Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

India v England Test Series (Nov 2012).

Comments

• Options
    think broad has a photo of Geoff Miller in a compromising situation
  • Options
    Broad was in the ICC Team of the Year, that said he went off the boil in the SA series last summer but his form in the year up to then had been brilliant. The problem with him is that he doesn't seam/swing the ball a great deal, so if the rhythym isn't there then he tends to bowl fast medium rubbish and anything overpitched or straying off line gets picked off easily.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

I'd've left Broad out. In no form at all and I dot think he's picked up a worker in his last 6 opening spells

That's the trouble with the England team, it's not picked on form but on reputations and past glories. Central contracts are OK but the scheme has certainly reduced the selection pool.
    I don't agree with chopping and changing for the sake of it, and England used to suffer heavily from that in the past... but having said that Broad doesn't currently deserve his place. Oh, and I meant wicket, not worker!
    I agree. Broad has been poorly/injured for a few days so cannot be match fit and Onions is a steady man to have in reserve. I would have played him and Panesar in place of Bresnan and Broad. However on these flat pancake Indian wickets all bowlers are on a hiding to nothing. Swann has done extraordinarily well. The older he gets, the better he gets
  • Options
    Onions had a poor game in the warm-up and blew his chance then, Bresnan bowled well and adds depth to the batting line up, and Andy Flower doesn't trust Monty as a fielder/batsman. He might not bowl as well as Monty but Patel will score more runs and Flower/England's strategy is about batting other teams out of matches and then trying to take 20 wickets.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It's not a question of Patel OR Panesar, I would have Patel in the side for his batting. And as for the notion that Bresnan strenghtens the batting, his recent record is modest. And if 6 batsmen plus Prior can't score enough runs on flat wickets then England is in a much poorer state than I feared. Panesar, Anderson, Onions (more consistenlty accurate then Bresnan) and Swann should have been selected for this test as Broad is obviously struggling for form and fitness. Finn's injury led to the selectors taking a chance on a 1/2 fit Broad. It hasn't worked. As for Panesar's fielding, this is a test and not a one dayer where there is no place to hide. Panesar's superior bowling would have offset any potential errors in his fielding.
  • Options

It's not a question of Patel OR Panesar, I would have Patel in the side for his batting. And as for the notion that Bresnan strenghtens the batting, his recent record is

Bresnan doesn't have that high an average - but he has a habit of scoring his runs slowly and so allows whoever he's batting with to score runs. Hanging around and not getting out is much under-rated at Test level.

• Options
    Morning Everybody.

India 381-4 (Pujara 122* Yuvraj 54*).
  • Options
    417-5 (Pujara 137* Dhoni 1*)
  • Options
    481-6 Swann now got 5 wickets
  • Options
    521 - 8. declared. Pietersen and anderson with the last two wickets.

Pujara 206* quality batsman. even though the pitch is doing next to nought he really does look the part.

18/0 England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The kiss of death .. Compton so far is doing OK .. he looks very composed
  • Options
    28-1, Compton out.
  • Options

The kiss of death .. Compton so far is doing OK .. he looks very composed

lol
  • Options
    sure was...............Compton out. England 28-1

India started with their spinners and now have 4 fielders around the bat - the English batsman need to grow some kuhuna's and whack a few over the top so as to drop the field back, otherwis it will be carnage & it will be all over by the 4th day.
  • Options
    29=2 (trail by 482).
  • Options
    The word domino springs to mind! lol
  • Options
    30-3......
  • Options
    Laughing stock
  • Options
    I'll change my last post................it will all be over by tomorrow !!

Just like Charlton - too defensive !! need to be more positive - hit a few and move the field back a bit.

I also blame the selectors - had to go into the game with Swann & Panesar - bu all means have samit Patel aswell, but didn't need 3 pace men when 10 out of the 11 wickets to fall have been to spin.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Just like Charlton - too defensive !! need to be more positive - hit a few and move the field back a bit.

I also blame the selectors - had to go into the game with Swann & Panesar - bu all means have samit Patel aswell, but didn't need 3 pace men when 10 out of the 11 wickets to fall have been to spin.

This is what i really don’t get.
    We all know what the pitches are like in the sub-continent and we all know how India play with plenty of spin. so why dont we?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    41/3 at the close.
  • Options
    That was rubbish!
  • Options

I never thought I would say this but I agree totally with Golfie.How we went in with three seamers is a mystery.It was crying out for Panesar.Also the dynamics of the three opening batsmen is wrong,Compton,Cook and Trott are all defensive batsmen,accumulators.We need to break it up with a more attacking batsman.Perhaps have Bell opening the batting and have Pietersen coming in at number three.We just let the spinners bowl with lots of players round the bat.It is a different game in India and we haven't adjusted.

• Options
    So predictable ....................
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Apologises, sent this whilst not concentrating

Swann (can bat) Tredwell (can bat) Patel (can bat) Monty (errr..)
    Batting:...Prior, Patel, Tredwell, Anderson & Monty.

In India.
  • Options
    188-9
  • Options
    For all the reasons why we struggle in india - just listen to mr g boycott for five minutes.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

For all the reasons why we struggle in india - just listen to mr g boycott for five minutes.

why,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is it all his fault then ???

• Options

johnny73 said:

Obviously I wasn't clear. Boycott is the most intelligent analyst of cricket we have in this country and gives sound reasons for our failures and how we can improve for the future.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

johnny73 said:

Obviously I wasn't clear. Boycott is the most intelligent analyst of cricket we have in this country and gives sound reasons for our failures and how we can improve for the future.
    Knows his stuff for sure, it's just a shame he's a total wazzock.

Compton and cook just finished with a century opening partnership. Begs the question what the hell did england think they were doing yesterday?