Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Independent on Sunday

Comments

• Options
    if the "Board" want CP out why give him the job and back him to the hilt last season ?
  • Options
    Maybe because it is a different "board" now than it was then.

No Varney and a semi-detached Slater while TJ has a much bigger share holding.

Personally I don't buy the "Powell is about to be sacked any minute" stories but I dont think that CP and TJ have a positive or constructive working relationship and that can't be a good thing for the Club.

• Options
    What do you base that on Henry ?
  • Options
    What did you base your accusation that some people wanted CP sacked "so they say I told you so" on, Steve?

• Options
    It's a serious question

On what basis do you think the chairman and manager dont get on?
  • Options
    Strange that when Prague Addick mentioned the very same thing in his "fictional" discussion with TJ both of you accepted it as reasonable and fair and said how good it was to hear TJs view of things?

But now someone else in the national media mentions it you demand a source knowing full well that no matter which source I or anyone else givea you will already have dismissed it as "comfort blanket" or made up.

• Options
    because people have been asking for journo's to investigate and all I can see reported is things being posted on message boards as opposed to in depth research. It seems to me my personal opinion that people will then feel justified that there info is correct. There have been a couple of postings on here from people supposedly in the know that haven't happened, when thwy believed it was nailed on.
  • Options
    Answer the question

On what basis do YOU think the manager and chairman dont get on?
  • Options

Answer the question

On what basis do YOU think the manager and chairman dont get on?

I doubt he will to be honest mate asking like that. He's posting on a forum, not up before the beak !

It's irrelevant anyone as it will be no doubtedly be from bits and pieces he has picked up over the last few months, of which he won't reveal where, so those that have a dismissive bent will just say its hearsay, which is neither right nor wrong.

• Options
    Not sure how else I could ask it?

Maybe he can answer north stand steves question then

Or maybe just maybe he can write something on a forum read my rubbish independent journos with no evidence to back it up other than hearing what some bloke said in the lib...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just wish someone on the Board would realise that they cannot allow this to fester - they need to provide a clear statment as to what has been going on, what their intentions and plans are, and who are backing them. I don't expect them to give a running commentary on every single action they take, but they do need to realise that football clubs have much wider responsibility than normal companies - and that in absence of proper public pronouncements that rumours and worse are bound to multiply.
  • Options
    I suspect that the Independent only reported stuff that's been on here because that's all there is to report. It doesn't matter if you're John Pilger, Keith Waterhouse or Gunter Wallraff, if people ain't talking they ain't talking.

We're faced with a situation where the board's position seems to be one of deliberate non-communication (the lack of information is just too consistent to be accidental). This is quite disconcerting after 20+ years of having boards that prided themselves on openness and fan-inclusion. Suddenly we are left very much on the outside with no news, no spokesperson and no dialog.

On the other side, the people that have left have given very little either. I've no idea why. Maybe they've taken the clubs shilling or are still serving gardening leave, maybe they're preparing for legal battles, maybe they've been dumbstruck by the trauma of it all, or maybe there just isn't anything much to say. The person I'd like to hear more from is Wendy Perfect. She is perhaps the only one who walked away voluntarily, but from what I've seen (though I could well be wrong) there's not been any public announcement detailing why.

My gut reaction is that something is wrong. This is based on two things only. 1. The lack of communication - I can't think of any positive reasons why the board would be so uncommunicative. 2. The number of departures. What exactly is wrong though, I don't have a clue. Despite this, I still don't think it's right to bemoan the press as they haven't got anything to go on either. Does anyone think that if A Journalist phoned up Chris Powell and asked how he gets on with Slater that they'll get a story out of it? Does anyone think that if Messrs Varney or Kavanagh haven't had a quiet word with long standing fans, they will have a quiet word with some hack? Of course not. I just wish that someone itk would say something tangible, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Options
    so AFKA is Henry going to answer the question thats the question?
  • Options

Not sure how else I could ask it?

Maybe he can answer north stand steves question then

Or maybe just maybe he can write something on a forum read my rubbish independent journos with no evidence to back it up other than hearing what some bloke said in the lib...

Thanks for proving my point.

I haven't said what my source is but already you have decided it "was some bloke in the Lib" and so have dismissed it out of hand.

So I'll say it again just as I have since the summer.

I don't believe all the doom and gloom stories, I don't think Powell is about to be sacked or that we shall be in admin next week.

I have never spoken to Jimenez and the last time I spoke to Slater was a couple of weeks ago.

However a large and growing number of people that I know and/or trust do have contacts (current contacts not just people NSS dismisses as "comfort blankets") are hearing news that is, to me at the very least, a cause for concern and have shared these worries on here. That's what I base my opinions on. You choose to accuse those people of "stirring up rubbish".

One of those concerns, as stated by Prague Addick in his "Jimenez, the case for the defence" piece was Powell won't talk football with TJ.

NSS's response to this was "sounds fair enough to me to be honest"

Your response, Southend, was "Absolutely great thread for those of us who refuse to believe the stirring up rubbish that we have had to read for the last 4 months"

So both NSS and you Southend lapped this up and thought it was great news that fully vindicated TJ. Yet it says the same thing I said and that the IOS said. IE Powell and TJ DO NOT HAVE A GOOD WORKING RELATIONSHIP.

You are quick to ask me for sources but you didn't ask "why won't Powell speak to Jimenez?" Is CP so arrogant that he won't speak to a director or is there another reason why the two don't get on?

• Options
    do me a favour, I said sounds fair enough to me to the whole post not every individual word and line.
  • Options
    Jiminez has history of meddling doesn't he at Newcastle , think he fell out with Keegan cos of that
  • Options
    Jiminez didn't put any money in at Newcastle
  • Options

do me a favour, I said sounds fair enough to me to the whole post not every individual word and line.

Leave it out Steve, you said what you said.

And if you don't now believe that bit about TJ and CP not talking football what is your source for that?

You're quick to ask me and others for ours. I've just told you mine so who are yours? Board members? Jimenez? Who?

• Options
    Banter.......for kids
  • Options
    dont need a source Henry do I , it's my opinion, may be you do have a source.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tess Daly

oh sorry, is this not The Rack thread ?
  • Options

dont need a source Henry do I , it's my opinion, may be you do have a source.

So you think I should not only have a source but have to name them but you don't even have to admit talking to the people you know who I know you know.

Seems very one-sided that

: - )

• Options
    Bit surprised some people are laying into the journo and calling him "lazy" considering a lot of the things stated have at least been heavily speculated by fans here.

It may not be true that CP and Jiminez have a rocky relationship. But if a Charlton fan posted that on here as part of their opinion, nobody would be laying into them - infact, most would probably agree.
  • Options
    cafctom...I mentioned "lazy" journalism simply because it was (or certainly seems to be) a direct lift from here.

Non-lazy journalism, surely, would be to follow up on it and see if there is any truth in the speculation that has been floating around this site, and others, since the summer.
  • Options
    but Henry I don't have sources, never been in that priveledged position.
  • Options

but Henry I don't have sources, never been in that priveledged position.

Don't believe you. Just my opinion though, I don't have a source for that.

: - )
  • Options
    Why though Tom? Why would most people agree that they have a rocky relationship?

I am struggling to think of reasons why either man wouldn't like each other on a professional level

TJ has backed him as a manager and supported him in the transfer market and CP has delivered on all fronts so why would most people think there is a bad relationship there?
  • Options
    Since CurbIt and Kap ask, no, Steve Tongue doesnt know me from Adam, however he has been one of Londons better football Journos for at least 25 years. As such he has far more, reliable real life contacts than this message board. For example, - and it is JUST an example- he is an ex-colleague of Peter Burrowes.
  • Options
    Peter (scoop) Burrows
  • Options
    Of course they have a rocky relationship. in fact I would be surprised otherwise. Mainly because I see TJ as a bit of a wide boy and if him and powell were best pals I would question powells judgement.
    A respect between each other is enough, and I hope they have got that.