Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Rumble

Comments

• Options
    But you CAN place a bet!
  • Options

But you CAN place a bet!

I simply don't understand that. The outcome of the match is pre-determined long before the bell rings.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

I simply don't understand that. The outcome of the match is pre-determined long before the bell rings.

You could bet on Eastenders, how derek branning died. Thats scripted.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

Tell that to Brett Hart. He got screwed back in the day.

I'm being serious.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

The outcome is only ever known by a handful of people within the organisation, it's not common knowledge and the general public can only guess.

But for the reason that the outcome is known, bookies will only ever let you stake a few quid. You certainly couldn't go in and ask for £5k on something, these 'novelty' markets are restricted to something between £25-50 maximum bet.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

I guess the thing is that only a very small amount of people (in the US) are privy to the outcome and are unlikely to be placing bets in the UK anyway. And it's no different really from say, a manager (let's say Redknapp) lumping on himself to move to his next club when he already knows the outcome. (which may or may not have happened when he returned to Pompey!)
    But yeah, I do agree, if I were a bookies it's not something I would be taking bets on!
  • Options
    had a monkey on Branning being suffocated by Cena.

lost the lot.
  • Options

Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

Wrestling is not scripted though its 2 athletes going at it
  • Options

Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

I guess the thing is that only a very small amount of people (in the US) are privy to the outcome and are unlikely to be placing bets in the UK anyway.

Exactly, if a Mr V McMahon logs on and wants to bet on it the bookie might suspect something but your average punter in the UK is only ever going to be guessing. Bookies are not stupid.
  • Options

Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

I guess the thing is that only a very small amount of people (in the US) are privy to the outcome and are unlikely to be placing bets in the UK anyway.

Exactly, if a Mr V McMahon logs on and wants to bet on it the bookie might suspect something but your average punter in the UK is only ever going to be guessing. Bookies are not stupid.
    And of course the outcome can and often does change right up until the last minute going into a match.
    Now in play betting would be an interesting idea for Wrestling!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

VG I respect your rounded and unbiased views but if that were the case the scriptwriter of East Enders could write that Stacey died wrestling a Gorrilla in custard...can you imagine the odds youd get on that...at a guess 1,000,000 / 1 Nice retiremeant for a quid!

• Options
    Watched a lot when I was a teenager. Yes it is scripted but these guys do feel pain and do suffer. The amount of young deaths in the industry speaks volumes.

This clip will absolutely blow your mind, I'm telling you.

youtube.com/watch?v=HRGF9A1KiGY
  • Options

Rizzo said:

But you CAN place a bet!

VG I respect your rounded and unbiased views but if that were the case the scriptwriter of East Enders could write that Stacey died wrestling a Gorrilla in custard...can you imagine the odds youd get on that...at a guess 1,000,000 / 1 Nice retiremeant for a quid!

But you can bet on it and Eastenders!

WSS, Bret screwed Bret.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Watched a lot when I was a teenager. Yes it is scripted but these guys do feel pain and do suffer. The amount of young deaths in the industry speaks volumes.

This clip will absolutely blow your mind, I'm telling you.

youtube.com/watch?v=HRGF9A1KiGY

What were their injuries?
  • Options
    The list of guys who have died since I used to watch avidly in the late 90's - early 00's is frightening.
    Big Bossman
    British Bulldog
    Crash Holly
    Test
    Eddie Guerrero
    Chris Benoit (exception in that it was a murder/suicide)
    Chris Candido
    Umaga
    Mike Awesome
    Kanyon
    Curt Henning
    Bam Bam Biggalow
    Hawk (Road warrior)

All relatively young guys. Scary

• Options
    I think there's probably a common factor responsible for most (if not all) of their deaths
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    In saying its faked I dont think anyone has said it wasnt dangerous. I dont not watch it because its boring, I dont watch it because its violent and for me that doesnt equate to entertainment...but each to their own.
  • Options

I think there's probably a common factor responsible for most (if not all) of their deaths

Indeed. A mixture of Steroid abuse putting strain on the heart and brain issues due to multiple head shots (see Chris Benoit). Brutal really

• Options

The list of guys who have died since I used to watch avidly in the late 90's - early 00's is frightening.
    Big Bossman
    British Bulldog
    Crash Holly
    Test
    Eddie Guerrero
    Chris Benoit (exception in that it was a murder/suicide)
    Chris Candido
    Umaga
    Mike Awesome
    Kanyon
    Curt Henning
    Bam Bam Biggalow
    Hawk (Road warrior)

All relatively young guys. Scary

You forgot the tragic death of Owen Hart during his ring entrance.
  • Options
    I started watching not long after that event but yes that was tragic. Thank god nothing similar has happened since
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to watch a lot in my younger days, seen a little bit over the last few years and it just seems everyone is a body builder type and no characters about.

And everyone saying it's not real etc. I think 99% of the people who watch it know that the matches are all pre-determined but it can be good fun and you have to respect the amount of skill and athleticism involved.
  • Options

Addiction to painkillers took most of them out. The list is only a quarter of the size of the actual one.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/257371/109-wrestlers-die-in-a-decade.html
  • Options
    Its not a sport its theater, but there is no doubting the strength, agility and bravery of some of them, the moves are real and some look incredible when they come off.

Anyway, predictions are:

Del Rio, Ziggler cashes in
    Team Hell No! (what have they done to poor Kane? He used to be a demonic beast)
    The Rock (loses to Cena at Wrestlemania in a long overdue heel turn for Cena)
    Rumble winner: Orton, getting a renewed push into the big leagues after a couple of years jobbing in the mid card and getting injured
  • Options
    I was watching the 'over the edge' pay per view live when Owen hart died it was tense, they never showed it going on they were filming the crowd only but they all looked shell shocked and JR kept saying that there has been a tragic accident and it was not part of the nights entertainment.

Like they say on the show all the time 'yes ladies and gentleman this is entertainment but the hazards are real, the dangers are real...'
  • Options
    Rather watch Big Daddy v Haystacks meself
  • Options
    Looks like it was all a bit predictable then.

Del Rio won
    The Rock won
    and Cena won the Rumble

• Options
    It was a fantastic night of entertainment I watch it live and then watched it again on recording before finally hitting a wall. Just rocked up to work to find not too many watched it.
  • Options
    The return of the GODFATHER was brilliant. The HOOOOOOOO train!
  • Options
    isn't the clue in the adverts on sky sports when they say 'stunts take years to perfect' blah blah.....please don't try this at school !

for what it's worth I used to watch it in the 80's and thought it was brilliant
  • Options
    Perhaps this should be on a different thread but speaking to Ben in the Lib saturday he admitted to missing an incident at the VIP meeting out of his report, apparently when SCP was talking about potential signings the lights went out, there was confusion and when they came on again "the Shield" had done him! I dont mind admitting I watch this light entertainment with my son who loves it, too much history channel makes for a dull life especially in my line of work. I have convinced my son that Big Show would loose a TLC match against Catweazle as well....