Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which footballer do you regret not seeing play?

Comments

• Options
    Lloyd Sam.
  • Options
    my grandad Jack Shreeve - or his best buddy Sam Bartram for that matter.
  • Options
    Ralph Milne, just to see if he really was as bad as everyone says.
  • Options
    Hans Jeppson.
  • Options

Hans Jeppson.

My Dad (who wasn't a Charlton supporter) saw him in the famous game at Highbury (didn't he get a hat-trick?)
  • Options
    I was lucky as a kid having a Man U fan of a brother so saw Best, Charlton etc, but from what I hear I would love to have seen Duncan Edwards, such a tragedy he and others died so young.
  • Options

Simonsen Member
    11:35AM

mistrollingin said:

Hans Jeppson.

My Dad (who wasn't a Charlton supporter) saw him in the famous game at Highbury (didn't he get a hat-trick?)

Correct. 24/2/1951. Charlton won 5-2. Att. 54,903. According to Colin Cameron's book, "Fighting broke out among the rival fans"
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Amdy Faye.
  • Options
    Reading this thread has reminded me that there are advantages to being old, having seen 99% of the players on here. For me it was Dixie Dean who I read about on Fag Cards. Slightly off subject, Pele was wonderful, but the thing that you really wanted to see was the Brazil team of that time. Exciting football played with incredible enthusiasm.
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to see Best play, along with Rodney marsh and Bobby Moore. OK it was at Fulham, but I still saw them play.
    The only player I wish I had seen play 'live' is Johann Cruyff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I regret never having seen Simon Francis play.
  • Options

I regret never having seen Simon Francis play.

Ouch!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Fatty Foulkes

At the end of the first match in the 1902 Cup Final Foulke protested to the officials that Southampton's equalizing goal should not have been allowed. Foulke left his dressing room unclothed and pursued the referee, Tom Kirkham, who took refuge in a broom cupboard. Foulke had to be stopped by a group of F.A. officials from wrenching the cupboard door from its hinges to reach the hapless referee.

That's the spirit!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

my grandad Jack Shreeve - or his best buddy Sam Bartram for that matter.

Jack shreeve a tough defender who died far to young I am sure I met him at A Redhill v finchley game. Sam I had the good fortune seeing him play and also when he judged the kids fancy dress competition at the old Charlton liberal club in the Woolwich road.
  • Options
    Killer and the great Sam Bartram (not being born before those periods).
  • Options

Hans Jeppson.

His last game was my first one so I was lucky enough to see him once!

Back on subject: Jimmy Greaves. Whenever I was due to see him play circumstances dictated otherwise.
  • Options

I saw Best play in Les Berry's testimonial at the Valley and he was brilliant! Simply brilliant! Anybody else remember that game?

Would like to have seen Sam Bartram play - seemed a real character from the biography I read.

Vaguely remember going to Les Berry's testimonial but maybe I'm confused with Hales' two.

Sam Bartram for me also.

I was thinking of a non Charlton player as well... and bizarrely thought of Jimmy Greaves, weird 'cos March has just put that.
  • Options
    Great minds, ET.......
  • Options
    My late father told me that Brian Clough was a very good player.
  • Options
    Non Charlton would be Stanley Matthews for me.

He was playing for Stoke City when I first started supporting Charlton but we didn't / couldn't go for some reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    March51 said:

Great minds, ET.......

I think my dad (a lasped hammer) has talked him up, maybe that's why I thought of him. Don't think I've asked my dad who his favourite was though, may do it tonight.
  • Options
    Tom Finney - Greatest English Player of all-time.
    Then some of the other great players of the 50's ...Stanley Matthews, Tommy Lawton, Raich Carter, Wilf Mannion, Duncan Edwards. Also just missed Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, jimmy Greaves, from the sixties. On the international list - Puskas, Di Stefano, Eusebio.
    Would be good to compare them all with the outstanding players of the 70's onwards. There are DVDs about, but not the same as seeing them live.
  • Options
    Puskas - my father played in Hungary during that era and still maintains to this day that THE Real Madrid would beat anything today.
  • Options
    Big Djimi
  • Options
    Kenny Dalglish would have been great to see him play, one of my idols when I was growing up.
  • Options
    Stuart Leary
  • Options
    Georgie. No doubt.
  • Options
    Killer/Best/Cantona
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Fatty Foulkes

At the end of the first match in the 1902 Cup Final Foulke protested to the officials that Southampton's equalizing goal should not have been allowed. Foulke left his dressing room unclothed and pursued the referee, Tom Kirkham, who took refuge in a broom cupboard. Foulke had to be stopped by a group of F.A. officials from wrenching the cupboard door from its hinges to reach the hapless referee.

That's the spirit!

The FA expect to to anounce the results of there investigation of this incident next week.
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs