Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Full Members Cup Final 1987

Not a good day for the Addicks obviously but maybe for nostalgia reasons here's a video about the game from a Rovers point of view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbzH_e99tY

I remember the game well, especially the Ralph Milne miss, and coming away from the match I thought I'd never see Charlton at Wembley again. I was to be proved wrong.............

Comments

• I was there but I was bladdered.
  • Completely out of it for that game having started at the Bugle Horn early on (knew the manager so we got in the back door), then sneaked a few bottles on the coach ... total bore, we didn't score a goal and outnumbered by Blackburn fans ... but at least we'd reached Wembley for a change!
  • Just thought that I would enjoy the day seeing Charlton at Wembley was beyond my expectations, was gutted however when they scored late on.
  • That was my first ever Charlton game.
  • I was there. Terrible game . We never turned up. In fact neither team turned up.
  • Worst 'away' support ever. Pitiful effort.
  • Went on a coach from the Yorkshire grey and Greenwich borough club.
    Ended up back at the club throwing a millwall fan into the plunge bath after he wouldn't stop giving it because we lost.
  • This was my first Charlton game.

I went on a coach from Greenwich with my dad. There was a bucket at the front of the coach to piss in. How times have changed!!
  • I was there - not one of my better memories. Classic Charlton playing a lower league team - gave them too much respect.

On the other hand staying up was much more important than that micky mouse competition.
  • Spent the night after that game sleeping in Charing Cross tube station after a wild one in the Hipperdrome....shocking match but a good day out all the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember it like it was yesterday, proper family day out!
  • After getting through in the semi AET v Norwich at Sellout this was a complete anti climax against a team from the league below. Whether the team thought all they had to do was turn up I don't know but we never did ourselves justice that day.
  • edited January 2013
    Somehow I reckon your next Wembley visit 11 years later is fondly remebered much more by you guys!

;)_

Probably the best game at Wembley ever?

Was this the little tournament they had for 5 years or so whilst the english teams were banned from Europe...
  • we were dreadful.

got drunk.
  • Saw the game but can't recall any of it. Still got the scarf.

• Was this the little tournament they had for 5 years or so whilst the english teams were banned from Europe...

yep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Members_Cup
  • nollys dream came true paaaaaah
  • edited January 2013

Somehow I reckon your next Wembley visit 11 years later is fondly remebered much more by you guys!
    ;)_

Probably the best game at Wembley ever?

Was this the little tournament they had for 5 years or so whilst the english teams were banned from Europe...

Apart from 1966 when England won the world cup I would agree with you, I know you're amazed that I can remember that far back :o)
  • Didn't Curbs have a big row with Lennie because he wasn't picked for this one. Remember talking about him not appearing when the teams came out. He joined Brighton not long after, if memory serves. A dreadful game, I just knew Burns would score but didn't put money on it!
  • Well even if you do forget about it for a month or two the tabloids will bring it up in the vain hope that success might come again!
  • Sponsored links:

• March51 said:

Didn't Curbs have a big row with Lennie because he wasn't picked for this one. Remember talking about him not appearing when the teams came out. He joined Brighton not long after, if memory serves. A dreadful game, I just knew Burns would score but didn't put money on it!

yep curbs left the stadium i think when he found out he wasn't involved and said "i know you'll be palace one day lennie so i'm going to brighton to piss you off more"

• Remember it well, shite game, shite performance and a dreadful hangover the next day.
  • Coach from Guy Earl in Welling. Driver went round north circular when London clubs supposed to approach from south. Arrived with no windows and enough hardcore to build a bungalow. Also had a stop on the north circular for a fight across both carriage ways. Which added some glasses and bottles to our hardcore collection. Oh happy days. Coach buggered off and left us ! Remember it was a nice sunny day though.
  • After all these years, I never realised we were playing a team from the div below! Funny how you blank things like this awful game out
  • edited January 2013
    Got the silk scarf somewhere
  • Yes, we've still got a 'Back After 40 Years' flag somewhere.
  • Remember it well and had a great day out .... Strangely enough I didn't even notice that they had more fans, but then I was pissed :-)
  • Just thought that I would enjoy the day seeing Charlton at Wembley was beyond my expectations, was gutted however when they scored late on.

One of the most boring games I have ever seen, was so pleased someone scored and it did not go for extra time, i think by the end I had a stonking headache

• remember it well what a shite game bit like all the blackburn fans clobber ok it was the 80 s tacchinni , burberry etc but for fucks sake blackburn fans where all dressed like something out of emmerdale.
  • March51 said:

Yes, we've still got a 'Back After 40 Years' flag somewhere.

I done a flag too. Had illusions delusions of our end being like The Kop on a big European Cup Night. How very very wrong I was....