Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are we so c**p in the Cups?

Comments

• Options
    We should be banned from cup competitions or better yet not bloody enter. It's always a pisstake when the players never turn up year after year in the league cup or fa cup. I hope Huddersfield get a home draw against Man Utd or Liverpool. Hopefully it will make the board feel sick and bollock the managment team, and if its the board who aint fussed then more fool them.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    cafctom said:

Don't think you can judge the number of comments as a way of saying that the Cup still means a lot to people. If that was the case, then a lot of our support are gutted about being out of the Capital One cup after the panic on here when we lost to Orient.

Judge it on how many bother to go. As you can see, not many are really bothered.

Tom - I think redman has answered your point with his response below your comment. As he says, the reason people appear disinterested is year after year, the management (and players) just take the p**s by putting out below strength teams that send a clear message out "we're not bothered".

The question I'd put to you is why the hell aren't they bothered? Suppose we'd drawn Moan Utd away in the next round - our share of the gate receipts would be nearly a million pounds. Same sort of bananza if we drew one of the other big boys. Not bad money when supposedly we don't have a pot to p**s in.

Equally suppose we got a home draw against Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal etc. A full house would be assured, win, lose or draw it would be a great afternoon. And imagine if we actually won - would be great to be all over the back pages again.

Also, to get to the final you just need 5 wins. It's not impossible with a bit of luck in the draws eg look at the draws Smallwall had when they reached the Final. OK they made complete fools of themselves when they got there - not having a shot on target in 90 mins) - but I bet everyone of their supporters had a great day out.

No, its time for everyone at the club to wake up and stop this "cup not important" nonsense.
  • Options
    WSS said:

FA Cup Record:

Won 82, Lost 82, Drawn 48.
    Scored 307, Conceded 307.

Crap or just mediocre?

WSS - that's some interesting - and surprising - stats. But I just think it means you can get stats to prove anything.

Take for example the last year we had any sort of run - 10/11. We played 5 games that year - 2 wins after 2 draws against Barnet and Luton - before losing to Tottenham. So the stats for that one run show 4 undefeated games but only one loss.

So 4 seasons when we go out in the first round equate to those 4 undefeated ones in 10/11.

I hope you understand what I mean - I'm not sure I'm expressing it that clearly!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Furthemore in that unbeaten run of 4 games we were poor against a Conference side and the team bottom of L2 whom we struggled to get past after replays.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bit disappointed, the main thing is the league position. I don't think we would have progressed to the latter stages of the tournament. The only thing, which other people have mentioned is the revenue of a big tie. Yes we're c**p in cups but I would much rather have the main focus on the league.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thing is, a club of our size needs to aspire to winning lower league championships like last season - they are the equivalent of Man Utd winning the prem or champions league. It's all relative, not everyone can be uber-successful, and survival/making a profit is sometimes enough.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Heres the plan. lets get relegated and win the JPT! yayayayaayayy!

Does it matter? who actually gives a shit about the cups if it screws up our chances at a better league position.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Thing is, a club of our size needs to aspire to winning lower league championships like last season - they are the equivalent of Man Utd winning the prem or champions league. It's all relative, not everyone can be uber-successful, and survival/making a profit is sometimes enough.

Danny - Believe me, after 45 years of supporting Charlton, I'm under no illusions about the relative size of our club! (For example, not expecting to make the Champions League before I pop off!) But just look at some of the clubs who have made a FA Cup Final or League Cup Final in recent years - Cardiff, Millwall, Birmingham, Wigan, Bolton, Middlesbro (and if you go back a bit further Tranmere!) Do you really think any of those clubs are much bigger than us?

No-one supports Charlton to be a glory hunter. But honestly, surely we should be aiming a little higher than the Division 1 Championship?
  • Options
    Are we still in the Kent cup? If so think we should go all out to win it.
  • Options
    sralan said:

Are we still in the Kent cup? If so think we should go all out to win it.

Yep,Herne Bay here we come :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wycombe have made two recent cup semi finals .
  • Options
    Don't worry about it!
  • Options
    Has it become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Rubbish cup history > lack of enthusiasm > low expectations > poor support > crap atmosphere > lacklustre performance > defeat > repeat cycle, ad infinitum >
  • Options
    What came first though Stig? I remember early 70s we only had three games (one draw) in a run to the 4th round at Highbury) and the support home and away was very good for all 3. It is the virtual certainty of suffering a huge disappointment so soon after the festivities that has underwritten the fans' sense of indifference. The only way to break the cycle is for the team to deliver a run like 1994 (even then it was only really the QF that captured the imagination).
  • Options

cafctom said:

Don't think you can judge the number of comments as a way of saying that the Cup still means a lot to people. If that was the case, then a lot of our support are gutted about being out of the Capital One cup after the panic on here when we lost to Orient.

Judge it on how many bother to go. As you can see, not many are really bothered.

Tom - I think redman has answered your point with his response below. As he says, the reason people appear disinterested is year after year, the management (and players) just take the p**s by putting out below strength teams that send a clear message out "we're not bothered".

The question I'd put to you is why the hell aren't they bothered? Suppose we'd drawn Moan Utd away in the next round - our share of the gate receipts would be nearly a million pounds. Same sort of bananza if we drew one of the other big boys. Not bad money when supposedly we don't have a pot to p**s in.

Equally suppose we got a home draw against Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal etc. A full house would be assured, win, lose or draw it would be a great afternoon. And imagine if we actually won - would be great to be all over the back pages again.

Also, to get to the final you just need 5 wins. It's not impossible with a bit of luck in the draws eg look at the draws Smallwall had when they reached the Final. OK they made complete fools of themselves when they got there - not having a shot on target in 90 mins) - but I bet everyone of their supporters had a great day out.

No, its time for everyone at the club to wake up and stop this "cup not important" nonsense.
    This sums it up.

Had a millwall fan on my back taking the piss out of us via today's defeat, I pretended I didn't care by saying we are not going to win it we might aswell be out of it early.

Not what I believed. A cup run is great and can really lighten a season.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Cardiff lost to Macclesfield letting in two late goals , I'm sure their fans are gutted but given the choice of an FA Cup semi or final appearance(they've done at least one recently??) Or promotion to the prem I'm sure they'd take promotion but they've had their cup experience recently
    What would we take given the opportunity?
    I'd take promotion , solly Nolly
  • Options
    Our F A Cup record of 82 wins and 83 losses is misleading. Our record in the last forty years is worse and when you add League Cups (and JPT etc) our overall cup performance is truly abysmal. If you also consider we have spent most of that time in the top two divisions and the average opponents are lower league opposition, it gets worse still. Bottom line is that our club and managers are no longer interested in progressing, so why should we bother paying to watch it?
  • Options
    Were prioritising the fa youth cup this year.
  • Options
    Mrbacon said:

That performance was unacceptable, only just came in from today's journey from SE7 and I have to say that is the most half arsed display I've seen from a Charlton side in quite some time. Blinding result against Watford so just play the same team. Yes I know the possibility of injuries and what not and it gives fringe players a chance. But I for one love the FA cup and I think we should field our best 11, we could do with the revenue as well.

Agree with this,also winning becomes a habit and if we would have won yesterday we would be going into Saturdays game in a better frame of mind.Our form at the Valley is appalling,we have played fifteen games in all Competitions and won three times.

• Options

And the Kent Senior Cup :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I will say for the 1900th time there is no point if a club our size never comes anywhere near winning anything . Teams like Leicester with there carling cups and teams who get into finals are taken serious . We go in the top league on occasion and when we do we trundle along . Fucking have a cup Run you drips
  • Options

And the Kent Senior Cup :)

Dont bring
    back the peoples cup, were undefeated in it so far.

• Options

I thought your thinking was that we have a 0% chance of promotion? As it's not on offer, surely you'd like a little cup adventure? As someone said, what's the point of professional football if you aren't going to try and be the best that you can? I think Cardiff fans will feel like we did after the mighty Northwich knocked us out only at least they have tasted Wembley recently and for them, promotion is a realistic opportunity so they can legitimately "concentrate on the league" this season.
  • Options

Cardiff lost to Macclesfield letting in two late goals , I'm sure their fans are gutted but given the choice of an FA Cup semi or final appearance(they've done at least one recently??) Or promotion to the prem I'm sure they'd take promotion but they've had their cup experience recently
    What would we take given the opportunity?

But
    a) Cardiff have had lots of recent cup success recently. Their fans aren't starved of cup success like ours are. Charlton fans only go to Wembley to see concerts.
    b) They are in a really good position for promotion. We're in lower mid table mediocrity.
  • Options
    I'd rather have our last 15 years than Cardiff's.
  • Options
    I just thought up an excuse that even i don't believe, we don't worry about getting to Wembley as we have already played in and won the greatest football match to ever be played there.

There you go settled.... or not.
  • Options
    Oh and i would take a cup final this season over promotion if i could have one of the choices.
  • Options
    That's mental
  • Options
    WSS said:

This all day long
    I mean by the sounds of it some of you would take millwalls last 10-20-30-40-50-60 years cos they've got to a cup final paaaaah
  • Options
    WSS said:

I'd rather have Cardiff's last 5 years though...