Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Rumble

Comments

• Options
    I can recommend Brett "The Hitman" Hart's autobiography to all wrestling fans, explains alot about how wrestling works, the risks, tragedy etc. Also, alot of nostalgia for those who watched it in the late 80's
  • Options
    Surely the answer to the question is in the tittle

WWE sports entertainment

It's theatre it's banter in the words of the Mizz

It's Awsome
  • Options
    Just watched it . Brilliant entertainment. Loved the CM Punk / Rock bout.
  • Options
    Just finished watching all predictions right except dolph didn't cash in briefcase, cena will take the title off the rock at wrestle mania though.
  • Options
    Fat kid took it well...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xg0uEVzknxE

Pretty average IMO. Cena and Ryback as the last two? Horrible.
  • Options
    What is sad is the muppets who think its real sporting combat! That is a worry!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Greenie said:

I don't know anyone who thinks its real sporting combat. That includes my 6 and 9 year old boys.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Greenie said:

I don't know anyone who thinks its real sporting combat. That includes my 6 and 9 year old boys.

Indeed, a 7 year old can tell it's not real. No idea why people think it's some big secret. No one suggests that Rocky is real for example.

The video I posted isn't real either. :-)
  • Options
    No-one thinks the results or most of the contact is real but you can't say it's not athletic to do a triple back flip off of the top of a steel cage. The gymnastics, the mixed martial arts and the physical risks are real it's just choreographed to be turned into entertainment.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I think the way it glorifies violence is the biggest worry.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a great night of for those that enjoy the whole theatre of it all

My boy loved going with me when he was about 6 till he was 10
  • Options
    Has any wrestler ever gone 'off script' and won a fight he should have lost?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I've not heard of that. Basically they would have to actually knock their opponent out, as in unconscious, in order to do that. Even when severely injured the wrestlers tend to stick to the script. HHH tore his quadrucep clean off the bone in the middle of a match and he still 'won' despite not being able to use that leg at all.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

When people go off script they usually find a way of DQing the match pretty quickly.

• Options

Greenie said:

Indeed, a 7 year old can tell it's not real. No idea why people think it's some big secret. No one suggests that Rocky is real for example.

Its actually aimed at an adult audience. Remember watching it when i was younger and seeing a lot of full grown men in the front rows getting really worked up about it all.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Its actually aimed at an adult audience. Remember watching it when i was younger and seeing a lot of full grown men in the front rows getting really worked up about it all.
    It was aimed at adults in the 90s but has become more child friendly/shit.

On the subject of grown men getting worked up...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

MrOneLung said:

I've not heard of that. Basically they would have to actually knock their opponent out, as in unconscious, in order to do that. Even when severely injured the wrestlers tend to stick to the script. HHH tore his quadrucep clean off the bone in the middle of a match and he still 'won' despite not being able to use that leg at all.

Dont forget Stone Cold broke his neck and still beat Owen Hart.

If something like that did happen, the off script wrestler would never be in another match. People would refuse to work with him.

As the saying goes, you dont cross the boss, and the boss in Wrestling is the booker. He decided who wins and loses and you do what he says or you dont work.

Hulk Hogan didnt like dropping the belt to Jeff Jeret in WCW, so he refused to have a match and instead just laid down and let double JJ pin him, but he still dropped it like the boss wanted.
  • Options
    Blinkant said:

Rizzo said:

MrOneLung said:

If something like that did happen, the off script wrestler would never be in another match. People would refuse to work with him.

As the saying goes, you dont cross the boss, and the boss in Wrestling is the booker. He decided who wins and loses and you do what he says or you dont work.

Hulk Hogan didnt like dropping the belt to Jeff Jeret in WCW, so he refused to have a match and instead just laid down and let double JJ pin him, but he still dropped it like the boss wanted.
    Didn't JJ lie down for Hogan?
  • Options
    Red_Raver said:

Blinkant said:

Rizzo said:

MrOneLung said:

Didn't JJ lie down for Hogan?
    Yep.
  • Options
    It worked the other way, bret hart didn't want to lose the title in his home town and Vince agreed to let him win his match against Shawn michaels only to ring the bell and claim a submission by the hitman halfway through match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you think it ever happens another way, like Ryback maybe was meant to hold on when Cena clotheslined him over the top rope, but his grip slipped? I'm not saying Ryback was meant to win or anything, but it was a really naff end to the Rumble.

Same as things like someone is meant to kick out of a count at the last second but don't kick out in time? Or maybe a superstar falling through the table in a Tables match, but they were meant to win
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Or maybe a superstar falling through the table in a Tables match, but they were meant to win

"Superstar" annoys me. So does the Intercontinental Championship that is rarely, if ever, contested by anyone other than Americans.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

sam3110 said:

Or maybe a superstar falling through the table in a Tables match, but they were meant to win

"Superstar" annoys me. So does the Intercontinental Championship that is rarely, if ever, contested by anyone other than Americans.

What about the United States championship that is held by Europeans, Russians and Asians? Lol
  • Options
    That too
  • Options

Didn't JJ lie down for Hogan?Yep.

So he did
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

sam3110 said:

Current Intercontinental Champion is Wade Barrett from Preston
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    How often does that happen though?

EDIT - Worth noting that I don't watch much these days so things might have changed since I was a regular viewer.
  • Options
    check out this guy's reaction to The Rock winning on Sunday.
    Weirdoooooooooooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJdRiDFVtJ0
  • Options
    Randy Savage and Rick Rude too. Not a great fan, but my younger brother was and now my son. Took him to see TNA at Wembley on Saturday (after the Wednesday match). He used to be into WWE but says it has got silly and TNA wipes the floor with it. I must admit, for somebody who isn't really into it, it was entertaining and there was real danger in some of the moves they performed.

Some real sad people in the audience though! I'm not including myself in that btw!
  • Options
    Haven't watched WWE in over a decade but still don't mind the occasional bit of ECW silliness on YouTube. OH MY GOOOODDD.