Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Full Members Cup Final 1987

Comments

• Options

Coach from Guy Earl in Welling. Driver went round north circular when London clubs supposed to approach from south. Arrived with no windows and enough hardcore to build a bungalow. Also had a stop on the north circular for a fight across both carriage ways. Which added some glasses and bottles to our hardcore collection. Oh happy days. Coach buggered off and left us ! Remember it was a nice sunny day though.

Quality
  • Options
    March51 said:

Didn't Curbs have a big row with Lennie because he wasn't picked for this one. Remember talking about him not appearing when the teams came out. He joined Brighton not long after, if memory serves. A dreadful game, I just knew Burns would score but didn't put money on it!

Colin Hendry scored the goal up our end
  • Options
    Amazing how many say they were there considering it was 26 years ago and the average age of this site.
  • Options
    There was a good thread about memories from this game a while back, still think my weekend was the worst, I went AWOL from my regiment in Germany as like others thought it was a once in a lifetime appearance, hitched a lift both ways and spent a fortune on my ticket/beer we lost, I slept on a garage forecourt in Dover, got jailed on my return and the rest is history!
  • Options
    Ha, ha, of course he did: sorry. Shows how much of an impression the game made on my memory! No excuse though!
  • Options
    I seem to remember we had the tunnel end,Blackburn I think went for this in a big way and far larger numbers on the day( of fans) ,dreadful game is all I can recall.
  • Options
    I remember we had 20,000 there and the crowd was 40,000. It was even steven there but as we were local should have taken far more. Remember our crowds then at Sellout were well under 10,000
  • Options
    Happy to-be corrected but it was a boozey day for us. :-)
  • Options
    My first visit to Wembley, which is a great experience for any football fan, but what a let down thereafter.
    Shocking game and we were absolutely shite.
    Though it was only a tin pot cup, remember feeling very dejected by the performance and the low turnout.
    As others have said, I really didn't think I'd get to see Charlton at Wembley again......

As it turned out, we were to have a game which was a 1000 times more significant to the club only a couple of months later at St Andrews and this time we weren't to go home disappointed....
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Riviera said:

Amazing how many say they were there considering it was 26 years ago and the average age of this site.

Casting doubt on the integrity of posters eh, unless you know them all personally? :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I remember we had 20,000 there and the crowd was 40,000. It was even steven there but as we were local should have taken far more. Remember our crowds then at Sellout were well under 10,000

it was not even steven we were outnumbered that day 2 to1 ish

• Options
    Hah! At least I got the scorer's name right back in 2009: thanks oohaah. Got me sweaty socks mixed up this time.
  • Options
    I was there :) went with my mum and dad! I remember saying to my dad we lost because mum came to the match ! Mums not coming again is she dad?? ;)
  • Options
    first 10 minutes was great - pissed and surging up and down the little terrace enclosure they'd seemed to put us all in rather than spreading us all out - can't remember when they scored exactly but i know the beer soon wore off and the reality soon kicked in, particularly on the dull tube journey back - the best bit was the norwich semi final i think it was - seemed like a big crowd at selhurst at the time - think it was about 6k.
  • Options

it was not even steven we were outnumbered that day 2 to1 ish

Yes, I think we only had about 14,000 fans there - one of my lowest ever days following Charlton.
  • Options
    one of mine as well but i think the lowest was the 3-0 defeat to millwall at selhurst. It had all the ingredients for a worst ever.
  • Options

one of mine as well but i think the lowest was the 3-0 defeat to millwall at selhurst. It had all the ingredients for a worst ever.

Yes, true, that 3-0 defeat was humiliating! Could also mention the loss of two late goals at the Den in August 1989 as we threw away a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2.

Of course, that only made the 2-0 win at The Den in 1995 all the sweeter.
  • Options
    I seem to remember we only managed to sell 12,000 tickets. For some reason I went on my own (id lost touch with a lot of Charlton guys by then who were boycotting Sellout) and got a coach up from Bexleyheath...dreadful day out. I remember it being sunny but very cold and also being in one of the sections that had 2 men and a dog in it.....I managed to climb a wall with the help of some others to get into a section where there was a bit of a crowd, and I bumped into a lad from work. The walk of shame back to the coach with Blackburn giving it some....one Id rather forget.
  • Options

Yes, true, that 3-0 defeat was humiliating! Could also mention the loss of two late goals at the Den in August 1989 as we threw away a 2-0 lead to draw 2-2.

That 0-3 day was terrible, totally humiliating and the ground seemed full of Millwall.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:

I seem to remember we only managed to sell 12,000 tickets. For some reason I went on my own (id lost touch with a lot of Charlton guys by then who were boycotting Sellout) and got a coach up from Bexleyheath...dreadful day out. I remember it being sunny but very cold and also being in one of the sections that had 2 men and a dog in it.....I managed to climb a wall with the help of some others to get into a section where there was a bit of a crowd, and I bumped into a lad from work. The walk of shame back to the coach with Blackburn giving it some....one Id rather forget.

you should have got on the Blackburn coach as they getting out of the rear emergency exit.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I think I landed at Heathrow on an overnight flight from Malaysia at 6am on the day of the game. I came home and then set off for Wembley. I think the players looked more jetlagged than me.
  • Options
    TEL said:

That 0-3 day was terrible, totally humiliating and the ground seemed full of Millwall.

That's because it was! Typical Charlton though, the next week we thrashed Wet Spam 3-1 at their place!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I was 8. It was my first ever Charlton game. The rest (as they say) is history!
  • Options
    The thing I remember most about the day was before the game when a Blackburn fan got on our coach and started trying to sell us some badges and hats. The driver soon got rid of him (by the scruff of the neck!)

I remember the goal and the piss bucket at the front of the coach. The rest was a bit of blur, but like I say I was only 8.
  • Options
    Remember the day well, but is a game that i never acknowledge, when having banter never highlight the fact we went to Wembley
  • Options
    remember it well....still got the video

.....I was the Charlton mascot !!!
  • Options
    Remember it paifully; utter anti-climax. Weird to see the bloke walk out and change the scoreboard - it doesn't seem THAT long ago. As our Watford friend said, at least we put things right with the Wembley memories.
  • Options
    Don't remember much of the game, got a few photos somewhere just remember Blackburn outnumbering us about 3 to 1
  • Options

This was my first Charlton game.

I went on a coach from Greenwich with my dad. There was a bucket at the front of the coach to piss in. How times have changed!!

Oh! I thought that was for the driver's tips. Still, at the least the coinage would have been nice and shiney.