Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Player - poor quality of commentary?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I'd rather pay more and have our Charlton Live boys do it, then listen to that Reed character. Trouble is wouldn't be enough though :/
  • Options
    With Pete F and Ian (don't know his surname) over the last 2 weeks it was looking up....trying to do the match thread today was nearly impossible at times...I'm sorry but Jamie didn't do a good job today....and as for alcohol, cottage pie and Scottish coaches we nearly missed the build up to the goal!!! Please can we just commentate so I can update what's going on???
  • Options

With Pete F and Ian (don't know his surname) over the last 2 weeks it was looking up....trying to do the match thread today was nearly impossible at times...I'm sorry but Jamie didn't do a good job today....and as for alcohol, cottage pie and Scottish coaches we nearly missed the build up to the goal!!! Please can we just commentate so I can update what's going on???

Is what you do even legal?
    I mean I pay my hard earned to listen to that shyte and you give it to people Scott free!
    ;-)

• Options
    All he done was talk about shit and chat to his co host David Unsworth about his lovely time at Everton, throw in the prem scores as they happen and if we're lucky, he'd even comment a little on the game
  • Options
    Yep, after a drastic improvement for the Boro and Cardiff games (when Reed was not commentating) we were back to the annoying chit-chat today. Bristol was Reed too and was worse than the Boro and Cardiff games but saved somewhat by Pete obviously trying to drag JR back to talking about the game. Today however, without Pete F keeping him in check, JR was back to the bad old ways.

As others have said, a bit of 'colour' in the commentary is fine and essential to making it listenable and not overly dry, but Reed often seems to want to talk about anything but the game he's commentating on. The other week (I forget which game) he actually said "and a cross comes in" and then broke off mid sentence to tell us about a goal at QPR and speculate on Mark Hughes' future leaving us to guess what the outcome of the cross was.

The only conclusion I can reach is Jamie Reed is the problem.

If anyone with any influence over who commentates on our games reads this... PLEASE can we have the guy who did the Boro and Cardiff games back as often as possible?
  • Options
    Boro game was a joke, missed the whole build up to their first goal, because he found it more interesting talking about their left back. He isn't bad but he wonders off. Surely someone has to have a word with the bloke?
  • Options
    I have just tweeted him politely asking him to cut down on the banter (you'll see it if you follow #cafc) - not sure what else can be done

• Options
    We are going over this ground again, and indeed we need to know who to complain to.
    There is confusion because we pay for Player, those forces bounce us to the BBC with 'it's not down to us guv', which is true...and the waters are muddied further because Charlton Live and their team straddle the clubs agenda with the BBC agenda, and we are apparantly locked in contractually to the BBC coverage.
    If Player is locked in to a service which is supposed to commentate, and the service fails to actually commentate, hasn't the BBC de facto broken the contract and we can get out of it and get our money back?
    If that happens our money can then be sent to Peter Finch and the Charlton Live team who can then provide in house Player commentaries and their fees and expenses are met.
    Jamie Reed has been a guest on Charlton Live, and there is a relationship, even a liking and loyalty there towards him. However he now seems to be almost wilful in not describing the action, perhaps he has a:

'Ha! I'll show them moaning Charlton supporters1 How very dare they! I am Jamie Reed, professional sports person thingy, and I'll say what I want
    I'll say what I waaaaant
    sweet Jamie Reed
    he says what he wants.
    ...kind of attitude to the job'

Does he daydream about getting the glam Chelsea gig, and resents covering us?
  • Options
    Didnt think there was anything wrong with today's commentary . It was far better than the biased tosh I heard on Burnley player.
  • Options
    Would like to listen to player through my samsung tablet but can't get it. Would enable me to walk about the house and not miss anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jayajosh said:

Would like to listen to player through my samsung tablet but can't get it. Would enable me to walk about the house and not miss anything.

Really - there must be an app? I can even get it on the ipad now thanks to the Puffin Browser software....

• Options
    2 weeks on and still no response to my complaint from the BBC, maybe they've had other things on their mind?
  • Options
    Yes, being able to listen on my Android Phone would be very nice.
  • Options
    I listened today to the last fews minutes of the first half and the whole of the second, I had a quick read of the match thread and decided to see if the Burnley commentary was any better. Not that I had any issues with the commentary being provided, but was interested in comparing. I lasted 5 minutes with it, it's obviously down to personal taste.
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

I listened today to the last fews minutes of the first half and the whole of the second, I had a quick read of the match thread and decided to see if the Burnley commentary was any better. Not that I had any issues with the commentary being provided, but was interested in comparing. I lasted 5 minutes with it, it's obviously down to personal taste.

Personal taste or objectivity? You are mates with Jamie aren't you Glovepup?
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Glovepup said:

Yes I am, but I think I can still be objective. I've said things to Pete in the past.
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

Oakster said:

Glovepup said:

Yes I am, but I think I can still be objective. I've said things to Pete in the past.
    Do us a favour then & tell Jamie to please just commentate on the game & keep the banter/distractions to a minimum.

Please, that is all I & others ask - the Burnley commentary whilst horribly biased was at least focused on the game & sitting here thousands of miles away (I could get a really good sense of what was going on.

It may seem trivial to you or some, but it is the only connection I have with the game - it is very important to me & Jamie Reed spoils it each & every time.
  • Options
    I must say. Jamie was very accurate with his premier league updates today.

• Options
    Gazcafc81 said:

Cottage Pie, nuff said.

Haha... I had the Burnley comms on from the start, but was getting annoyed about how biased and northern they were, so i switched to the CAFC comms.

Soon as I had, I heard the bloke talking about what he had for his lunch. I promptly switched back.

Who the fuck cares if you had a cottage pie for lunch?????

• Options
    Cottage pie, interesting ..... i had meatballs for tea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The goal was another good example. JR's commentary effectively ammounted to 'Oh and Charlton have scored', it was only when David Unsworth broke the move down that I got a feel for how the goal came about. Unsworth said (or words to this effect) that Solly pinged a low pass infield, that the ball was worked wide to the left, before a deep cross to the back post was headed back across goal by Hulse and then back into the opposite corner of the net by Haynes. I know it can be hard for a commentator to keep up with every bit of fast paced live action and there is a need to re-cap now and again, but JR basically told us nothing of the build up at all.

I don't want to make it into a witch hunt against JR, but as someone said earlier in the thread, it'd just be nice to hear a bit more "Solly passes infield to Pritchard who moves it forward towards Fuller, but he's dispossessed and Burnley move the ball out to right but it's over hit and out for a throw in to Charlton" type stuff. If he then wants to fill some dead air with a bit of chat about his coffee being cold or some general chat about the game or an individual performance then great. Some of the banter between him a PF can be quite amusing, but too often when listening to his commentary I don't know where on the pitch the ball is or who has possession all while hearing crowd noises that are suggesting something may be happening that he should be telling us about.

I'm sure Jamie is a lovely human being, he comes across as a nice enough bloke, but I think everyone is trying to be constructive with their criticism so I hope he doesn't take it personally and tries to act on some of it because it seems most of his 'customers' feel similarly to me.
  • Options
    Did anyone else enjoy when he spent a while criticising Rob Hulse for being too unselfish with the ball over the course of his career and the match, and then criticised him for being too selfish when he shot a few minutes later? I did.
  • Options
    Awful commontator
  • Options
    This is the sort of commentating he should be doing.

Taken from his own website.

http://www.jamiereid.tv/broadcasting.html

Maybe he should commentate on his own? Just a thought.
  • Options
    I can't believe he was giving out Premier League scores - some people didn't want to know until MOTD tonight!!

:)
  • Options
    Think you might be right there Gazcafc. He seems to forget he's on the radio when he's chatting away. Can understand the need to use his little nuggets of info and swapping banter with his co-commentator when there's a stop in play, but he just seems to forget there's a game going on at times.......
  • Options

I'm sure Jamie is a lovely human being, he comes across as a nice enough bloke, but I think everyone is trying to be constructive with their criticism so I hope he doesn't take it personally and tries to act on some of it because it seems most of his 'customers' feel similarly to me.

I agree with your sentiment

But unless we figure out a way to consistently feed all this back to commentators and their employers all the views on here are whistling in the wind

Is anyone hearing me yet?

We need a feedback mechanism to help improve the service

• Options
    well Jamie has had the decency to respond to my tweet & mention that his more chatty style is due to the game being broadcast on DAB, so fair play to him for getting back to me...let's just hope the message gets across & we can just enjoy the game & not fret about the quality of the coverage we get from CAFCPlayer....
  • Options
    What's the connection between DAB and "non game based chatter "?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I think that when you are commentating directly to fans you have to let them know what is going on. You can have - and they are attacking down the right when you don't know who they are! and that happened a few times yesterday. But I suppose when you are commentating for a wider radio audience, you are expected to have more general talk. I tried switching over to the Burnley commentary, but whilst they described what was going on better, they were a bit like Harry Enfield's and Paul Whitehouse's old gits (Nothern variety).

What I did catch, was them at half time claiming what a terrible decision it was and going to somebody involved with the club I think - and he said sorry but it was a penalty and the right decision by the rules. Sort of took the wind away from their sails a bit.