Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bombsight - The Valley

http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

I see the Valley took a direct hit. Which is probably common knowledge. I was just looking at my old address and noticed the one on the pitch.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2012
    The link doesn't work

(on my computer anyway)
  • Options
    It does on mine. its in quite a few press links today so you might find it elsewhere.
  • Options
    Might be something to do with the work system. I'll try at home later.
  • Options
    i didnt know that curbit, wonder if there are any pics of the damage?... bloody jerrys!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Think it is down due to volume of traffic.
    Tried earlier after saw it on BBC website and worked for liitle bit, then crashed.
  • Options
    Bomb Sight project
    Sorry, we are experiencing high load at present. Please try again later.

Please read our project blog or follow us on Twitter @BombSightUK for more information.

Charlton Life broke them!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Looked like a Jerry bomber pilot must have known something we didn't and tried to blowup Darrent Valley Hospital even before it was built!

They also seemed to have something against golf courses too judging by the amount bombed!!
  • Options
    cafckev said:

They also seemed to have something against golf courses too judging by the amount bombed!!

They heard they were full of bunkers

• Options
    Curb_It said:

I see the Valley took a direct hit.

Surely Lord Haw Haw wasn't a Millwall fan?

• Options
    I can see that three fell in the area my Nan used to live at Eltham Palance Road which accounts for the fact why my dad and his two brothers had to live in prefabs on the Rochester Way throughtout their childhood. Interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jayajosh said:

I can see that three fell in the area my Nan used to live at Eltham Palance Road which accounts for the fact why my dad and his two brothers had to live in prefabs on the Rochester Way throughtout their childhood. Interesting.

Eltham Palance Road ? Did a man called Jack live there ? ;0)

• Options
    Cant zoom in enough, as soon as I get to street level all the red markers dissapear.
  • Options

Jayajosh said:

Eltham Palance Road ? Did a man called Jack live there ? ;0)

Liking your work

• Options
    Bombsight is a fascinating website .. the Luftwaffe sowed a wind .. and reaped a whirlwind
  • Options
    Not sure if that is 100% accurate.

The house next to the one I was bought up in, in Glenesk Road, was destroyed by the Luftwaffe, trying to hit the railway line about 400 yards further north. It's not shown on that map.

I remember as a kid still picking out the bits of shrapnel from the flank wall of the house some 25 years after the bomb dropped.

If any of those people who feel a bit sorry for the people of places like Dresden, just pan out to get an overview of just how many bombs the Nazi's dropped on us - over an eight month period.

And that was just London.
  • Options
    Looks like Charlton Park got quite a cluster
  • Options
    The houses bombed on that map on 40hill in enfield look to be correct what a great site that is i hope iys right
  • Options
    Wow, amazing site. I see the one that got my Grandparents house in upper Belvedere. Fortunately they had a "bad feeling" and went down into their shelter. Where I grew up on Hurst Road in Bexley got 2 close hits.

Interesting to note that The Woolwich Arsenal didn't take that many hits.
  • Options
    I think the bomb damaged the Covered End roof. You could still see the section that had been replaced in the 1980s.
  • Options

Wow, amazing site. I see the one that got my Grandparents house in upper Belvedere. Fortunately they had a "bad feeling" and went down into their shelter. Where I grew up on Hurst Road in Bexley got 2 close hits.

Places like the Arsenal were defended by anti aircraft guns so would have kept some of the bombers away
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think the bomb damaged the Covered End roof. You could still see the section that had been replaced in the 1980s.

Ah, that makes sense - I remember that.
  • Options

I thought that was a result of a Les Berry clearance.
  • Options

Places like the Arsenal were defended by anti aircraft guns so would have kept some of the bombers away
    On the contrary, Woolwich Arsenal was hit on numerous occasions and on 7th September 1940, parts of it were almost completely destroyed. The reason it doesn't appear on these bomb maps (or on the original LCC survey) is that it was War Office land and not under municipal control, so the whole area was under a complete security blanket. The Greenwich Heritage Centre does have the Arsenal records and there is also a Royal Arsenal Historical Society that has very comprehensive records. My late Mum also worked there throughout the war and had some pretty hair-raising stories of whole areas of it being laid waste. It was a wonder that they managed to keep any sort of production going.

This new bomb survey is a fascinating record and a good way of making the LCC survey more accessible but it does have some limitations - at least for now - it only covers the First Blitz between 7th Sept 1940 and 11th May 1941, does not include the terror weapons (V-1s and V-2s) or the Baby Blitz of late 1943/early 1944. Still fascinating stuff though and very useful for researc
  • Options

I thought that was a result of a Les Berry clearance.
    Swear he wore Toblerone shaped footy boots.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Addickted said:

The house next to the one I was bought up in, in Glenesk Road, was destroyed by the Luftwaffe, trying to hit the railway line about 400 yards further north. It's not shown on that map.

I remember as a kid still picking out the bits of shrapnel from the flank wall of the house some 25 years after the bomb dropped.

If any of those people who feel a bit sorry for the people of places like Dresden, just pan out to get an overview of just how many bombs the Nazi's dropped on us - over an eight month period.

Comparisons between London and Dresden and any other German cities are somewhat incongruous. In the UK during the entire war, some 60,000 civilians were killed by enemy air attack. Compare this with Hamburg, when a similar number were killed by the RAF in one night. Whilst not wishing to get into a debate over the rights and wrongs of the Allied area bombing policy, compared with what happened to the German cities, the London Blitz, although awful for those involved was pretty small beer.

Glenesk Road suffered quite a lot. Whilst it was doubtful that the bombers were actually aiming at the railway lines, the bombers following railway lines as these were a useful point of reference for them and along with rivers and canals, easily followed from the air.
  • Options
    Tom Hovi said:

Addickted said:

Comparisons between London and Dresden and any other German cities are somewhat incongruous. In the UK during the entire war, some 60,000 civilians were killed by enemy air attack. Compare this with Hamburg, when a similar number were killed by the RAF in one night. Whilst not wishing to get into a debate over the rights and wrongs of the Allied area bombing policy, compared with what happened to the German cities, the London Blitz, although awful for those involved was pretty small beer.

Glenesk Road suffered quite a lot. Whilst it was doubtful that the bombers were actually aiming at the railway lines, the bombers following railway lines as these were a useful point of reference for them and along with rivers and canals, easily followed from the air.
    Every death during the war was a tragedy.

• Options
    Remember it wasn't only London that suffered heavily in the Blitz.

The city centres of Coventry, Plymouth, Swansea and others were totally destroyed and many other towns severly damaged.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Tom Hovi said:

Addickted said:

I think we can be sure that if the NAZIS had the capacity, London and other UK cities would have been razed to the ground in a merciless fashion. Like Hiroshima, if the Japs hadn't attacked Pearl Harbour, the atom bomb would not have been dropped. If you start a fight, make sure you can win it and don't moan if you come out of it defeated and terribly injured
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for posting this @Curb_It it's interesting to look up places you know.
    Addickted said:

Most people on this site will have family who lived in London during the war and were affected by the bombing. Whilst you can be told / read about / see photographs & film of the bombing, you can never truely appreciate the horrors of the bombing and its associated effects (e.g. people crushed to death at the underground entrance) unless you were there.

Without getting into the whether bombing Dresden was correct or not, (even if you believe the bombing of Dresden shortened the war and ultimately saved lives in the long run) surely everyone feels sorry for some of the people of Dresden that were affected when their town was bombed. Carpet bombing with the ensuing firestorm must have been a dreadful experience.
  • Options
    Every death was indeed a tragedy and as Lincs says, I too am pretty certain that if the Luftwaffe had had the capability they would have done their utmost to raze our cities to the ground. Fortunately for us, the incompetence of the Nazi leadership and their preoccupation with fighting amongst themselves ensured that they never had a strong enough force to serious threaten this sort of thing happening. Also, for the first time, the Luftwaffe found themselves up against a superbly organised modern air force which did not allow them to establish air superiority.

I wasn't attempting to moralise over the pros and cons of the Allied bombing campaign against the Nazis, but merely trying to show a little perspective.

I happen to agree with Lincs's viewpoint - if you're in a total war against an enemy such as the Axis, you make damned sure that you win by whatever means possible. War isn't a game of cricket.