Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lifers after Death.

Personally,I think life after death is a ridiculous notion.
Is there anyone who thinks differently?

Comments

• Options
    Don't knock it till you've tried it
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    "Lifers after Death."

This aimed at anyone in particular on here?know a few sail close to the wind.
  • Options
    Eschatalogical verification.

So who's first?
  • Options
    There's a time to live and a time to die
    When it's time to meet the maker
    There's a time to live but isn't it strange
    That as soon as you're born you're dying

- Steve Harris
  • Options
    Well this will top off a thoroughly cheerful saturday ;-)

Was brought up Catholic and attended church as a kid and sometime into my teens. Then stopped all that but then continued to believe in God and was almost OCD about praying and stuff thinking that bad stuff would happen if i didnt say ten hail marys and all that malarky.

But then looked at religious fanatics blowing themselves up and killing in the name of God and thought how ludicrous they were and realised that it's probably all fairytales invented to keep some sort of order and give those of us not living the millionaire lifestyle some comfort.

If i sat there and thought about it id probably say nothing exists which is a scary thought as it is a big part of your worldview to face that reality when you've spent the best part of your life believing the stories of be a good boy and youll be rewarded when you pop your clogs.

My missus is the nicest most decent person ive ever met (havent got a clue why she is with me) and she wasnt brought up to believe in anything and doesnt. Cant get my head round the fact that according to what i was brought up with at church that ill go to heaven but she wont as an infidel according to the bible.

Would rather have been brought up an atheist than lose your faith in what was drummed into you for years later on in life as an adult as it really distorts you perspective.

I think the nail in the coffin for me in stopping really believing there is an afterlife/God etc was that poor young girl that went missing in Wales the other week. Dont see how that sort of thing can happen if there was any higher power looking after the good and meek to be honest.
  • Options
    Hope I die before I get old
  • Options
    Yeah, I do.
  • Options
    Don't know one of those things that will either surprise you or piss you off
  • Options

Bit late for that.
  • Options
    I'm a non- believer myself and pretty much have been most of my life. What changed my missus many years ago was when she preyed that my father, who she loved almost as much as I did (he was a great father and friend), would see another Christmas. He didn't.

But then, logically we can't exist...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Addickted said:

Eschatalogical verification.

So who's first?

What is it?

V.G Uboat
  • Options
    There are fairies at the bottom of my garden.
  • Options

I reckon you've got a fortnight then :-)

• Options
    I assume death feels like how it was before birth. Non existence unfortunately, a reminder to make the bloody most of things!
  • Options

There are fairies at the bottom of my garden.

Mushroom omelette for tea Shooters?
    ;)
  • Options

Don't know one of those things that will either surprise you or piss you off

:-) In fact, you'll either be chuffed to bits or you wont BE at all, in which case you wont know about it. Therefore, BELIEVE, you have nothing to lose!!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I am not sure I believe in God but if he does exist I hope he unswervingly believes in me.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

- Steve Harris

`Noone gets out of here alive'

- Jim Morrison

• Options
    Off_it said:

- Steve Harris

Great song.
  • Options

`Noone gets out of here alive'

Well, he still scored for Cardiff on Tuesday.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    even after death it now seems there's a good chance Acworth will be coming after you waving a camcorder around & shouting "show yourself" :(
  • Options
    Here's a guy who had it all sussed out 2,300 years ago:

"Accustom yourself to believing that death is nothing to us, for good and evil imply the capacity for sensation, and death is the privation of all sentience; therefore a correct understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not by adding to life a limitless time, but by taking away the yearning after immortality. For life has no terrors for him who has thoroughly understood that there are no terrors for him in ceasing to live. Foolish, therefore, is the man who says that he fears death, not because it will pain when it comes, but because it pains in the prospect. Whatever causes no annoyance when it is present, causes only a groundless pain in the expectation. Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not. It is nothing, then, either to the living or to the dead, for with the living it is not and the dead exist no longer".
    (Epicurus, Letter to Menoeceus)

But he wasn't as funny as this bloke:

"I was driving alone one day and I saw a hitchhiker with a sign saying Heaven. So I hit him."
    (Steven Wright)
  • Options
    I wonder if on the "other side" there is a forum called Charlton Death?
    I'd probably have to change my username to 3stiffs.

As for life after death, who knows, maybe maybe not, afterall none of us were expecting to be here eh...

Meanwhile I fancy us for a well earned 0-2 :-)
  • Options

Off_it said:

- Steve Harris

Great song.
    Great ALBUM

• Options
    of course there life after death, you end up in the west stand
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Personally,I think life after death is a ridiculous notion.
    Is there anyone who thinks differently?

a very complicated subject .. how long have you got ?
  • Options
    Life after death? I don't think so. This notion is pushed by men in dresses who have an imaginary boss/friend!
  • Options
    If by life after death we mean that when I am dead the atoms that currently help make up ShootersHillGuru are eventually randomly redistributed throughout the cosmos to end up for example in a leaf or rabbit or in my case more likely the big toenail of the then England centre forward then yes there is life after death. If by life after death we mean any of the notions associated with religious beliefs then no.
  • Options
    Life after death is an irrelevance - life before death is what matters.

As I've mentioned on here before (too often I'm sure) I have the disease MSA, which is a bit like Parkinson's with attitude. You get about nine years of slow deterioration. I have the opportunity to reflect on times past, and without the shadow of a doubt my regrets over things I've done wrong are well outweighed by the things I never did or said at all but should have done.

LLLABH, as it used to say at the top of these pages. You can't make up for lost time - what's past is gone for good, so make the most of what you've got.
  • Options
    Very inspirational GHF