Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which footballer do you regret not seeing play?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Not sure how you can regret not seeing a player who played before you was born, so I'll go with Zinedine Zidane.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Not sure how you can regret not seeing a player who played before you was born, so I'll go with Zinedine Zidane.

Wish I'd never bloody seen him ;-) A few lines from a Euro 2004 report encapsulates the all too frequent agony of watching England...

"As stoppage-time was announced they held the lead through Frank Lampard's goal and seemed unaffected by a penalty David Beckham had missed in the 73rd minute. Zinedine Zidane, though, used the seconds left for virtuoso punishment of English folly.

When the substitute Emile Heskey clumsily brought down Claude Makelele, Zidane swerved home a superb free-kick. Then, with woe rampant in England ranks, Steven Gerrard, under pressure, half-hit a pass back and David James brought down Thierry Henry.

Zidane was imperious with the penalty and another horrible night had descended on the England fans who had come in such numbers, with such trust. Their dejection had its counterpart on the turf, with the England captain Beckham already sobbing as he made for the tunnel."
  • Options
    Danny Blanchflower, Jimmy Greaves, John White and Dave Mackay.
  • Options
    Like a lot of posters of a certain age I used to hear my dad wax lyrical about Duncan Edwards and so it has to be him. Bobby Charlton still says he is the best player he has ever seen so he must have been quite special.
  • Options
    Bally Smart.
    Ali Dia (George Weah's 'cousin' who made Souness look an idiot at Southampton).

In terms of proper players and seeing them live, Ronaldo at his peak (the Brazilian striker, obviously)
  • Options
    My giddy aunt some of you boys/girls are young
  • Options
    Kim Grant. I did see him put on a red shirt and run around on the Valley turf a few dozen times. But I'm not convinced that he was actually 'playing'.
  • Options
    Maradona in his prime would have been something, as would AC Milan in 1988 with R. Gullit, M Van Basten and F. Rijkaard - just a bit on the tasty side.
  • Options
    Charlton: Summers, Leary, Jeppson, Gordon Hurst, Firmani
    Other : Maradonna, Pele, Gunter Netzer
  • Options

You must have seen Firmani Queensland or if not I apologise for thinking you are an old git like me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Re:my earlier post: It occurred to me later that I did actually see Jimmy Greaves play, but not in the usual way of things. When he played for Barnet in '77/78 one of their supporters got him to play in a lunchtime inter-office 5-a-side game in the exotic surroundings of Brixton's Ferndale Road sports centre. JG still had a lovely touch and was good fun. Shouts of 'Not quite the San Siro, is it Jim?' were answered with 'Too bloody right it's not', and he'd score another one. Teams and crowd all enjoyed it but as he was on the wagon by then he couldn't go for a pint but came back with the team for a cup of tea. Full of stories and a nice bloke. Can't believe it slipped my mind: these old-timer's moments are getting worse!
  • Options
    Hans Jepson. Started watching Charlton season after he left.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I was lucky enough to see him play for Juve v Lazio at the Delle Alpi. He came out three or four minutes before any Juve or Lazio players in the second half and did the most amazing keepy uppies I've ever seen. He was in the centre circle in a complete world of his own, surrounded by around 70,000 Italians going absolutely mental and was cooler than a cucumber. Pure magic.
  • Options
    Ronaldo for me, my favourite all time player.

Plenty of mentions for George Best, my Dad played in the same team as him when they were kids.
  • Options
    Robin Friday
  • Options
    Not exactly in the criteria of the original post however my tuppence is killer - although I was there whilst on his last spell with the club and can remember the chant "killer" "killer" I'm gutted I can't really remember why my dad and uncle had such adulation for him - same could be said for flash - absolute quality but gutted I couldn't appreciate it then!

Although I count myself lucky to have grown up with the likes of mark Reid, johnny h, Elliot, Walsh, Paul Walsh and seen David whyte (when real quality) and bowyer when a baby and still scoring hatricks from midfield....

Good times ;)
  • Options
    I'm old enough to have seen all the old'uns, including Sam Bartram once. My Dad took me in 1954 to see us play Wolves.

I went to Highbury just to see Stanley Matthews, along with about 60000 others. I think he was about 48 at the time. The Arsenal left back, McCullough, started trying to kick him off the pitch, and the whole ground, including the Arsenal fans booed him for the whole game. I wonder whether something like that would ever happen nowadays?

Stuart Leary was, and still is, the best player I've seen in a Charlton shirt, and Tom Finney is the player I regret never having seen.
  • Options
    Roy Hodson, Fook me av you seen his playing record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a cont

He must be the master of blagging, Fooking Berea Park..Berea??? sounds like a pub team.

1966–1969 Tonbridge Angels (They were in the bexley league at the time)
    1969–1971 Gravesend & Northfleet (shit)
    1971–1972 Maidstone United (kent league)
    1972–1973 Ashford Town (Kent county league)
    1973–1974 Berea Park (Who the fook are this two bob mob)
    1974–1976 Carshalton Athletic
    1979-1981 The Kings Arms
    1991- 1995 The Vareity Club (Sunshine Bus Utd)
  • Options
    CAFCElite said:

Roy Hodson, Fook me av you seen his playing record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a cont

He must be the master of blagging,or sucking the FA Chief Off, Fooking Berea Park..Berea??? sounds like a pub team.

1966–1969 Tonbridge Angels
    1969–1971 Gravesend & Northfleet
    1971–1972 Maidstone United
    1972–1973 Ashford Town
    1973–1974 Berea Park
    1974–1976 Carshalton Athletic
    1979-1981 The Kings Arms
    1991- 1995 The Vareity Club (Sunshine Bus Utd)

1995-1997 Inter Milan - THE MIND BOGGLES!!!

Present - England manager
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

You must have seen Firmani Queensland or if not I apologise for thinking you are an old git like me!
    Definitely an old git Len, but remember Firmani only as a manager unfortunately when I started going in about 66/67!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Johnny Summers for me. Just before my era and he died so young otherwise I probably would have seen him. What a player by the sound of it.
  • Options
    Not 1 but 4

Baresi, costacurta, tassotti and Maldini

As an ex cultured defender myself, would love to have seen that back four live.

And Socrates.
  • Options
    Bobby Charlton - surely Engand's best ever player.
  • Options
    Sam Bartram
    Duncan Edwards is a good call.
  • Options
    Stuart Leary,my Dad was always saying what a good player he was.
  • Options
    For us got to be simonsen
    But other wise gazza at any club
  • Options
    Been mentioned many times, for good reason, but Zidane for me. We were vacationing on the Costa del Sol for Christmas 2002, and Malaga (pre-relegation and promotion) was hosting Real with many tickets available. I pushed the idea, but given that I was traveling with my parents and sister (now living in the UK and holding a season ticket at the Emirates), was talked out of it, and we were for some dodgy meal instead. Resented it then, and...still do. Just checked, and it ended up 3-2 to the visitors.

Incidentally, I grew up in Burlington, Ontario, where Sir Stanley Matthews lived out his later years. Knew where he lived, but never met him.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Has to be Stuart Leary for me given that I started supporting Charlton in season 62/63 and thus would have seen him had he not fallen out with Frank "Tiger" Hill in that pre season.

I was lucky enough to see him play cricket for Kent on quite a few occasions.

Leary, superb player would have made the grade in any era, one of the best passers of the ball I have seen.

• Options

Swisdom said:

my grandad Jack Shreeve - or his best buddy Sam Bartram for that matter.

Jack shreeve a tough defender who died far to young I am sure I met him at A Redhill v finchley game. Sam I had the good fortune seeing him play and also when he judged the kids fancy dress competition at the old Charlton liberal club in the Woolwich road.
    Jack owned the newsagents, now a house, opposite Fossdene Road school for many years, he was a lovely man.
  • Options
    roy race and the tubby goalie