Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WHY CANT WAGGY GET A GAME IN THIS SIDE???????????

Comments

• Options

Don't think Waggy is up to the Champ but he is 10 times the player Kerkar is and will always get my support as every time he is picked he gives 100% whichis all you can ask of any player. Sadly you don't get it that often in modern footy and this is why we were so fortunate last season to have a full squad of similar type players.

To suggest he is 10 times the player Kerkar is is ludicrous. They are comparable and Kerkar is definitely a better left-midfielder than Wagstaff.

And no 100% is not all you can ask of any player. This isn't Sunday league. These boys are getting paid to play, they are professionals and they therefore need to have some ability. Wagstaff isn't good enough. Its a shame as hes a nice bloke and everybody would love to see him do well, but he simply isn't good enough at football to play at this level.

He's also played over 100 games for the club. Far, far more chances than most get to prove themselves.
  • Options
    Oh well.....he took his chance.....Well done Scott!!!!!...........
  • Options
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    Well done Scotty! Well pleased for him.
  • Options
    Chris Powell reads Charlton Life SHOCK!
  • Options
    Well done scotty nice to see him back in first team and taylor too :)
  • Options
    Waggy had a decent game, but he is limited at this level. He knows where the goal is and a useful squad player. I was pleased for him as he deserved a game and did his bit - I still don't expect him to get too many games though.
  • Options
    Limited at this level?....one game.one goal.......more games needed....I hope he gets them!
  • Options
    He's no more "limited" than Green or Kerkar (and I imagine Cook, not seen much of him). Wagstaff is superior to all 3 of them off the ball - gets into far more goalscoring positions, offers better/more movement, he's always closing down (like Pritchard) and tracks back well.

Can say he only offers effort and lacks quality, but look how much better we are with Pritchard in the team (who isn't a technical player himself, and certainly a worse finisher than Wagstaff).

It's not what everyone wants to see or expects from a winger, but I think it'll be more effective at this level than the occasional good game from Green or Kerkar. We'll also get far more out of Jackson and Stephens with players like Wagstaff, Pritchard and Wilson around them.

With the players we have at the moment we can't out pass teams, we have to out work them and be difficult to beat.
  • Options
    Wagstaff and Jackson are two of the best finishers at the club. They don't miss many chances. Perhaps Wagstaff will crop up un-marked in the box more often if he plays left midfield....like John Robinson, Nick Bailey and Jackson have done in the past. Also if he moves inside, it will leave room for Evina or Wiggins to over-lap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We all love a player with stand out ability, a player who can produce sublime skills.
    Even if we had one, they can be hard to fit into a team, unless you build the team around them.

Often more consistantly effective is the team player, with good movement and willing to close down opponents - yet can still change a game with a run or goal out of nothing.

With our current limited resources, Chris Powell has been trying to put out a team greater than the sum of it's parts.
    Very Curbs.

And Waggy fits into that ethos.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Don't think Waggy is up to the Champ but he is 10 times the player Kerkar is and will always get my support as every time he is picked he gives 100% whichis all you can ask of any player. Sadly you don't get it that often in modern footy and this is why we were so fortunate last season to have a full squad of similar type players.

To suggest he is 10 times the player Kerkar is is ludicrous. They are comparable and Kerkar is definitely a better left-midfielder than Wagstaff.

And no 100% is not all you can ask of any player. This isn't Sunday league. These boys are getting paid to play, they are professionals and they therefore need to have some ability. Wagstaff isn't good enough. Its a shame as hes a nice bloke and everybody would love to see him do well, but he simply isn't good enough at football to play at this level.

He's also played over 100 games for the club. Far, far more chances than most get to prove themselves.
    Didn't say it was Sunday League. Wagy may be getting paid to play but he can't play better than his ability allows...my point is that Waggy does not pick himself in the side and therefore I think all you can ask of a player is that if selected by the manager they give their all, 100%. And it is my opinion that Waggy is 10 times the player of Kerkar, not because Waggy is great but because Kerkar is dross.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Wasn't it Lawrie McMenemy who said of his Southampton team that finished runners up in the top tier:
    "I need 9 virtuoso and 2 roadsweepers in my teams".

No matter what people think about Waggy's ability, if he makes a vital contribution that enables the team to perform better, then he's doing his job.

Even if that's roadsweeper.

(sorry, Waggs)

;o)
  • Options
    Don't understand all this questioning wagstaffs ability. He has pace, a great attitude, great work rate, good movement, a good football brain, links up well with teammates and is a threat. Just because he doesn't do step overs or have a daft haircut doesn't Megan he doesn't have ability. Give me his attributes over others perceived ability to whip in a dangerous cross every day of the week.
  • Options
    Well said BD...............
  • Options
    Well if he could run rings around full backs and cross like Beckham, he'd be playing for Barcelona not Charlton! Anyone who can remember a young Johnny Robinson would know that in his early Charlton career he was full of running, had a great attitude and always gave 100%, but was not a great winger in terms of beating the full back. In later seasons however he improved dramatically. Talk to Paddy Powell and he will tell you that he didn't develop the knack of beating his full back until he was 24-25. Wingers take time to mature and gain consistency. In the meantime we should be grateful that Waggy is a tremendous athlete with a great shot and an eye for goal. He also loves the club and never gives less than 100%. There would be few teams in this division that could match the collective running of Waggy, Pritchard and Wilson.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it isn't possible Waggy could develop like Robbo, but it isn't guaranteed, All he can do is make the most of his chances - some will fancy him more than others though.
  • Options
    "I’ve been here since I was eight and I will always give 100 per cent"

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130114-wagstaff-596641.aspx?pageView=full#anchored
  • Options

Don't understand all this questioning wagstaffs ability. He has pace, a great attitude, great work rate, good movement, a good football brain, links up well with teammates and is a threat. Just because he doesn't do step overs or have a daft haircut doesn't Megan he doesn't have ability. Give me his attributes over others perceived ability to whip in a dangerous cross every day of the week.

Spot on.
  • Options
    Waggy is a typical charlton player - gives so much effort but lacks technical ability. I like him and he adds pace to a very slow team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2013
    cs1986 said:

Waggy is a typical charlton player - gives so much effort but lacks technical ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuxOdwCJ39Y
  • Options
    WSS said:

cs1986 said:

Waggy is a typical charlton player - gives so much effort but lacks technical ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuxOdwCJ39Y
    What's that mate can't play it on my phone.
  • Options
    Goal against Bournemouth, enough technical ability there!

Like Jacko, I think he just has that knack of scoring goals despite not appearing to do much else. Those types of players can be invaluable.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Goal against Bournemouth, enough technical ability there!

Like Jacko, I think he just has that knack of scoring goals despite not appearing to do much else. Those types of players can be invaluable.

Dale Stephens scored that goal :-)
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2013
    It was definitely Wagstaff

Edit: Ah yes, I remember the press giving it to Dale. :-)
  • Options
    Gotta deserve the bench at least . How many players we got can come on and make a difference. Always a goal threat and 100% commited.
  • Options
    Now, now everyone calm down.

Granted he has had a good game and will no doubt be in the next starting line up at blackburn.
    But he will need to perform like that each and every game to hold onto a place in the side.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    He's been given a role in the team that suits him.

Not a conventional winger, playing on his wrong side and told to defend and attack the left sided midfield space.
    Enables him to cut inside and use his stronger right foot.

Tracks and covers well, allowing the naturally left footed Evina to bomb down the outside.

It's his ability to press and pressure opponents which he did so well against Blackpool, although some have dismissed that as just running around a lot.

He certainly made a difference in our taking the game to Blackpool.

• Options
    Would we have won that game if Kerkar or Cook had played left mid instead of Waggy?
  • Options
    Waggy definitely deserves a run in the team, when you consider our current squad, and who else we have to play in attacking roles, as he adds a bit of pace to the team, and (like Jackson) will get you goals, as both players instinctively find themselves in good attacking positions.