Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Magic Of The F.A. CUP.

Have we lost the magic of the F.A. Cup?

Been apparent over the years that some clubs would rather field a reserve team than put out a first team due to other commitments.

Would it now be an idea to look at maybe allowing teams from Scotland,Wales and Ireland to be able to enter the competition.

This i feel would add more interest and bring back some much needed life into the competition, it's slowly being marginalised and slipping down the list of Priorities. Would certainly make an interesting draw.

Comments

• Options
    Hmm.
    4th round draw Charlton v Cowdenbeath, can't see it catching on.

How about Total Network Solutions away ?
  • Options
    Bring back the home internationals 1st in my book.
    30,000 rod stewart wannabees every 2 years would help to boost the London economy (if you sell Tennants extra in large cans)
  • Options
    Liverpool are so keen to win that Suarez cheated the Non Leaguers out of it....hard to buy class like that! Lol
  • Options
    There's still magic in the FA cup - we seem to do a very good disappearing act every year for example.

As for inviting the Scots and Welsh clubs in, I can see why they might like that but why would we? Once the novelty wears off could you really see attendances improving if , for example, Exeter drew Inverness?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd prefer it if we could draw teams in Europe as well as England , could be / would be our only chance of getting into Europe.

Set the prize money at £1 million for a win from the 3rd round onwards , i'm sure we'd put out a full strength team then.
  • Options
    Brentford could get Chelsea at home if they win their replay. What a draw that is for them! West London derby!
  • Options

I'd prefer it if we could draw teams in Europe as well as England , could be / would be our only chance of getting into Europe.

Set the prize money at £1 million for a win from the 3rd round onwards , i'm sure we'd put out a full strength team then.

£1m win bonus per game ? There'd be about 200 games in the early rounds !
  • Options
    Could be two Welsh sides in the Premier league next season if Cardiff get promoted.

Don't know untill you try it, i think it could work. Chelsea vs Brentford is great but what team will Chelsea put out?
  • Options

Bring back the home internationals 1st in my book.
    30,000 rod stewart wannabees every 2 years would help to boost the London economy (if you sell Tennants extra in large cans)

14th August at Wembley.....
  • Options
    Could it be that relegation is such a financial disaster that playing a reserve team and going out of the cup is preferebal to injuries and getting relegated?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me the magic vanishes from about the 4th round onwards. The tie between Wimbledon and MK Dons this year was pretty monumental.

As for ITV billing West Ham vs Man U as the "tie of the third round"...who can get genuinely excited about something like that? Why would they? It's a regular Prem game.

It just seems as though each time the Cup comes around there are more and more publicly stated reasons as to why people don't want it:

- Replays cause us fixture congestion
    - We don't want injuries
    - The prize doesn't provide much money

Even when the little team draws the big team, all that seems to come up is "ooh, we can make some good money from that!".....If that's what the main attraction is for the smaller clubs these days, then yes the magic of the cup that was once there is now gone.

The closer it gets to the Final, the more tedious the tournament seems to be. Did Chelsea fans go absolutely nuts with excitement when they got to the final last year? No, probably not. They were happy of course but it pales in insignificance to two more important competitions.

And for crying out loud, take the Semi Finals away from Wembley. That for me is one of the ultimate sins of English Football.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

For me the magic vanishes from about the 4th round onwards. The tie between Wimbledon and MK Dons this year was pretty monumental.

As for ITV billing West Ham vs Man U as the "tie of the third round"...who can get genuinely excited about something like that? Why would they? It's a regular Prem game.

It just seems as though each time the Cup comes around there are more and more publicly stated reasons as to why people don't want it:

- Replays cause us fixture congestion
    - We don't want injuries
    - The prize doesn't provide much money

Even when the little team draws the big team, all that seems to come up is "ooh, we can make some good money from that!".....If that's what the main attraction is for the smaller clubs these days, then yes the magic of the cup that was once there is now gone.

The closer it gets to the Final, the more tedious the tournament seems to be. Did Chelsea fans go absolutely nuts with excitement when they got to the final last year? No, probably not. They were happy of course but it pales in insignificance to two more important competitions.

And for crying out loud, take the Semi Finals away from Wembley. That for me is one of the ultimate sins of English Football.

Good post.
  • Options
    It's gone the way of the league cup! The football league is the only thing that matters! And that is down to the money that is available from the EPL! It's a crying shame!
  • Options
    It's complicated. It is difficult getting excited about a competition that we can't really win. Of course we can win it, it's technically possible, but very, very unlikely.

I went on Saturday, I believed CP when he said he was genuinely going to try to win the game. I've fallen for that many times and I have to say that dropping Jackson, Morrison and Solly indicated, to me, that we weren't, genuinely, trying to win it.

If we'd been playing Sheffield Wednesday, a team that is likely to be involved in the relegation battle until April at least, on Saturday, I believe we would not have seen the same team.

I get that the tickets are cheaper, but for all season ticket holders this does not constitute a cheap visit to The Valley as our seats are already paid for normally. To ask fans that don't pay an entrance fee all season to stump up 50% more than the cinema to watch a reserve team play is going to drive the attendances down.

I probably won't go next season unless we draw a team that I believe will (a) generate a big enough crowd for an atmosphere and (b) generate enough interest that we will see the first team play.

As it happens the draw for the 4th round is, amazingly, less inspiring than the 3rd round, so I'm happy to be out of the competition.

Ironically I was particularly looking forward to Saturday's game because I could really relax and enjoy it safe in the knowledge that if we lost it wouldn't bother me. Now I'm glad we did lose.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Devalued: 3rd Round day used to be my highlight of the football season, but I think when the FA decided to allow the competition to be sponsored it has devalued it, its just another "League Cup" thats worth winning if you can actually be bothered to progress through the competition.

Attendances: Disrespectful managers team selection affects attendances which ultimately means parts of the ground are closed resulting in no atmosphere. If the managers dont take the games seriously then how can they expect the fans to.

Tv: Why show Swansea v Arsenal and West Ham v United, those games do not represent the magic of the cup. Surely Luton v Wolves and Macclesfield v Cardiff were stand out fixtures, the results proved that.
    Also why allow ESPN to show matches, that channel hardly shows any football for 12.99 a month so most people didnt even see yesterdays games unless you could be bothered to go to the pub.

Charlton: For games like Saturdays, put Charlton fans in the JSS and put the away fans in the lower north where there's no atmosphere, at least it gives us a chance to create some sort of atmosphere - that decision would not affect policing/stewarding if the north upper is closed. Its just "like for like" ...but we get the better of it.

Took my son on Saturday, fortunately i don't think he is traumatised long term but curious to know from East Stand regulars whether the view from the side makes us look even worse when we are bad ..and likewise is it pretty good when we play well. I used to stand on the East when i was a kid and I don't harbour any bad memories from games we lost so hopefully he will do the same.
  • Options
    Also can anyone explain the mentality of a managers disrespectful team selection when there is potentially huge money at stake from a place in the 4th Round. Huddersfield represented equal opposition from the Championship - not a non league side which you could understand making changes for.

We could been drawn against Utd, City, Chelsea etc at the Valley in round 4 with 27,000+, tv money, raise the profile of the club etc. Surely if the club needs money then try and win the game at all costs.

...all good reasons to play your strongest team surely ?

• Options
    Choice said:

We could been drawn against Utd, City, Chelsea etc at the Valley in round 4 with 27,000+, tv money, raise the profile of the club etc. Surely if the club needs money then try and win the game at all costs.

So you potentially gamble a season for 1 fixture that may not (and didnt) happen ?.
    If people are so obsessed with facing one of the top 3, why not support someone else ?

• Options
    shine166 said:

Choice said:

So you potentially gamble a season for 1 fixture that may not (and didnt) happen ?.
    If people are so obsessed with facing one of the top 3, why not support someone else ?

Gambling a season? On one cup game? It would be unfortunate if we were to play a full team and end up getting two or three long term injuries from it, highly unlikely though and it could happen at any given time.

Yes it would definitely be worth it.
  • Options
    I guess it could be looked upon that we are still not out of the promotion race (a very open division) and the reward would be far far greater than a run in the FA cup or even to win it. I'm afraid football is all about money these days.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    cafctom said:

shine166 said:

Choice said:

Gambling a season? On one cup game? It would be unfortunate if we were to play a full team and end up getting two or three long term injuries from it, highly unlikely though and it could happen at any given time.

Yes, gambling a season have you seen our injury record this season ? Hamer or solly out long term and our season would be pretty much finished. Id rather chase league security than 1 game against a Premier league team. At the end of the day, a couple of decent seasons and we could be playing all those great teams everyone here seems to be so desperate for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

Choice said:

Yes, gambling a season have you seen our injury record this season ? Hamer or solly out long term and our season would be pretty much finished. Id rather chase league security than 1 game against a Premier league team. At the end of the day, a couple of decent seasons and we could be playing all those great teams everyone here seems to be so desperate for.
    So losing either our right back or (even more bizarrely) our goalkeeper would mean that our season is finished? Righto. Both very good players of course, but neither are going to keep us in the division/get us promoted alone are they?

Long term injuries to Yann, Wiggins and Fuller haven't exactly seen our season 'finish' have they?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

shine166 said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

Choice said:

So losing either our right back or (even more bizarrely) our goalkeeper would mean that our season is finished? Righto. Both very good players of course, but neither are going to keep us in the division/get us promoted alone are they?

Long term injuries to Yann, Wiggins and Fuller haven't exactly seen our season 'finish' have they?
    If you cant see how much Hamer brings to the team then its pointless me even bothering. We have no midfield and strikers that cant score because of this, take away the defence and its game over.
  • Options
    a lot of fans saying Button seems like a capable replacement
  • Options
    shine166 said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

Choice said:

If you cant see how much Hamer brings to the team then its pointless me even bothering. We have no midfield and strikers that cant score because of this, take away the defence and its game over.
    Hamer's a great goalkeeper, but that's all he is - a goalkeeper. David Button is also a good goalkeeper - maybe not the same quality as Hamer but enough so that our season could continue against any otherwise impending doom thrown in its direction.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

shine166 said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

Choice said:

Hamer's a great goalkeeper, but that's all he is - a goalkeeper. David Button is also a good goalkeeper - maybe not the same quality as Hamer but enough so that our season could continue against any otherwise impending doom thrown in its direction.
    Ever heard the expression 'the keeper kept us in it ' ? because as an example thats what he did against Derby, without Hamer we would have lost and thats a fact. If Button is not for off then im sure we will be fine
  • Options
    I forgot the final was on last year, to be honest - what with it being League 1 trophy day and having a stag do before and after the game, completely got lost on me until I saw the score on Sky Sports News in the pub later.

Compare that to the old 'FA Cup Final Day' they used to have.
  • Options

I forgot the final was on last year, to be honest - what with it being League 1 trophy day and having a stag do before and after the game, completely got lost on me until I saw the score on Sky Sports News in the pub later.

Didn't even watch the final last year, busy doing a pub crawl around Greenwich after the Hartlepool game.
  • Options
    There must have been some good that came out of Saturdays fixture if not the result?
  • Options

I think a lot of this is down to tv coverage in general though. Nowadays you can watch a live tv game on pretty much any day of the week, whereas back in the old days the cup final was one of only a few games shown during an entire season. So naturally it was the highlight of the season whereas now it's just another game.