Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Magic Of The F.A. CUP.

Comments

• Options
    Semi finals at wembley and the fact that the final is played before the league ends, ruined it abit for some reason, sort of de-valued it.
  • Options
    Everything jimmy said
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Semi finals at wembley and the fact that the final is played before the league ends, ruined it abit for some reason, sort of de-valued it.

Is that you thinking for yourself or just repeating what you hear everyone else saying? I know that's a bit rude but all this shit really gets my back up.

I mean, did anyone in 1948 say 'the ball didn't burst this year - the cup's losing it's magic a bit?'
    OR in 1923 ' I'm not sure about this Wembley experience - it was much better at the Palace.'
    OR in 1911 'this new trophy devalues the tradition of the FA Cup a bit for me'
    OR in 1901: 'Fancy a non-league team winning the FA Cup. It must be because Preston played a weakened team in the first round replay. That definitely devalues it for me'.

The FA Cup has always changed. Stop wanting everything to always stay the same. Is it devalued because the ice cream van doesn't come down the street during the match FFS?

• Options
    Sorry about the apostrophe in its. Absolute shocker.
  • Options

Tut tut !
    Seriously think since the semi's at Wembley is wrong, and the last game of the season should be the Final. IMO.

• Options

Tut tut !
    Seriously think since the semi's at Wembley is wrong, and the last game of the season should be the Final. IMO.

Actually I agree. But do such details really ruin it. The venue of FA Cup semi finals has always chnaged over the years. The first FA Cup semi-final to be played at Wembley was 22 years ago. Isn't it time to get used to it?
  • Options

The FA Cup has always changed. Stop wanting everything to always stay the same.

Things do change and the FA Cups importance hasn't stayed the same
    no matter how many of us remember misty eyed the long saturdays of years gone by with film cameras on the coach and the pre wembley build up and the seasons finale being a massive day out
    Clubs and fans thru the changing shape of our game have differing views on it , hence crowds are nowhere near what they used to be in relative terms
    We were getting 4-5k when we played a first division Watford in the eighties, including Barnes and Blisset and I'm sure there was around 20k with about 4/5k of Watford there and that was a massive game for us as a second division side , we'd just about get that if we drew Fulham in the cup and our home crowds are 4 times bigger nowadays
    Things will eventually change and the cup may become more or less important
  • Options

Tut tut !

Actually I agree. But do such details really ruin it. The venue of FA Cup semi finals has always chnaged over the years. The first FA Cup semi-final to be played at Wembley was 22 years ago. Isn't it time to get used to it?
    I think what really ruins it, is that for financial reasons it is no longer the most important cup to win for many teams.

Europe/survival/promotion/survival/promotion/survival/promotion/survival trump it for many & hence it is an afterthought at best & an inconvenience at worst.

Sad indeed.
  • Options
    The FA Cup is a great competition but has been wrecked by several factors....

1] Premiership survival becoming the be-all-and-end-all so many teams don't want to 'risk' an FAC run. That was unthinkable in the 80's when Brighton got to the final and were still relegated.

2] The ridiculous amount of live football screened on TV, growing up in the 1980's the FAC Final was THE game of the year and you looked forward to it for weeks no matter who was in it.

The sheer fact of seeing a live match was thrilling in itself and it seemed like a major event if only for that reason.

3] The over-use of Wembley: Back in the 1980's the only way you could ever get to play on the hallowed turf was to play for England or get to an FAC or LC Final. That was it.

Now, you have so many other games at Wembley that its really just another League stadium, you have England games, Three Play-Off Finals, JPT Final, FACF, LCF and criminally even FAC semi-finals there.
  • Options
    3rd+ FA Cup makes its debut.
    There may or may not be a new FA Cup winner on Saturday, but there will be a shiny new trophy, as the current edition - hoisted aloft in the past 22 finals - has been retired.

Hull City, in a first final, or 10-times winners Arsenal, will lift only the third edition of this iconic cup, designed over a century ago in 1911.

The Football Association is retiring the current cup due to wear and tear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Barcelona v Atletico Madrid kicks off at the same time as the Cup Final 5pm
    Think I'll be skipping the Cup Final

Why the FA Cup isn't kicking off at 3 pm I can't understand
  • Options

Because when ITV bought the rites they demanded the evening KO as they can secure far more advertising revenue for an evening match than an afternoon one. That deal was done before Dyke took over the FA but he is on record since his appointment supporting the switch. As a former TV executive his stance comes as no surprise, just disappointing.
  • Options

1] Premiership survival becoming the be-all-and-end-all so many teams don't want to 'risk' an FAC run. That was unthinkable in the 80's when Brighton got to the final and were still relegated.

2] The ridiculous amount of live football screened on TV, growing up in the 1980's the FAC Final was THE game of the year and you looked forward to it for weeks no matter who was in it.

The sheer fact of seeing a live match was thrilling in itself and it seemed like a major event if only for that reason.

3] The over-use of Wembley: Back in the 1980's the only way you could ever get to play on the hallowed turf was to play for England or get to an FAC or LC Final. That was it.

Now, you have so many other games at Wembley that its really just another League stadium, you have England games, Three Play-Off Finals, JPT Final, FACF, LCF and criminally even FAC semi-finals there.

Who are the current FA Cup holders ?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    se9addick said:

Don't muck about I'll give a clue they've got a pier and it's not Blackpool or Brighton :-)
  • Options

Hasn't kicked off at three for a number of years has it?

It's at 5PM for exactly the same reason Barcelona v Atletico is at 5PM...
  • Options

Dave2l said:

Is that you thinking for yourself or just repeating what you hear everyone else saying? I know that's a bit rude but all this shit really gets my back up.

I mean, did anyone in 1948 say 'the ball didn't burst this year - the cup's losing it's magic a bit?'
    OR in 1923 ' I'm not sure about this Wembley experience - it was much better at the Palace.'
    OR in 1911 'this new trophy devalues the tradition of the FA Cup a bit for me'
    OR in 1901: 'Fancy a non-league team winning the FA Cup. It must be because Preston played a weakened team in the first round replay. That definitely devalues it for me'.

The FA Cup has always changed. Stop wanting everything to always stay the same. Is it devalued because the ice cream van doesn't come down the street during the match FFS?

*Runs time machine back to febuary*

Chill out mate, the magic of the cup has returned with its nice old tradition of 3pm saturday after the league season is over, its better and I for one am looking forward to the prospect of seeing an over pressured arsenal bottle it and f@ck up.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Exactly.

I do know the answer but had to think for a moment.

There was a time when FA Cup Final day was a major event whether your team was playing or not......
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

se9addick said:

Exactly.

I do know the answer but had to think for a moment.

There was a time when FA Cup Final day was a major event whether your team was playing or not......
    True - but that was because it was one of only a handful of live games on TV a season. I also got bored with one or more of the Sky 4 being in virtually every final for fifteen years. Been better recently though.
  • Options

Just Googled "How many Football League teams have played at the New Wembley".
    Got this, from a WWFC website, which was posted over 2 years ago:

"Old 25-01-2012, 13:02

New Wembley

60/92 clubs in the football league have been to the new wembley

after liverpool we have to be one of the biggest/highest named team not to have a visit

fulham, sunderland, newcastle (of the top of my head) may not have been since the rebuild but its quite poor that 2/3 of the football league have been

and we're in the 1/3 which hasnt"

Are we one of around 20 clubs yet to visit there ?
  • Options
    Love the FA cup and cup final day in particular, the build up is always amazing. One of my first footballing memories is Jim Montgomerie's double save against Leeds, spent weeks in the garden trying to replicate it. I think I nearly killed my mum with the washing, as well as my knees which looked like I had two patches of dirt permanently ingrained on them. Heres to a great game today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty sure the Hull fans have woken up feeling the magic of the cup.
  • Options

Do you think it was a mistake for the FA to buy Wembley?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Just collated a list from these competitions to ee how many of the current (13/14 season) 92 have played at the New Wembley: FA Cup Final and Semi Finals, League Cup Final, Community Shield, Championship, League One, League Two and Conference Play-Off Finals, FA Trophy Final, FA Vase Final and Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final.

Before today's FA Cup Final and the Play-Off Finals next weekend, 61 of 92 teams have played at the New Wembley. QPR, Leyton Orient and Rotherham United will become club #62, #63 and #64. Burton Albion will become #65 if they progress past Southend in the League Two Semi-Final this afternoon. Southend have already played at the New Wembley for a JPT final so wouldn't count twice.

I suppose all that leaves is to list the teams that haven't been to Wembley yet (and definitely won't do until at least next season), of which there are 27:

NEWCASTLE
    NORWICH
    FULHAM

LEICESTER
    BRIGHTON
    BLACKBURN
    IPSWICH
    BOURNEMOUTH
    NOTTM FOREST
    MIDDLESBROUGH
    SHEFF WED
    CHARLTON

WOLVES
    PRESTON
    PORT VALE
    WALSALL
    CRAWLEY
    OLDHAM
    COLCHESTER
    COVENTRY
    NOTTS COUNTY
    TRANMERE

PLYMOUTH
    BURY
    ACCRINGTON
    HARTLEPOOL
    WYCOMBE
  • Options
    I reckon Hull will be full of magic this afternoon. As were Wigan last year. I'd watch it, but it's only on satélite here in Spain, and I'm not sure I can be bothered with dragging my four year old daughter all the way across town to sit in the pub for two hours. Still, I may yet change my mind.
    Is it being streamed anywhere?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Pretty sure the Hull fans have woken up feeling the magic of the cup.

Just seen crowd of Hull fans on train , fair to say they are excited!! Should be us.

• Options
    RedChaser said:

se9addick said:

Don't muck about I'll give a clue they've got a pier and it's not Blackpool or Brighton :-)
    Is it Fulham?
    They've got The Lord Carrington of Fulham, a conservative peer.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

RedChaser said:

se9addick said:

Is it Fulham?
    They've got The Lord Carrington of Fulham, a conservative peer.
    Now if you had said he is a Peer at Westtminster I would have given you a Like, as it is have a LOL instead :-)
  • Options
    Westminster Pier - very good, #tips hat
    Mind you, they don't have a football league team!
  • Options
    Watching in Florida. Typical USA coverage, cutting to adverts during Abide With Me. Totally clueless and classless.
  • Options
    Yeah it's been lost because of the big wembley saga and now you got 2 semi finals at wembley, also it should be on BBC not BT sport