Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It was thirty years ago today that...

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell Henry, thanks a bunch. I feel so much older for knowing that.

Still, I'm nicking it for Facebook ;-)
  • Options
    Saw them at the Greyhound in Croydon back in '77 (so long ago!) ...stunning gig
  • Options
    Saw them in Paris, great night.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Saw them in Paris, great night.

See Weller in a small Paris back street gig. Mustard
  • Options

I saw them at the Rainbow, which I thought was there last gig, but it was at Brighton apparently.
    Does anyone remember a gig at the Rainbow towards the end.

I remember seeing them at the Rainbow a few times. First they supported the Clash and the Buzzcocks were also on the bill.

Last time I was attacked by some teenage skins. One was trying to pull himself up on my shoulders (I'm 6' 4") to headbutt me. Another literally run on to my fist to which he mate said "leave him alone" in a squeaky voice. They then ran off.
    But have you ever chinned a comedian?
  • Options
    Stone said:

Stone said:

I saw them at Brighton but not sure it was their last gig. Pretty sure it was at the conference centre.

Thought they did a one off at Brighton....an invite only type of gig.
    Doing a bit of googling I found this but it sounds too late for me http://www.modculture.co.uk/the-jam-december-11th-1982-by-simon-wells/

But they also done a gig at the conference centre on 15th December 1979 according to this site: http://www.thejamfan.net/live_recordings.htm which is more likely the one I went to at Brighton. I saw them at wembley arena a bit later.
    That would be right...30 years ago today.
  • Options
    Got to see them a couple of times that last year & took delivery of the Live in Copenhagen 1982 vinyl last week.

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/rock/the-jam-live-in-copenhagen-april-1982-12-vinyl/invt/0602537185955/

Devastated when they split, but did get TSC straight away and have followed Weller all through. Felt like I was in David Lines book at times. Enjoyable read if you haven't read it yet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modfather-My-Life-Paul-Weller/dp/0099476592
  • Options
    If you got to the gigs early enough , you used to be allowed to see the sound check and leave and come back later for the gig. I done this at Guildford and Brighton.
  • Options

Was that last gig a one-off after the run they did at Wembley arena? Just checked my ticket out and I went on Friday 3rd Dec....question, can anyone remember the support act on with the Jam at those Wembley gigs?

Bananarama were support at the gig I went to in Dec '81. Awful, pretty sure they mimed.

• Options

..... The Jam played their last live concert.

We are now further away from the Jam's last concert than the Jam's formation ( in 1972) was from the end of World War II.

As Weller wrote "Hope I die before I get old" : - )

Err, no. The Who's My Generation had that line in 1965. Written by Townsend I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

We are now further away from the Jam's last concert than the Jam's formation ( in 1972) was from the end of World War II.

Err, no. The Who's My Generation had that line in 1965. Written by Townsend I believe.
    Really, I didn't know that. You'll be telling me The Kinks did David Watts next.

It was a joke hence the smiley : - ). Townsend and the Who were a massive influence on Weller.

• Options

cafcfan said:

Really, I didn't know that. You'll be telling me The Kinks did David Watts next.

It was a joke hence the smiley : - ). Townsend and the Who were a massive influence on Weller.

I wouldn't dare to presume to educate you Henry - merely providing some additional input for the sake of clarity and for the benefit of those that might not have known. Whatever, the sentiment's a good one, it is better to burn out....
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

I wouldn't dare to presume to educate you Henry - merely providing some additional input for the sake of clarity and for the benefit of those that might not have known. Whatever, the sentiment's a good one, it is better to burn out....
    Hold on Henry. You telling me that Weller, Townsend & Davies aren't the same person? I'm confused now............
  • Options
    Understand Marriot was his biggest influence
  • Options

Yep...he loves a hotel group!! ;-)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

than to fade away.............
  • Options
    ..... Than it is to rust.

My, my hey hey
  • Options
    Bringing Crazy Horse to London next June!
  • Options
    Just too young to see the jam. Saw the style council a couple of times and weller a few times. Also seen from the jam twice, once with rick buckler. They played at the mick jagger centre earlier this year, they were superb.
  • Options
    Saw that. Tempted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2012

Big Country were the support at the last Wembley gigs
  • Options
    Big Country were the support at the last Wembley gigs
  • Options

See Weller and Noel Gallagher do a small benefit do for Steve Marriott at The Astoria
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

See Weller and Noel Gallagher do a small benefit do for Steve Marriott at The Astoria
    Was that the memorial concert? Wouldn't call it small. Humble Pie played as did the remaining 2 small faces. Plus weller & gallagher of course.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Was that the memorial concert? Wouldn't call it small. Humble Pie played as did the remaining 2 small faces. Plus weller & gallagher of course.
    It was 10 years after Marriott died and as you might have guessed from my picture, I was there and wouldn't have missed it for the world.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

It was 10 years after Marriott died and as you might have guessed from my picture, I was there and wouldn't have missed it for the world.
    Was it 2001? Thought it was longer ago than that. Remember it as being a small do, but I was going to see Weller every other week back then so might be mistaken. Got talking to his guitar tech at the bar and he fave me a couple of Weller's plectrums (or so he said). Me mates old man was bouncer that night and I'll never forget when the lights came on, he was standing next to Weller and Gallagher on the stage. Mustard!
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Fantastic night, which broke the record for takings behind the bar at an event there. Someone got me a ticket at the last minute and didn't know Humble Pie were playing, thought it was just frampton. I dug out the album I got marriot to sign when I saw him at the tramshed in the 80's, will put a picture of it up tonight.
  • Options

Saw that. Tempted.

No, that was Squeeze

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

Fantastic night, which broke the record for takings behind the bar at an event there. Someone got me a ticket at the last minute and didn't know Humble Pie were playing, thought it was just frampton. I dug out the album I got marriot to sign when I saw him at the tramshed in the 80's, will put a picture of it up tonight.
    Re-live it all again
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Marriott-Astoria-Memorial-Concert/dp/B00061Q9HG/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1355401914&sr=1-2
  • Options
    Cheers, I've got a well worn copy of that already and the CD.