Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bombsight - The Valley

13»

Comments

• Options
    Might have to ask Fanny, am sure she will remember....

(runs to nearest bomb shelter for safety)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    SE7toSG3 said:

The bombsite app shows the locations where ordinance was dropped but not all the damage to houses.

A good alternative source is the LCC Map that was published by the cartographical society around 2000, local libraries may have a copy, I think they only printed 500 or so. Each street and house across London is colour coded to show the extent of the damage, it's fascinating, I have one but it's on loan to a student at the moment, @Tom Hovi‌ May be able to help.

That said I'm not sure it goes out as far as Dartford.

I do have a cracking map of every V1 & V2 that struck Kent that shows how often Dartford was hit kindly given to me by @GlassHalfFull‌ so will look on that for you

Clive

I think this map is interactively on display at the small visitor centre at the University of Greenwich site down by the Thames near the Cutty Sark. The entrance is by the statue of Sir Walter Rayleigh. It by the left wall as you enter on an interactive TV screen.

I found out that the house I used to live in in Kinveachy Gardens SE7 was extensively damaged. I wonder if photographs exist for that ?

Facinatiing stuff.

• Options
    just seen the site of springfield and Elliscobme Mount bomb drops.
    Source: Aggregate Night Time Bomb Census 7th October 1940 to 6 June 1941
    Fell between Oct. 7, 1940 and June 6, 1941

Present-day address
    Charlton Road, Charlton, London Borough of Greenwich, SE10, London
    High explosive.Fell between Oct. 7, 1940 and June 6, 1941

Elliscombe Mount:
    Parachute Bomb.
    Fell between Oct. 7, 1940 and June 6, 1941

Present-day address
    Elliscombe Road, Charlton, London Borough of Greenwich, SE18, London

Been a great posting this........
    Did Tom Hovi or anyone else get the idea of a 'walking guide' sorted. I am sure this would be very popular with a tour from Blackheath Standard, or some such venue. Perhaps myself and Clive could combine it with a visit to the museum 2 hours then a hour of the museum...... say in April on a non match day/Sunday. I would be happy to pay.
  • Options
    One picture shows Old Woolwich Road School ( later Meridian School ) in Greenwich, which was the school I went to, albeit just after the war.

I lived just round the corner from the school and houses, all around the one that I and my family lived in, were bombed. Lots of adventures in the bombed houses, walking up "open plan" (not as designed") staircases and beams and rafters with few floorboards.

How did I reach adulthood and "where were the parents?" I hear the modern day PC observers' say and "who cares" say others.
  • Options
    Shitehurst must have taken a hell of a battering looking at the state of it.
  • Options

Thanks for posting this @Curb_It it's interesting to look up places you know.

Addickted said:

If any of those people who feel a bit sorry for the people of places like Dresden, just pan out to get an overview of just how many bombs the Nazi's dropped on us - over an eight month period.

And that was just London.

Most people on this site will have family who lived in London during the war and were affected by the bombing. Whilst you can be told / read about / see photographs & film of the bombing, you can never truely appreciate the horrors of the bombing and its associated effects (e.g. people crushed to death at the underground entrance) unless you were there.

Without getting into the whether bombing Dresden was correct or not, (even if you believe the bombing of Dresden shortened the war and ultimately saved lives in the long run) surely everyone feels sorry for some of the people of Dresden that were affected when their town was bombed. Carpet bombing with the ensuing firestorm must have been a dreadful experience.

My family are from the IOW and my mum lived there throughout WWII while my old man was serving in North Africa and later, in Italy. We didn't move to London until the early 1960's when I was a nipper.

She used to tell me how the Island got off very lightly and people could stand on the sea front at Ryde and Cowes and see the destruction being wreaked on Portsmouth and Southampton.

Having been involved in two wars myself as a combatant, and seen the effects of the war in Kosovo when I did reservist service with a NATO force, I must agree the sentiments of the poster. Of course, my combat experiences were nothing like WWII, but that just gives me a perspective on what the hell of that time must have been like.

But the best way to end a war is to win it.... quickly. It would be preferable to do that without loss of civilian life, but the serviceman does what he has to so he can get it all over with and go home in one piece.

He'll deal with his conscience and the nightmares later.