Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 3rd Round | Charlton vs. Huddersfield | 5th January 2013 | Preview, Teams, Predictions

WSSWSS
edited January 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

The FA Cup Third Round evokes emotion, it evokes passion and it generates excitement levels not seen at any other stage of the footballing calendar. That is unless you get drawn to a team in the same league as yours at home that you played a mere eight weeks ago. That score draw against Huddersfield where a Rob Hulse opener was cancelled out by a Clayton penalty in the 88th minute was witnessed by over a reported 20,000 (cough cough). Expect at least a 30% decrease in numbers come Saturday with the Covered End’s top bit shut to the public in order to rid unsightly smoking stains from the men’s toilets. But this is a football game where Charlton should hope to progress, after all a significant payday in Round Four could await and that could be useful prior to the January transfer window slamming shut (copyright Jim White).

The Team

So much excitement has this tie generated, Charlton Lifers have been vigorously debating the team for days already but it’s anybody’s guess as to how the Addicks will line up. Post-Watford, Chris Powell explicitly stated that the league was the priority suggesting changes will happen on Saturday but Preview Towers does not envisage the swath many would expect. Forgotten man Matt Taylor is likely to line up alongside Dorian Dervite as Leon Cort, forced off at Vicarage Road, takes some time out alongside Michael Morrison who may well have an extra bit of rest. Hamer, Solly and Evina will be retained I’m sure.

With Frimpong-gone, Dale Stephens the subject of transfer interest from Aston Villa, Pritchard having run is little legs off and Johnnie Jackson not having much legs left the midfield could be the most difficult to guess (although lack of numbers in the centre would suggest two of three will have to start). Wilson is likely to continue on the right but I’d expect to see Kerkar on the left – Scott Wagstaff was on the bench against Watford also so could feature in some capacity.

Up front, shifts from Fuller and Kermorgant against the diving Hornets could see them rested and Bradley Wright-Phillips could get a rare start (he is unlikely to join a team in January who would be worried about him being cup tied). Ade Azeez, recalled from Wycombe could be a surprise inclusion to keep the first-teamers fresh for the league campaign.

Hamer
Solly Taylor Dervite Evina
Wagstaff Pritchard Jackson Kerkar
BWP Azeez

The Opposition

Huddersfield have not won in ten games since a 1-0 defeat of Barnsley back in December, conceding 22 goals in the process (with a 6-1 mauling at Leicester being their latest result). Guessing their team is pointless, so we won’t be doing that – but their form suggests that they are there for the taking and kick start a famous cup run for the Addicks…

Prediction

Charlton haven’t won at home on a Saturday all season. Shocking statistic. It will change though, and it will on Saturday. Those travelling are going to see an open game resulting in a 3-1 win to the Addicks.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    3-1 cafc ... mini cup-run (well, one game)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    In an effort to shake off the no wins on Saturday hoodoo I will be giving the Liberal Club a miss. It has gone down market anyway with the riff-raff they allow in these days. Radical Club for me as I renew my working men's club membership.

This will be a flipping great game with goals, goals and more goals. Most of them for the Reds. 5 - 2 to the addicks

Button
    Solly Dervite Morrison Evina
    Wagstaff Pritchard Jackson Kerker
    BWP Kermorgant

Expect to see some of Azeez, Fox, Harriot, Pope and Cousins on the bench
  • Options
    I'd like to see Button in goal and Hamer up front, he showed real class when he went up a few games ago.
  • Options
    Hoping for at least one cup win before my hopes of a cup run are ended for another season.(the life of a Charlton fan)

2 0 win for the mighty addicks.
  • Options
    7-6
  • Options
    It'll be tough. After a 6-1 hiding @ Leicester the Terriers pride will be hurt and they will give it a right good go.
    I hope that we put out a strong team, I would like to see a decent cup run for a change and to keep momentum.

Close game: CAFC 1 v Huddersfield Town 0 .... Hamer Solly Dervite Cort Evina, Green Pritchard Jackson Kerkar, Kermorgant Wright-Phillips
  • Options
    Not liking this optimism , guys and gals....

...although me & Mr F will be wearing our lucky robin socks from Santa which saw us gain 3 points at Vicarage Rd.
  • Options
    utter dirge played out in front of 3,763.

CP to play a strong team but every one of the starting 11 and our subs have to come off with hamstring injuries.

it will hammer down all day and the pies/pasties/burgers will be stone cold.

Stephens will be left out before his £1.50 transfer to Villa. Solly refuses to play stating he has become good friends with Mario Balotelli and that they are quitting football to form their own 2 piece jazz band called Sollytelli.

is that better Fanny?
  • Options
    I was thinking that with Powell resting players that it wont be much of a game but of course Huddersfield will be doing the same as they are by no means safe and will, like us, want to focus on the league. Therefore this could be a really good game for blooding a few who dont normally get a game; bwp could get in the shop window and grab a couple; wagstaff deserves a run-out (just hope he has been doing some body-building); Hulse should get a game ; even Cook to get a chunk of the game. Stephens needs to play to build up his confidence after some dire performances and mistakes; Taylor and Morrison to start; I would like to see Button play. Anyway lets make some noise despite the crowd defecit and continue that watford atmosphere. Its all about who wants this most and I really would like another awayday at a premiership club (minus the 4-0 result at Fulham) so come on you reds, you know you want it more!
  • Options
    Hulse doesn't play for us anymore mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Santas been and long gone for us to have a good cup run!
  • Options
    Forgot to add boring 1-0 win to udders
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Probably the most drab draw we could've got, having played them 7 times already since our relegation to L1 (the most of any club, I think).

It's either going to be a dull 0-0 with a Tuesday night replay that no-one wants, or a multiple-goal cracker. I have no idea which.
  • Options
    I'm betting on Sullivan in goal (unless I've missed him going out on loan again). I'd expect the rest to be fringe players and youth as far as possible. Don't think CP is interested in the cup.

I won't be there, as I signed up for a weekend course, so expect a classic high-scoring game that will be talked about for the next 50 years!
  • Options
    The last result we want. 1-1. Be surprised if the crowd tops 8,000.
  • Options
    Bothered?
  • Options
    I want to see Charlton have a decent cup run for a change.
    I can't understand those who say they are not bothered - the FA Cup is still a great competition and I've no doubt if we can make it through to round 5, then cup fever will kick in for all of us. Moreover it is a chance for the club to potentially pull in some extra revenue - which wouldn't go amiss, according to reports.
    Let's play a strong side, put in a good performance and build on the confidence from the Derby and Watford games.
    3-1.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

utter dirge played out in front of 3,763.

CP to play a strong team but every one of the starting 11 and our subs have to come off with hamstring injuries.

it will hammer down all day and the pies/pasties/burgers will be stone cold.

Stephens will be left out before his £1.50 transfer to Villa. Solly refuses to play stating he has become good friends with Mario Balotelli and that they are quitting football to form their own 2 piece jazz band called Sollytelli.

is that better Fanny?

By George, he's got it !!!

• Options
    Pre kick off dull fixture, dull atmosphere, poor gate. 6-5 victory, bwp double hat trick and drawn away to man u in the next round. Bring it on - in the wild west on saturday - gonna out any middle class mutes.
  • Options
    button
    solly dervite taylor evina
    wagstaff pritch jj kerkar
    bwp kermo
    1-2 cup dream over
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-2 defeat. Taylor to pull a goal back in the 89th minute.
  • Options
    losing 5-1 down to 10 men win 7-6
  • Options

I want to see Charlton have a decent cup run for a change.
    I can't understand those who say they are not bothered - the FA Cup is still a great competition and I've no doubt if we can make it through to round 5, then cup fever will kick in for all of us. Moreover it is a chance for the club to potentially pull in some extra revenue - which wouldn't go amiss, according to reports.
    Let's play a strong side, put in a good performance and build on the confidence from the Derby and Watford games.
    3-1.

Yep 5th round would be great now that we are settling into mid-table... as Curbs might have said ... every year a championship team gets to the semis so why not us!!!

• Options
    Impossible to predict as we have no ideas of the strength of either team. Can understand the apathy but hope we shed that before kick off. 0-0.
  • Options
    3-1 addicks...unable to do match thread this saturday as i'm away...@lancashirelad has agreed to stand-in for me this week. Cheers and heres
  • Options
    Charlton will win 3-1, BWP , Jackson + Late goal from Azeez when he comes on
  • Options
    nil nil gate 7000
    why to we even bother puting our number in the bag for the draw?

Use to love the FA Cup but puting the reserve team in and the "we have other priorities" have killed it for me.
  • Options
    0-0 or 4-3 for me.
  • Options
    Barring a distastous run we are unlikely to get relegated. It is also very unlikely we could challenge for a play off spot (or want to?). On that basis why shouldn't we put a strong side and go for a decent cup run/draw?
    I really can't understand the apathy by clubs shown to the FAC Cup
  • Options
    not sure I've ever felt so less enthused about a Saturday afternoon home game!!.....so much so, that I've got other things I don't mind doing tomorrow.

think we'll win 3-1