Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stroppy Teenagers ... How Do You Deal With Them?

Blinking heck , my youngest lad turned 13 this month , and i don't know if someones pushed a button in him , but he's turned into a right stroppy git.
Mouthy, argumentative and answering back , i think i preferred him how he was , but know i have to love him for who he is , i'm sure i was just the same (Maybe some people on here .. maybe are still like that no doubt :-0 ) has anyone got any parenting tips of how they dealt with it , or where you a bit of a 'git' as a teenager , and what tips would have been good if they'd been applied?

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2012/06/20/stroppy-teens-who-answer-back-turn-into-nicer-adults-says-research/

Comments

• Options
    MIA I've got two teenage daughters and another one turning 13 soon. Biting my tongue seems to keep me out of trouble::) Good luck mate:)
  • Options
    A stroppy sixteen year old right here. Whatever he's moaning about etc he is and always will be right ; )
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Give them more freedom. Don't nag them too much because they won't listen anyway and your relationship with them will suffer.

I don't have kids this is just my opinion.
  • Options
    Get Edin Hazard round.
  • Options
    16 and 17 year old.

I find doing exaggerated impressions straight back at them makes them feel ridiculous and usually gets a laugh. Of course, sometimes it just makes things worse...
  • Options
    Kids seem to get to a point where they realise that they can say and do pretty much whatever they want with no or little consequence. I actually cringe at what I hear kids getting away with. When I was that age a swift clip round the ear would have instantly made me think again before being obnoxious, but then again we now live in a pc society where we all live in fear of our very own "little precious". Schools are just as powerless, how they get to teach anything today beats me....if a kid decides its ok to be disruptive then thats ok, he/she is special needs and they get to go off to a nice little room and play computer games instead. All I can say is good luck mate....set your kids a set of rules and dont bend them. If you do then you are letting them know its ok to push the boundaries. Good luck.
  • Options
    Batter them.
  • Options
    I adopted the attitude, rightly or wrongly, that I was glad when my children answered back.

Firstly it demonstrated that they were not frightened to express their views to me.

Secondly when I challenged them on those views it made them think and some (not all!) of the time they would decide for themselves to take my preferred course of action.

It was certainly draining and there were times I would rather do something else other than engage in what were often pointless circular debates. However I think it helped my daughters develop into confident, assertive women who can now stick up for themselves rather more effectively than I could at a similar age.

Ultimately as a parent, in my opinion, the needs of your children come before your own needs so it's something you need to go through.

Probably not what you want to hear!

• Options
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    Threaten to force them to attend every Palace home match & they have to sit with the "Ultra's", if that fails, then the world truly is coming to an end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Batter them.

This.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If your teenager is a lad, he'll sulk when you speak to him - if you're lucky.

If you've a girl, she'll scream that she hates you, burst into tears and slam her bedroom door in your face.

And you only asked if they'd finished their homework.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Kids seem to get to a point where they realise that they can say and do pretty much whatever they want with no or little consequence. I actually cringe at what I hear kids getting away with. When I was that age a swift clip round the ear would have instantly made me think again before being obnoxious, but then again we now live in a pc society where we all live in fear of our very own "little precious". Schools are just as powerless, how they get to teach anything today beats me....if a kid decides its ok to be disruptive then thats ok, he/she is special needs and they get to go off to a nice little room and play computer games instead. All I can say is good luck mate....set your kids a set of rules and dont bend them. If you do then you are letting them know its ok to push the boundaries. Good luck.

Complete crap don't believe everything you read/watch on TV I'm sure when you was young older people were saying the same about your generation
  • Options
    My daughter turned 13 a few months ago and can be a little stroppy now and again. I can handle that, one thing I've never be able is when her mother gets stroppy. ;-0).

Also brought her a mug which had this written on:

Teenagers

Are you tired of being harassed by your stupid parents?

Act now, move out, get a jobs and pay your own bills- while you still know everything.
  • Options
    Try using a Halti or carrying some treats......................
    *Sorry wrong thread* ;)
  • Options
    Send him to TCE's for bootcamp?!
  • Options
    Here's a training video to help you out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUc62jD-G0o
  • Options
    All I will say is all the very best. Welcome to my world. Good luck with trying to get him up every morning. Oh, and he'll only be nice when he wants something
  • Options
    15 and 19 year old - the lad not a problem, but my daughter had an attitude with her mother for last 2 years. 'Butter wouldn't melt' when she's with me!
  • Options
    I always made sure my boy knew where the line was ie, respect me, your mother and anyone else you come into contact with. Stroppy was never aloud.
    Also I think with boys (more so than girls) you have to find things for them to do and not leave it up to them to please themselves. Sport is great for this.
    Basically, tire them out so that when they are do nothing they are sleeping, they can have the stropps then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i have found that kids go through phases and at your lad's age he is still testing the water to see how much he can get away with. a lot of it comes from what they see their mates doing or getting away with. it is best not to dwell on him mouthing back or being argumentative. my lad (aged 12) has an unhealthy habit of saying something back just out of ear's reach, nothing nasty, he just wants the last word.... he gets that from his mother.

i sometimes chase him and then pin him down until he apologises. he never does but it diffuses the situation.

failing that, shower him with presents until he snaps out of it.
  • Options
    Leave them for your missus to deal with and get a hobby that requires you to spend hours alone in your shed or garage.

Or do like Josef Fritzel (except without the raping and associated other bad stuff of course).
  • Options
    I had all girls.

I like to think it wouldn't but I'll never know whether my attitude described above would have differed with a stroppy boy.

• Options
    You could show him a recording of the Harry Enfield show where Kevin becomes a teenager. Might help make him realise how stupid he really looks?
  • Options

Batter them.

This.
    Agreed. I terrorised mine in line with my own and my fathers upbringing. Did us no harm at all. I turned into a well rounded and responsible citizen. The nervous tick can be sometimes off putting and I do tend to jump 3ft into the air at the sight of my own shadow but as my psychiatrists say, "medication, medication, medication"

Hope this advice helps MIA ?
  • Options
    Worked for me.................
  • Options

Batter them.

This.
    it's the only way ;-)
  • Options
    Take away their booze, fags and/or drugs!
  • Options
    There's already a load of different (sometimes conflicting) answers one here and I think that reflects the the variety of personalities that teenagers have and the relationships that different parents have with them. From that perspective I'm not sure there's much by way of advice that will fit every situation. I've got two sons, 13 and 18, the way I treat them is quite different. With the eldest I can be quite direct, we can clash head on and in half an hour it will be over and done with. Our youngest is more broody and direct confrontation can lead to hours (sometimes days) of sulking; I therefore need to be calmer and more measured. A lot of the time you have to find your way by trial and error; there's nothing quite like personal experience to guide you. My advice is therefore about more general principles rather than specific situations:
    - Talk with your partner about how you are going to deal with matters, agree a general approach.
    - Don't go for the good cop bad cop routine; the "wait 'til your father gets home" approach is just asking for trouble. Both parents need to deal with things consistently as they arise.
    - Reward good behaviour. This doesn't mean that you have to buy them stuff all the time though. Tell them that you love them and that you are proud of them.
    - Avoid making comparisons with siblings, it will breed resentment.
    - When you want something done, explain why. The Nike approach does't cut any ice.
    - If they stomp off in a sulk, don't go chasing after them.
    - Any punishments should be as close to the 'crime' as possible. Month long groundings will breed more resentment - ideally any punishments should be over in a day.
    - Don't give over the top punishment - be measured.
    - Only threaten to do what you can actually carry out and if you do set a punishment don't back down, go through with it.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I had all girls.

I like to think it wouldn't but I'll never know whether my attitude described above would have differed with a stroppy boy.

I have all girls too and have often wondered the same. I don't think my attitude would have been different but we'll never know eh.