Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lifers after Death.

Comments

• Options
    Reincarnation for me, I believe I'll come back as another person, maybe an Ultra!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Eschatalogical verification.

So who's first?

Anyone wishing to know more about this subject should listen to these two Melvyn Bragg programmes (linked below), the first is the Ontological Argument and the second The Soul.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mwx64

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00548g4
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Loco said:

Addickted said:

Eschatalogical verification.

So who's first?

Anyone wishing to know more about this subject should listen to these two Melvyn Bragg programmes (linked below), the first is the Ontological Argument and the second The Soul.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mwx64

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00548g4
    I'm really tempted but I just wonder given that I don't believe in life after death that what I have left in this my only life is far too short to listen to them.

• Options
    No idea about life after death. I do think that Religion is mainly an accident of birth ie Italy probably a Catholic, Iran probably a Muslim. With that in mind, if there is life after death I would not think it is region based.
  • Options
    Forget religion - it hasn't anything to do with it. The essence that is the "real" me (that I know of but is constantly hidden by my unreal ego) has existed for all eternity and will continue to exist after my physical body is long gone. I don't know what it is but it is the real me and will never end.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Forget religion - it hasn't anything to do with it. The essence that is the "real" me (that I know of but is constantly hidden by my unreal ego) has existed for all eternity and will continue to exist after my physical body is long gone. I don't know what it is but it is the real me and will never end.

How is this measurable ?

• Options
    By inner happiness?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Inn(er) Happiness

Good pub name?

• Options
    It's all in the mind.

But not in the body.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Can you see the real me, doctor, doctor!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No idea about life after death. I do think that Religion is mainly an accident of birth ie Italy probably a Catholic, Iran probably a Muslim. With that in mind, if there is life after death I would not think it is region based.

good summary ..
  • Options
    I am currently reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. Pretty much says everything I feel on the subject in a much more coherent and intelligent way then I could
  • Options
    We are stardust, we are golden
    Billion year old carbon
    And we've got to get ourselves
    Back to the Garden

J Mitchell
  • Options
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, nobody wants to die.
  • Options
    my girlfriend is doing her catholic training to become a catholic at easter, the priest said as i was the one who suggested it i am known as a missionary , this chuckles me
  • Options
    Thanks for that link Len. Facinating read.
  • Options
    God I hope not.

• Options
    edited November 2012

I am currently reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. Pretty much says everything I feel on the subject in a much more coherent and intelligent way then I could

Just one man's opinion, though.

He doesn't actually know any more than you or me.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Just one man's opinion, though.

He doesn't actually know any more than you or me.

I see your point Oggy but Dawkins looks to cast doubt on why religion is held in such importance and has huge influence in world affairs and yet is based on nothing more than myth with any more credibility than believing in eg the Loch Ness monster. He does a very good job too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I just thought of getting this today and wrote on another thread, sounds like a purchase.

• Options
    Obviously I agree with the above comment by ShootersHillGuru. For me, Dawkins arguments presented in this book and in his other publications and TV appearances are, as I mentioned above, the most coherent, intelligent and well thought out arguments I have ever heard on the subject.

In reply to Oggy. 'It is often said, mainly by the 'no-contests', that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thoughts it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies? '
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I just thought of getting this today and wrote on another thread, sounds like a purchase.

I highly recconmend it. Even if you might get some strange looks on the train whilst reading it ha ha.
  • Options
    The burden of proof is with the believers. Until they give us some evidence, then the only reasonable position to take is to dismiss it as you would any other fairy stories. Gods, afterlife, eternal spirits are all compete and utter bunkum. If it were not for the facts that 1. People are brainwashed from birth and 2. There are times in everyone's life when things get tough and they desperately want to believe in some external big brother to look after them, no-one would ever believe in any of this nonsense.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

I highly recconmend it. Even if you might get some strange looks on the train whilst reading it ha ha.
    Totally agree with FCF. It's a very compelling book.

• Options
    Stig said:

The burden of proof is with the believers. Until they give us some evidence, then the only reasonable position to take is to dismiss it as you would any other fairy stories. Gods, afterlife, eternal spirits are all compete and utter bunkum. If it were not for the facts that 1. People are brainwashed from birth and 2. There are times in everyone's life when things get tough and they desperately want to believe in some external big brother to look after them, no-one would ever believe in any of this nonsense.

Sums it up well.

Enjoy your time, there's nowt else at the end of it.
  • Options
    "Life is wasted on the young".
  • Options
    On the subject of Dawkins this video is pretty funny:

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=GB#/watch?v=-ZuowNcuGsc
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Meanwhile I fancy us for a well earned 0-2 :-)

Is this god?
  • Options
    I'm going to come back as Chris Powell's grandchild and give him a big cuddle