Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Sheffield Wednesday | 26th January 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, Views etc.

WSSWSS
edited January 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

Saturday sees the 2011/12 League One Runners Up in the form of Sheffield Wednesday visit The Valley. Saturday’s opponents’ recent history and respective league positions means that many of their fans will be pleased to be currently punching above their weight in the Championship. For a club Wednesday’s size, sitting outside the relegation spots in 21st place is probably the best they could’ve hoped for at this stage of the season.

An effort to clear snow from The Valley pitch looks to have ensured the match will go ahead and Charlton will be hoping to carry on their excellent league form of 2013 by notching up a fourth win on the trot and a second consecutive victory at home.

The Team

A 4-5-1 formation has reaped rewards for Chris Powell in recent weeks and although it seems more suited when the Addicks are on their travels expect a similar set-up when Saturday comes. The introduction of Scott Wagstaff into the team ensures bundles of energy on both flanks and a solid midfield foundation allowing Dale Stephens’ form to flourish.

With Danny Haynes and Leon Cort back in training this week, Chris Powell may be tempted to mix things up but I fully expect an unchanged line-up once again. The starting XI has earned the right to keep their shirt following the recent performances against Blackpool and Blackburn and they’ll be hoping to turn it on once again to be in contention for the small matter of Crystal Palace away the week after.

The Opposition

Sheffield Wednesday’s problem is scoring goals and this is highlighted by the fact that former Addick, Miguel Llera is their joint second highest goalscorer with four goals. Michael Antonio leads the way with five. Many teams of Sheffield Wednesday’s size and stature who have hung about the lower reaches of the league pyramid can often struggle to stay up without a recognised goalscorer. If we compare Sheffield to Doncaster Rovers who survived for a while on Billy Sharp’s goals, some of their fans may be worried of their league status come May if they don’t find a genuine goal threat in this transfer window.

But this will be a tough game. Yes we’ve probably had more success in terms of playing in the top flight more recently and yes we have passed on some of our underperformers to them but we’re very similar clubs. We've both spent eight years in the Premier League; both have decent stadiums (although The Valley is probably a bit more up-to-date) and we’ve both endured the third tier more than we wished (they've spent an extra season down there than us in the past 10 years).

Prediction

Charlton’s home form is not great although everyone hopes 2013 will see that change and Wednesday’s defence is admirable away so a draw may be a bet to put on at the bookies. Preview Towers sees a win though, a nervy win but a win all the same. 2-1.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    haha very good WSS

2-0 Addicks - Kerm & JJ
  • Options
    Red cards galore and a late winner for Charlton.

1 - 0 to the Champions.
  • Options
    0-0
  • Options
    Pessimistic as always and dreading the gloating from OP and the whippet squad !

0-1 to the Pigs

Ecstatic to be wrong of course...
  • Options
    If only there were more soapy_jones......
  • Options
    1-0 win to us with JJ scoring a screamer of a free-kick, we then park the bus, waste time and get our ball boys to lay on top of the ball, it's what we do every week isn't it?
  • Options
    Nug said:

1-0 win to us with JJ scoring a screamer of a free-kick, we then park the bus, waste time and get our ball boys to lay on top of the ball, it's what we do every week isn't it?</blockquote

Simples ! Surprised no-one else has made use of this cunning plan.

• Options
    edited January 2013

There are hundreds of us ! We are a Charlton institution, or is that should be in a institution?

• Options

There are hundreds of us ! We are a Charlton institution, or is that should be in a institution?

Nice one, sj !

• Options
    2-1 to the boys ... Morrison and Wilson bagging. Fartwank going potty in the stands
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic preview WSS.

3 - 1 win for the Mighty Addicks. Yann with all 3 goals. ;)

• Options
    2-0 to the Red & White Army
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'll go Charlton 1 Wednesday 3, Wednesday take an early lead though a bullet REDA header, Charlton then get a very controversial penalty.
    Teams go in 1-1 half time, ref realises he made a MASSIVE rig so gives everything to us in the second half, eventually giving us a penalty for hand ball that was clearly outside the area, we score in the 68 min to make it 2-1 then late in the game Llera wraps it up with a wonder free kick.
  • Options
    1-2 Charlton
  • Options

1-2 Charlton

How will Charlton beat themselves? two own goals? lol
  • Options
    Charlton to nick it and continue their rise up the Championship table!
  • Options
    I predict plenty of elbows in the face from the Wednesday lumps and then a nice 3-1 win. Scorers: Wagstaff, Stephens, Morrison
  • Options

I'll go Charlton 1 Wednesday 3, Wednesday take an early lead though a bullet REDA header, Charlton then get a very controversial penalty.
    Teams go in 1-1 half time, ref realises he made a MASSIVE rig so gives everything to us in the second half, eventually giving us a penalty for hand ball that was clearly outside the area, we score in the 68 min to make it 2-1 then late in the game Llera wraps it up with a wonder free kick.

And then you wake up ;-)
    3-1 home victory.

• Options
    sralan said:

And then you wake up ;-)
    3-1 home victory.

With a nasty stain on the sheets to explain away to the wife!
  • Options
    Dream on pig ur form is shocking
    My mum would have a better chance of scoring up front for u lot!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dream on pig ur form is shocking
    My mum would have a better chance of scoring up front for u lot!

http://www.footballformguide.net/form/npower-championship

Our recent form.

• Options
    1-1 I think, close game

Hopefully same XI with Haynes and Cort returning to the bench to make it a strong group alongside Button, Dervite, Wiggins, Harriott and Fuller
  • Options
    I think you're a better team away but we still dominated you at Hillsborough, we are a decent counter attacking side, we could hurt you on Saturday.
  • Options
    1 - 1
  • Options
    I was surprised this was still a 3pm kick off, what with the mass amount of away fans coming down, but I've just seen that the millwall game has been moved to the friday because of that reason and no other (apart form qpr and orient) london teams are being allowed to play at home this saturday.
  • Options
    Ah I see ur strikers are on fire!
    Ur where u are for a reason?
  • Options

1-1 I think, close game

Hopefully same XI with Haynes and Cort returning to the bench to make it a strong group alongside Button, Dervite, Wiggins, Harriott and Fuller

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Except for the Dervite bit.

• Options

Ah I see ur strikers are on fire!
    Ur where u are for a reason?

You said our form were 'shocking' though.

Last six league games we've scored 6 and conceded 3

You've scored more in the way of 10, but alarmingly you shipped 10 goals in 6 games.

• Options
    If there is a God up there please, please allow Danny Haynes and his hamstrings 20 minutes up against Llera! Otherwise a close game as I suspect Wednesday will park the bus and Semedo in the front of their goal.
  • Options
    Our negative time wasting tactics may be pulled apart by the free-flowing Weds total football, and I think it will be a tense match with our bully boy tactics only just managing to keep us at 0-0 until the last few minutes. At which point that nasty man "Kermogrant" will whisper something simply horrid in the Sheffield keeper's ear at a corner, and while he's composing himself and holding back the tears, second top goalscorer Llera will head into his own net giving the Addicks an undeserved win and rewarding everything that is wrong with football.

Charlton Life is full of tumbleweeds on Saturday evening through the Massive silence on here from pigs, while the mayor of Sheffield bans evil mastermind Chris Powell from ever visiting their bustling Northern metropolis ever again.

Only joking... 3-0 to Charlton.