad thing is his garden has empty food trays all over the place, like bait. This included empty tins of tuna/sardines etc. It's one thing to stop things coming in, it's another to entice things in then kill them.
  • edited October 2012

Depending on what techniques the fella is using, he could be breaking the law.

I tried every possible place to find our cat, believe me. We put up around 30 posters with a picture and £100 reward over a 1 mile radius in the local shops, post offices, hairdressers, bus stops, even the local schools. We door-stepped every house for 100 metres also. The cat was chipped and tattoo'd so if he was found we'd have had him back.

The other traps in the neighbours garden at ground level were either rodent bait traps, like a flat green shoebox with a hole in the side. others looked like a post box cage, like you have on the inside of a door to catch the post and stop your dog eating it. There are 3 of these with a lift flap big enough for a cat to get in that once entered the animals catch get out. My other neighbour has seen him loading black sacks into his van. My guess is he doesn't put the dead animals in his own waste bin, instead choosing to dispose of them at work. I have found a dead adult fox at the end of our garden and dead rats with no obvious signs of injury. We back onto a public common/wooded area so of course the area has plenty of wildlife. My daughter's have seen these dead animals and it is very unpleasant.

The sad thing is his garden has empty food trays all over the place, like bait. This included empty tins of tuna/sardines etc. It's one thing to stop things coming in, it's another to entice things in then kill them.

The large boxes are not traps, but tamper proof rat boxes. They hold bait and are used so people do not come into contact with the poison.

Sorry about your cat mate.
  • The man sounds like a wrong un, killing domestic animals is not on.

But on a side note, an ex girlfriends cat once caught a seagul, didn't kill it but removed its beak. I had to finish the poor thing off with a club hammer.
  • I cannot, nor will I ever understand how a human being could ever abuse or deliberately kill an animal. I have three cats who I totally adore and if ever anyone ever did anything to hurt them then rest assured that I would seek my own form of retribution. There must be something wrong with the people who carried out the above atrocities, some form of psycopathy. Jeffrey Dahmer was fascinated with killing and disecting animals and look how he turned out.
    We as human beings have a duty to protect other sentient beings but far too many people have the arrogance that because we've hit the top of the food chain we have the right to kill, maim, exploit and demean animals and to be honest it makes me f**king sick. Sometimes I think evolution should have stopped at the Great Apes.
  • Saw a stand off this morning on the way to the station. Squirrel v pigeon v massive crow. Squirrel didn't run to be fair. Crow looked game.
  • Boom said:

Saw a stand off this morning on the way to the station. Squirrel v pigeon v massive crow. Squirrel didn't run to be fair. Crow looked game.

You're wrong, pigeon's game.