Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Independent on Sunday

Charlton Life mentioned by Steve Tongue in a piece telling of fan unrest, key people leaving the Valley (RE and Wendy P) and the setting up of a Supporters Trust.

Comments

• Options
    Link?
  • Options
    Nothing new in there of course apart from for want of another word "unease" of some Charlton supporters is filtering into the wider football world. At least we can be certain that MS and TJ are fully aware of how thing sit with a percentage of fans.
  • Options
    Least someone's having a go.
    Very short on facts as usual though.
  • Options
    Not comfortable reading. Regarding CP losing his job, are they basing that purely on rumours they read on Charlton Life?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Not comfortable reading. Regarding CP losing his job, are they basing that purely on rumours they read on Charlton Life?

I'm sure they are or at least the journo has been primed to put the piece in.

• Options
    First National media mention of the Trust?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Steve Tongue has been following Charlton for as long as i can remember.
  • Options
    Case of careful what you wish for guys or careless talk costs managers. There are too many vacancies at the moment. CP could be in demand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'Powell has an uneasy relationship with the board'....says who?
  • Options
    Whatever his following, I have not seen Steve Tongue write two pieces on Charltonin successive weeks ever.
  • Options

'Powell has an uneasy relationship with the board'....says who?

Prague addick speaking as Tony Jiminez. Remember the odd post from the other week where people took it as a literal conversation.

Very very uneasy about this.

• Options
    Absolutely terrible article based on a few rumours heard on a fans website who just happens to have a member who has just been sacked

Bully for the trust for getting a mention but I would prefer to read a story about how good a job Powell and the team are doing (helped by some astute signings with money provided by the board) than a rubbish article that looks like it's written by a disgruntled 13 year old

No doubt this will turn into yet another 300 thread anti board post backed up with no facts
  • Options
    TJ & MS put in Chris Powell in place knowing he had support from the Charlton supporters.

The team was strenghtened with the money from Carl Jenkinson which saw us go up as L1 champions.

The team has been strengthened a little going up into the championship but needed a quality / up and coming centre midfield and striker. This did not happen, Hopefully Kerkar, Razak, Hulse, Fuller and Dervite will prove inspired signings but in the scheme of things they appear to be cheaper options (easy to spend someone elses money, I know). I am pleased for the money being made available for these players to come to the club.

Chris Powell is doing a good job in the circumstances working with the players and injuries he has. He is still learning and improving and makes mistakes but he is learning and improving. I cannot see what significantly any other manager would do better, given the current level of investment. I would also not be very impressed to see blame offloaded for the absence of significant investment onto Chris Powell or the management teams shoulders.
  • Options

Absolutely terrible article based on a few rumours heard on a fans website who just happens to have a member who has just been sacked

Bully for the trust for getting a mention but I would prefer to read a story about how good a job Powell and the team are doing (helped by some astute signings with money provided by the board) than a rubbish article that looks like it's written by a disgruntled 13 year old

No doubt this will turn into yet another 300 thread anti board post backed up with no facts

This this this this this.
  • Options
    Oh dear. I've just read it.

Is this journalist Ricks mate? Or Prague's?
  • Options
    I don't read the Independant, so I am not sure if this is a regular column. None of the four "stories" though should really be against the name of a man considered a serious sports journalist. Very lazy journalism in all cases and just a rehash of tittle tattle picked up on various websites. Is Steve Tongue desk bound these days???
  • Options
    Steve Tongue is a Leyton Orient fan who has lived in SE London for years. He was somebody who helped to create 'Foul' magazine, an outrider of a publication which helped clear the way for the onrush of fanzines, and indeed the (used to be) excellent 'When Saturday Comes'. His family have grown up here, and I believe his partner is or was a teacher in local secondary schools.
    Steve Tongue has been an on and off friend of Charlton Athletic all of his journalistic life, but with enough objectivity about us, because of his Leyton Orient perspective.
    I don't know if anybody has encouraged him to write about us, but in another thread some people have said that journalists worth their salt would have been digging around the developing drama of Charlton Athletic. His article has quite a few facts in it, with about five adjectives that give it a bit of spin, but in no way do I read it as a bad bit of work, more like a decent job of spreading information. If I read a similar piece about another club, say Watford for example, I would be interested, and glad to be a bit more informed.
    My only hesitation is the bit that says the Trust has been created as a reaction to events at Charlton. The trust is as much about reacting to events elsewhere, such as Wycombe, Portsmouth, Cardiff and Swansea than it is about reacting to events at Charlton.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Oh dear. I've just read it.

Is this journalist Ricks mate? Or Prague's?

I can't say that did not cross my mind
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perfect storm at Charlton

Since last week's item on the sacking of Charlton Athletic's head of development, Rick Everitt, another Valley stalwart has left and fans have now become sufficiently concerned about the direction the club are taking to set up a supporters' trust, which will hold a launch party in early December to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Charlton's return to The Valley.

Like Everitt, who was instrumental in that campaign, Wendy Perfect was a loyalist of long standing who helped run away travel, the Young Addicks and the Valley Express coach service. Following the acrimonious departures of the chief executive, Steven Kavanagh, and vice-chairman, Peter Varney, last summer, supporters are asking on the Charlton Life forum who will be next and suggesting that the hugely popular manager, Chris Powell, could be at risk if results do not improve.

Powell is believed to have an uneasy relationship with the current regime of chairman Michael Slater — a Manchester City supporter — and Tony Jimenez, the former Newcastle United vice-president.

Looks to me like he's logged on here, had a quick gander at some of the posts and concocted a story out of it. As a journalist of long-standing he can no doubt sense a story here somewhere, a sort of watch this space/to be updated as and when more news emerges.
  • Options
    That's the way I see it BFR
  • Options
    "Powell is believed to have an uneasy relationship with the current regime of chairman Michael Slater"

This is the bit that pisses me off. I hope those who have posted that on here are pleased with themselves now.
  • Options
    Ditto , I think they want him to go so they can say I told you so.
  • Options

Ditto , I think they want him to go so they can say I told you so.

Could Be the case, also could be that Powell was a recommendation from Varney who is also no longer at the club?
    Pure speculation on my part but who knows what the agenda is.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm a bit puzzled by the logic of some of this. If Chris Powell has a good relationship with TJ then a report in a newspaper to the contrary isn't going to change that; if he doesn't the problem is already there and the same is true. Anyone who wants Chris out is simply daft, in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Exactly
    and some of the of the ease which some fans have taken with the likes of Airman and Wendy leaving is a bit odd imo its almost as if their integrity as genuine Charlton fans is being questioned ffs as if the club would ever be better off without them
    If anyone involved at the top of Charlton really gives a genuine fudge about stuff written on Charlton Life I'd be a bit worried cos surely they know what's really going on so idle gossip shouldn't be a concern

I remember steve tongue from the old LBC days when they followed the football
  • Options

Perfect storm at Charlton

Since last week's item on the sacking of Charlton Athletic's head of development, Rick Everitt, another Valley stalwart has left and fans have now become sufficiently concerned about the direction the club are taking to set up a supporters' trust, which will hold a launch party in early December to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Charlton's return to The Valley.

Like Everitt, who was instrumental in that campaign, Wendy Perfect was a loyalist of long standing who helped run away travel, the Young Addicks and the Valley Express coach service. Following the acrimonious departures of the chief executive, Steven Kavanagh, and vice-chairman, Peter Varney, last summer, supporters are asking on the Charlton Life forum who will be next and suggesting that the hugely popular manager, Chris Powell, could be at risk if results do not improve.

Powell is believed to have an uneasy relationship with the current regime of chairman Michael Slater — a Manchester City supporter — and Tony Jimenez, the former Newcastle United vice-president.

Looks to me like he's logged on here, had a quick gander at some of the posts and concocted a story out of it. As a journalist of long-standing he can no doubt sense a story here somewhere, a sort of watch this space/to be updated as and when more news emerges.

His wife and kids (apart from Jo) support Charlton so he could have been given the heads up on the thread from one of them.
  • Options
    so lavy journo then
  • Options

so lavy journo then

Well yesterday's newspapers is today's lavy paper.