Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are we so c**p in the Cups?

Comments

• Options

I'd take promotion , solly Nolly

I thought your thinking was that we have a 0% chance of promotion? As it's not on offer, surely you'd like a little cup adventure?

Hi pathetically speaking
    Promo all the way for me
  • Options
    As enjoyable as a Cup run would be and definitely the possibilty of Europe is a massive incentive

Imo NO CUP FINAL will match the feelings/pleasure/stress we went thru in The Play Off Final v Sunderland or the Leeds Play Off Final replay @ St. Andrews
  • Options
    Well that's you and many charlton fans personal view the bigger picture is as a club we achieve very little comparing to clubs are size .
  • Options
    The fact your comparing a game at st Andrews to keep us up to a major cup final is very troubling also
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Depending on the draw, for a club our size, our win record should be greater than the loss tally. Say you get knocked out of the cup in round 5 and we entered at round 3....that's 2 wins 1 loss for the year.
  • Options

I thought your thinking was that we have a 0% chance of promotion? As it's not on offer, surely you'd like a little cup adventure?

Hi pathetically speaking
    Promo all the way for me

That answer WAS a bit pathetic to be honest. Promo all the way for you even though there is a 0% chance of it happening (according to you). Odd.

Never mind, it's all about opinions isn't it. You're entitled to yours. Best wishes for the rest of 2013
  • Options
    i think there's a 0% chance of a cup adventure as well

i think there's a 0% chance of me shagging Claudia Schiffer doesn't mean i don't want it to happen !!

our cup form is abysmal and we'd all love the lift of a decent cup run , i remember the m'boro 1/4 final and what might have been , the years in the prem were the big missed opportunity
  • Options
    nolly said:

The fact your comparing a game at st Andrews to keep us up to a major cup final is very troubling also

not many felt that experience 1,500 Addicks out of a near 20k gate but that was an unbelieveable night Nolls !
  • Options
    I was there it was . Also let me make one thing clear though disappointed with us in . Millwalls history is truly shocking .
  • Options
    we all know for a cup run you need a bit of a personality and well it's just not us is it , so we gotta carry on our merry way till the personality gods shine back down on us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I will never stop believing .
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    My Dad and I have attended just about every cup game at home for two decades but yesterday he promised that he would not support the club in these games again after they played another reserve side.

I didn't feel as strongly as he did but I do get his point.

I don't know where it started, nor do I care, but we now have a situation where the fans, the players and the managers just don't care about the cups anymore. We lost to Orient with a reserve side back in August and no one batted an eyelid.

The only issue as far as I can see is the rubbish PR that is spouted every year about genuinely wanting to have a cup run. This is, almost certainly, put out to boost the attendances which will continue to dwindle each year until the club play the first team and really, really, try to win these games.

I'm not blaming anyone, but even for the reduced price of £15 I felt as though the club overcharged for what could have been regarded as a reserve team. I know there where a few first team players on show, but that's not the point, there were players on show that are never going to get near the first team - Taylor was captain and hasn't started a game since August.

As I say I'm not blaming anyone, but until the club demonstrate that we really want to win these games (and I'm not saying that they should, by the way) the fans are going to turn their back on the League and FA Cup.

In the end we'll only need to open one block in the West stand, and we won't fill that either. I suspect that if the option was offered and the fans were polled we would choose to just not enter any of the cup competitions at all, and that says it all really.
  • Options
    if we ever get there Nolly you should lift the Cup for us
    still can't forget that memorable Full Members Cup Final Day day back at Wembley in 1987 when the hordes of Charlton fans left completely distraught at having seen Blackburn, of all teams, turn up with more fans than us ;-)
  • Options

I'm not blaming anyone, but even for the reduced price of £15 I felt as though the club overcharged for what could have been regarded as a reserve team.

I think , Airman pointed out a few weeks back, that the FA rules regarding pricing for tickets is that £15 is a minimum that can be charged for these fixtures
  • Options

Cardiff lost to Macclesfield letting in two late goals , I'm sure their fans are gutted but given the choice of an FA Cup semi or final appearance(they've done at least one recently??) Or promotion to the prem I'm sure they'd take promotion but they've had their cup experience recently
    What would we take given the opportunity?

Why do they have to choose? Bradford are pushing for promotion and are in the Semis of the Capital One cup. These are professional athletes, 5 extra games a season doesn't mean the league campaign automatically goes to pot

• Options
    Agree with exiled addick scp wont be too upset with going out the cup .a good cup run wont keep him his job if we Get relegated .most managers these days will think like this.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    i know Croydon i'm 'just' saying

Maybe Bradford would be better than 8th in League 2 if their eye wasn't on the cup , maybe they'd be lower without the moral of the cup run , who knows

Leeds had a decent cup run and their league form fell apart in our first season in League one but they still managed to go up automatically

Clearly the management at Charlton don't wanna risk all our top players and imo that's understandable because we could still get dragged in to a relegation battle, small chance that it could happen

• Options
    Personality to have a cup Run . How right you are oooah
  • Options
    Anyway at least we have our derby wins to keep us happy ....
  • Options
    When did the fa cup start going downhill
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    is Watford a derby ??
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2013
    Croydon said:

Cardiff lost to Macclesfield letting in two late goals , I'm sure their fans are gutted but given the choice of an FA Cup semi or final appearance(they've done at least one recently??) Or promotion to the prem I'm sure they'd take promotion but they've had their cup experience recently
    What would we take given the opportunity?

Why do they have to choose? Bradford are pushing for promotion and are in the Semis of the Capital One cup. These are professional athletes, 5 extra games a season doesn't mean the league campaign automatically goes to pot

So what you're really saying is, is sack Powell and get Parky back.

• Options
    Palace mate . The big one
  • Options
    nolly said:

now you're talking , let the build up begin
  • Options
    Palace away is our cup final this season , i hope our players and fans are up for it.
  • Options

nolly said:

now you're talking , let the build up begin
    Will you be allowed out?
  • Options

WSS said:

I'd rather have our last 15 years than Cardiff's.

I'd rather have Cardiff's last 5 years though...
    I'd rather be a Charlton fan than a Cardiff fan though...

• Options
    I agree with the OP - and I wish I knew the answer. It isn't just the FA Cup that we've been consistently poor in, in the League cup we've had an even worse record. I thought the one bright spark from getting relegated to L1 might mean a chance to win the JPT, even when we were streets ahead of the rest of L1 and by definition the best team in the lower two divisions we still managed to screw it up.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

When did the fa cup start going downhill

When the F.A started messing with the format. ( round about the time United pulled out to play in the world club championship)
  • Options
    For me the FA started to lose importance when the amount of TV money in the premiership started increasing. Even teams in the Europa Cup/UEFA cup have started putting out weak sides to save their best players for the premiership.