Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dale Stephens

Comments

• Options
    25m + Yaya
  • Options
    He needs to play as the supportive one in a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-3-1-2. He doesn't have the discipline for central midfield. The FL show highlights v Blackburn summed him up perfectly. First clip showed him darting past his man to try to get the ball, but over committing and allowing Blackburn to have an attack out of nothing, when all he needed to do was stand his ground. Then you have the superb goal and a great pass for Jackson which Kermorgant nearly scored from.
  • Options

I think Dale is class - he's not there yet (obviously), but I get the feeling he has the potential to be very, very good indeed.

Totally agree. Thats where I'm at with Dale. That and his consistency.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dale would be a perfect replacement for Frank Lampard at Chelsea and with his value going up daily, Chelsea better get in quick with their £10 million pound bid.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I think Dale is class - he's not there yet (obviously), but I get the feeling he has the potential to be very, very good indeed.

Totally agree. Thats where I'm at with Dale. That and his consistency.
    Also agree 100%. He is a class act. Sure he makes a few wayward passes - but his vision is excellent, as is his endeavour and he's not afraid of making a few hefty tackles.
  • Options
    Still trying to find positives to describe Stephens's contribution after Saturday's "appearance"?
    He needs to take a very long look at himself.
  • Options
    Stephens took a heavy clomp in the 1st five minutes , wasn't the same player afterwards , cynical & dirty play from the Massives should have warranted a red card.
  • Options
    Thought he put himself about well in the first half when it was a bit more even. When he got space in the second and should have taken control of the game he didn't step up. Took his time on the ball, which is fine if you play the right pass, but he kept giving it away and put us under pressure when they were desperate. He needs to become our metronome when we're under pressure rather than crumbling
  • Options
    Was never a player for me, but improving slowly and has real potential.
  • Options
    Mendonca In Asdas Member
    12:41PM Said
    Stephens took a heavy clomp in the 1st five minutes , wasn't the same player afterwards , cynical & dirty play from the Massives should have warranted a red card.

Agree with this 100%, shame some people on here still knock him, if he'd have kept that loose ball lower in the 2nd half would have been the hero. Seems our only player who can shoot from outside the penalty area!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is still very young give him time.
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

got a feeeling if Villa qualify for league cup they will come back in for him as Lambert job will be safe ...and they will give him the funds to secure prem place...so if they do come knocking ask for £4m or straight swap for Bent.--

yeah wouldn't that be good, to have bent back again but would he come?

• Options

True. He was great in the first 3 minutes :-)
  • Options
    I'd love to know what people would say about any other Charlton player who gave the ball away as consistently as Dale Stephens does.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Rizzo said:

I'd love to know what people would say about any other Charlton player who gave the ball away as consistently as Dale Stephens does.

TBF he may be colour blind. Has he been tested ?
  • Options
    I've always thought Carrick was an overrated player,so a poor man's version seems pretty apt.

This thread is littered with talk of Stephen's vision.It's all very well being able to see the pass but being able to execute it is another matter and something he consistently fails to do.
    And as for class - that can be lumped in the potential bracket.I can't think of a single game I have seen him play where this adjective would describe him,a class strike -yes -but that's as far as it would go.

Now Claus Jensen,he was class.
  • Options
    Thank goodness he isn't Kish or Lisbie!
  • Options
    Redskin said:

I've always thought Carrick was an overrated player,so a poor man's version seems pretty apt.

This thread is littered with talk of Stephen's vision.It's all very well being able to see the pass but being able to execute it is another matter and something he consistently fails to do.
    And as for class - that can be lumped in the potential bracket.I can't think of a single game I have seen him play where this adjective would describe him,a class strike -yes -but that's as far as it would go.

He also cost us £4 million and we were playing in the Premier League.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Redskin said:

He also cost us £4 million and we were playing in the Premier League.
    Exactly.

• Options
    Pretty much every attack we have that doesn't involve a "hoof" up to Yann goes through him. Give the guy a break.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be honest, if Jackson or Pritchard or Wagstaff or in fact any other midfielder tried as many ambitious passes as Stephens, far far more of them would go astray. Pretty much every single move that passes through the midfield instead of over it goes via his feet.
  • Options
    Sell him pritch and jacko start again
  • Options
    If only Dale had some of the attributes afforded to our other midfielders like, the pace of JJ, the tackling ability of Green, the bravery and skill of Waggy, the passing vision of Wilson, the strength and aerial ability of Pritch, the guile of Kerker, the movement and artistry of Cook. He may then become worth as much as they are individually in the transfer market. Then again he is probably worth more than all of them put together. Strange that isn't it? Especially for a player some fans don't seem to think is any good.
  • Options
    Not a great game Saturday and made mistakes but always moves into a position where he can receive a pass.

We do lose possession when he tries an ambitious pass but generally we keep the ball better with him in the team and he must have more touches than any of our players (I imagine this can be proved wrong).

Class but needs to get better.
  • Options

Not a great game Saturday and made mistakes but always moves into a position where he can receive a pass.

We do lose possession when he tries an ambitious pass but generally we keep the ball better with him in the team and he must have more touches than any of our players (I imagine this can be proved wrong).

Class but needs to get better.

This could have described Murphy as well.

Stephens is a lad who's learning his trade and despite the step up looks a better player today than he did a year ago. Not sure you can ask for more than that.
  • Options
    Noises coming out of Villa don't bode well for Dale.
  • Options
    good at times but gives the ball away far too much, sometimes under no pressure and with options. think he is the best we've got but premier league? you're having a laugh.
  • Options
    I think Stephens and Pritch work well together, we have Pritch who run all over the place tracking players down and breaking up play and Stephens who holds his position and is able to put his foot on the ball. Would we want 2 Stephens, No. Would we want two Pritchards, No.

They are like a poor mans version of Parker and Jensen.
  • Options
    Dervite and Hamer got their own threads to I thought I'd dig this up ;-)
    One of the worst performances from a Charlton player this season, up there with Seabourne vs Ipswich
  • Options
    After about 15 mins my mate said I wonder if Stephens is ill. His performance was that poor.