Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lifers after Death.

13»

Comments

• Options

Dave2l said:

I just thought of getting this today and wrote on another thread, sounds like a purchase.

I highly recconmend it. Even if you might get some strange looks on the train whilst reading it ha ha.
    I think people who read the bible on the train are more deserving of strange looks.

I enjoyed the 'God Delusion' but he was preaching to the converted. I'd be interested to know what non-atheists think of it.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I am currently reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. Pretty much says everything I feel on the subject in a much more coherent and intelligent way then I could

Just one man's opinion, though.

He doesn't actually know any more than you or me.

he knows more than me ;-)
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

I am currently reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. Pretty much says everything I feel on the subject in a much more coherent and intelligent way then I could

Just one man's opinion, though.

He doesn't actually know any more than you or me.

I see your point Oggy but Dawkins looks to cast doubt on why religion is held in such importance and has huge influence in world affairs and yet is based on nothing more than myth with any more credibility than believing in eg the Loch Ness monster. He does a very good job too.
    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~orie0087/pdf_files/General untechnical papers/The Existence of God.pdf

• Options

I'm really tempted but I just wonder given that I don't believe in life after death that what I have left in this my only life is far too short to listen to them.

If you never learn about things just because you disagree with the premise the rest of the time you have left maybe somewhat empty and unfulfilled.
  • Options

If by life after death we mean that when I am dead the atoms that currently help make up ShootersHillGuru are eventually randomly redistributed throughout the cosmos to end up for example in a leaf or rabbit or in my case more likely the big toenail of the then England centre forward then yes there is life after death. If by life after death we mean any of the notions associated with religious beliefs then no.

THIS .. Just how many redistributory 'big bangs' have there been ?
  • Options

Off_it said:

There's a time to live and a time to die
    When it's time to meet the maker
    There's a time to live but isn't it strange
    That as soon as you're born you're dying

- Steve Harris

Great song.
    Great ALBUM

Gotta agree with that, about time The Clairvoyant was put back into the set. Donington next year would be a good place to start!

Re the subject in hand I'm pretty sure there's nothing afterwards but I would guess that a lot of people like me cling on to the belief we'll go on in some way or another as we don't like the idea that death is the absolute end of us. Whether the 'afterwards' is up there or down there is open to speculation.....

"The world is full of Kings and Queens
    Who blind your eyes then steal your dreams
    ...it's Heaven and Hell"

Tony Iommi & Ronnie James Dio - 1980

• Options
    When you cut your finger nails, or your hair, do they go to heaven? Do they have any conscious thought? Or are they dead pieces of matter that will soon disappear from this world?! I believe the latter, and no reason to think the other parts of my body are any different!
  • Options
    the burden of proof is not with the believers as they havnt asked the question.

There is a God but i have no religion.

As for an after life ? not sure what that would be ? my wife is a Budhist so does she go to their heaven (eventually) and i wont be there as i dont have her beliefs (yes i know lucky her)
  • Options
    Knowing my luck I'll come back as myself!!!

On a more serious note I think that it's all a load of crap. To me death means death.
  • Options

As for an after life ? not sure what that would be ?

You'd come back as an Arsenal supporter?

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

As for an after life ? not sure what that would be ?

You'd come back as an Arsenal supporter?

;o)
    Well I've already ducked and covered my ears....
  • Options
    If I locked my young son in a room, with no tv/internet or contact with anyone, would he start praying to a God? Of course not as he has not been conditioned to believe there is a god or there is a concept of relgion, let alone life after death.

All that will remain after I die are the memories others have of me and some postings I have made on the internet.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    In 1000s of years time after empires have risen, fallen, risen and fallen again all that will be left of so called civilisation will be tatty print outs of ancient "Charlton Life" threads that will be poured over by scholars for meaning.

The significance of SISS, ETCYT and LLLBH will be debated long into the night. The true meanings will be known only to the high priests of the new religion known as "clique"

Denying the divinity of the Great AFKA will become a crime punishable by burning.

Wars will be fought over which is the true path to enlightenment. Is it the Lib or the Oak?

Children will be told that if they do not eat all their food or go to bed the evil spirits known as SparrowsLaneLion and Bunny will get them.

There is no god but AFKA and Lookout is his prophet
  • Options
    I like to think there is, mainly in the vain hope of meeting up with a couple of people again. But im not hopeful if im honest.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If I locked my young son in a room, with no tv/internet or contact with anyone, would he start praying to a God? Of course not as he has not been conditioned to believe there is a god or there is a concept of relgion, let alone life after death.

All that will remain after I die are the memories others have of me and some postings I have made on the internet.

When you're not looking we delete all your posts!
  • Options

the burden of proof is not with the believers as they havnt asked the question...

You're quite right as far as people with their own private beliefs is concerned, as long as they seek only to keep those beliefs to themselves. However, for anyone who wants to convince a rational person of anything, then there is most definately a burden of proof. In this case need for proof, that has most definately remained unfulfilled and I confidently predict will continue to do so.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
  • Options
  • Options

But Henry, I thought Charlton Life was a non-prophet organisation?

• Options

But Henry, I thought Charlton Life was a non-prophet organisation?

Brilliant stuff the two of you. They are my favourite posts on CL this year.

As for me, I think that there is life after death. It's just that you don't get to live it yourself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love it, King A-R-T-H-U-R

Pun of the day !!
  • Options
    Life after death= Not gauranteed
    Death after life= Gauranteed
  • Options

Life after death= Not gauranteed
    Death after life= Gauranteed

Spell check after life ?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Spell checking during life = Not guaranteed
    Not spell checking after death =Guaranteed
    :)
  • Options
    Off_it said:

'Nice to see ya to see ya nice! Here's a song off 'Piece of Mind' this one, written about religion- or about washing your car, that's about as easy as opening a pair of curtains- song's called 'Revelations' this one!'

Bruce Dickinson, Long Beach Arena, 1985