Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday Post-match Views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Yeah no need to say stuff like that about DJ, it's not his fault that he has to work for them.

Im sure he would prefer still to be at Cardiff even if there not Massive.

• Options

Redrobo said:

SW are the worst footballing side I have seen this season. They will stay up as they play hoof
    ball and are a strong physical side.

Yet we've won you twice and mullered you in stats in both games!

No offence mate you need to get realistic, we've lost once in 8 games, our last away defeat was on the 2nd of December 1-0 at Cardiff, a game we really should of got something out of.

I'll agree that you did hit the woodwork and had one or two half chances but apart from that you did nothing, you're the home team too, we had 15 shots to your 6 and more possession then you, and you say we played hoof ball all game?see the stats on the game.

By the way those going on about the pitch, we had to play on it too.

I must assume that you were not there. Do you go to any games?

If this is the football you enjoy - fine. I like to see most of it played on the ground.

We have been beaten by quite a few this season and I have never made this type of comment before and have been complimentary about other sides. Leicester were superb for instance.

The crowd were quite and it was boring. Your lot did not even shout or sing (other than the fat bald bloke who refuses to buy an away kit), until you were winnning.

Neither did we we. IT WAS BORING!!!!!

I rember supporting you in the FA cup final a few years ago as our landlord was a SW fan and the whole run was great fun so I have no axe to grind.

However, I just hate this style of football and all that play it. Those that play this way I wish relegation and bankruptcy to visit them quickly and therefore encourage all not to go down this road.

• Options
    just see the goals on telly and solly had about 3 queued up for the header against him and obviously didn't stand a chance but hamer definitely should have made an attempt at saving it
  • Options
    it's bad oohaah isn't it
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    horrendous , i watched it 5 times and still can't work out why hamer didn't have a dive for it unless he thought he was nearer the far post and it was going wide ... very weird
  • Options
    Agreed hamer shouldve maybe tried to get to the header having seen it on the box.

And im very much anti wagstaff but he was very good today credit where its due. Shame his shot didnt creep in off the inside of that post as he deserved a goal and we d all be congratulating ourselves now if it had. Still felt we wouldve been better with him on the right later on today. Wilson tired in that second half and wagstaff on the wrong side we werent getting to the byline enough.
  • Options
    the bounce song for them, if you don't your a blade was impressive
  • Options

the bounce song for them, if you don't your a blade was impressive

Yeah I thought that looked quality
  • Options
    Had enough of pig sty and his mates on here now go back and gloat and talk about hoof on ur own site!

Funny how there administer wouldn't let me register on there site ! Mind u I did try same user name as on here!
  • Options

Redrobo said:

SW are the worst footballing side I have seen this season. They will stay up as they play hoof ball and are a strong physical side.

No offence mate you need to get realistic, we've lost once in 8 games, our last away defeat was on the 2nd of December 1-0 at Cardiff, a game we really should of got something out of.

I'll agree that you did hit the woodwork and had one or two half chances but apart from that you did nothing, you're the home team too, we had 15 shots to your 6 and more possession then you, and you say we played hoof ball all game?see the stats on the game.

I consider myself to be very tolerant, but I have to say that you really are beginning to irritate me. What is your problem? You're really not very bright are you?

Read the following comment very carefully;

I agree with the points you've made above. Most of it is fairly factual. Nevertheless, you are the worst footballing side I've seen at the Valley this season. You'll stay up.

Got that? Now please go home - if you have one.
    This.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do wonder if SCP can take us to the next level based upon what I have read about his poor substitutions
  • Options
    I still don't feel as if he has the confidence in the squad, I also think he really rates Haynes but just can't get him fit.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

SW are the worst footballing side I have seen this season. They will stay up as they play hoof

If this is the football you enjoy - fine. I like to see most of it played on the ground.

We have been beaten by quite a few this season and I have never made this type of comment before and have been complimentary about other sides. Leicester were superb for instance.

The crowd were quite and it was boring. Your lot did not even shout or sing (other than the fat bald bloke who refuses to buy an away kit), until you were winnning.

I rember supporting you in the FA cup final a few years ago as our landlord was a SW fan and the whole run was great fun so I have no axe to grind.

However, I just hate this style of football and all that play it. Those that play this way I wish relegation and bankruptcy to visit them quickly and therefore encourage all not to go down this road.

Yes I do, I've got a Season ticket, and I've been to many away games this season for the record, but like I said had to work so couldn't make it. I'll agree with one on that one though, we all like to see football being played on the deck, we like it that way a lot up here, but sometimes you just haven't got the players to play it, and secondly, and this is where I'm getting at today, you have to play and win ugly - and we did it, we've had some shocking performances this year due to the number of changes we've made with our squad, we were shipping in goals galore but we've stopped it. Did you see how we stopped Hull from playing, we didn't play hoof ball much in that game, we used our pace and wings more, maybe DJ thought the only way that we could of got a result against Charlton at the Valley was to play direct and be physical, kudos to him it worked and we now have 32 points, it's about getting results, not playing pass pass on the deck and losing 3 and 4 nil.
  • Options
    You accused us of winning the title last season by winning ugly, your lot hated us for it
  • Options
    Incidentally I would ask those who criticised the pitch exactly what they would have done differently. Cover a wet pitch and it will just freeze solid, leave it open, the snow falls, it gets wet and choppy, the weather is changing from bad to equally but differently bad, nothing Paddy and co. could do much about until the shit weather passes over.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I wouldn't say the shot count matters at all considering Wednesday had a shot that actually went over the roof of the Jimmy Seed and out of the ground.........

I'm not sure I've ever seen that before? That Balotelli wannabee really made my day with that 'effort'.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Much more of your posting piggy and I'm adding Wendy to the list of teams I dislike. You have been warned.
  • Options
    Against the worst team I have seen in this division we have lost down to poor management decisions, simple.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We just don't create enough at home and though the 4-5-1 has worked well of late, I believe the sooner we get Haynes back playing the better. Wednesday are a traditional roughhouse Northern team and will stay up comfortably as they have a way of playing which will intimidate enough teams in this division.
    Dervite on in front of the back four for the last 20 mins may have been the shout. They seemed to have better energy levels than us, which may have been to do with their subs.
    Evina had a good enough game to get the short straw of marking Zaha next week in the certain defeat at Shithouse.
    However, 4 wins, 3 draws, 9 defeats will see us stay up thereafter, so not too much to complain about if the investment is forthcoming in the close season.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    We needed a couple of new players in August, and we didn't get them. We need them still, and it isn't looking as though we are going to get them.

However...with only Wilson in addition to the team that won League1 last season we are slap bang in the middle of the Championship, holding our heads up against teams with players that cost more than our whole squad - teams that have come down from the prem or have spent years trading at this level.

We lost against Wednesday and that stings, but I'd rather be where we are than where they are. Once Lita burns out in 6 or 7 games they'll probably be a place or two higher in the second half of the table and feeling a bit safer than they do now. They need 18 points from 17 games to make it safely to 50, and are coming in at 1.1 points per game to date, so should just make it, with luck on their side and as long as they aren't hit by injury - a big if at this end of the season. We need 11 from 17, and are coming in at just over 1.3 points per game. We've been struggling with injury all season long - so you have to assume we've been underperforming. A little run or two and we can up our points per game tally and come in nicely in the top half.

Having said that, why have we got Fuller if we aren't gonna use him, and come on Wiggy, can't wait.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So disappointing,fuller would of ripped this poor sheff w team apart,was said at ht some very poor performances today including solly,wilson,jacko and stephens,waggy played ok for an hour but aint no left midfield/winger long term in this div.poorest performance today goes to chris powell and staff for failing to recognising how shit they were and how shit we were!!!
  • Options
    CP stuck with the 4-5-1 system used in the previous three league wins, and selected an unchanged team, both of which were understandable decisions, although it was obviously not our strongest team (Cort and Fuller were on the bench and would make it a stronger line-up).
    Dave Jones matched up and turned the game into a scrap, looking for a point but hoping to snatch a win. The usual tactics for a team struggling at the foot of the table and to be fair they hung in at 0-1, when they looked like buckling. Jones made the right adjustments with his substitutions, changed the pattern of play and forced the issue. Whereas CP reacted too late. We lost control of midfield in the last 20 minutes, the Wednesday B4 started to get the ball into the front players to feet, rather than hitting the channels, and they got the two goals late on.
    Sticking with 4-5-1 is understandable at 80 mins while still 1-0. However I was disappointed we didn't change at 1-1. CP and his coaching staff seem to need a five minute discussion before making a change, which is fair enough, that's how they operate. But sometimes you need to react quickly. Jones showed his experience today, CP is only 2 years into his career and still developing.

We have 39 points and need another 11 points from 17 games to be safe on 50 points, which is a comfortable situation. I'd like to see a return to 4-4-2 for the next few games. The extra striker provides a threat running in behind the opposition Centre Backs, which we don't have at present. If two of the three central midfielders aren't strong enough to play as a pair, then we need to get a stronger player in there before the window shuts.

By and large, CP has got his tactics right this year. Have a look at the league table. He has got it wrong on occasions, as happened in the last 20 minutes today. Sometimes it's about Improvisation & Adjustment during a game. However, the players also have to shape up and see out a game when 1-0 up going into the closing stages. Misplaced passes, failure to close down opponents, individual errors and negative play in the last 20 minutes, cost us this game.

We move on to the Nigel's. Will CP have enough trust in his CMs to play only two of them, with Fuller joining Kermorgant up front? I hope so.

• Options
    Thought we lost A bit of presence without Cort in the air , Especially against such a MASSIVE side
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Yes I do, I've got a Season ticket, and I've been to many away games this season for the record, but like I said had to work so couldn't make it. I'll agree with one on that one though, we all like to see football being played on the deck, we like it that way a lot up here, but sometimes you just haven't got the players to play it, and secondly, and this is where I'm getting at today, you have to play and win ugly - and we did it, we've had some shocking performances this year due to the number of changes we've made with our squad, we were shipping in goals galore but we've stopped it. Did you see how we stopped Hull from playing, we didn't play hoof ball much in that game, we used our pace and wings more, maybe DJ thought the only way that we could of got a result against Charlton at the Valley was to play direct and be physical, kudos to him it worked and we now have 32 points, it's about getting results, not playing pass pass on the deck and losing 3 and 4 nil.
    ? So why are you complaining about my comments? I said ''SW are the worst footballing side I have seen this season. (you are so far). They will stay up as they play hoof ball and are a strong physical side. If that is what they need to do, so be it.''

I accept that you have to play to your strengths/limitations to survive. But trying to suggest that the stats show you are a better side is just plain stupid. Accept what your team are and what you have to do to survive, I do. Good luck to you if you do and hopefully you can buy a few (lot) to improve and move on.

% football will give you results - hence it's name. It does not stop a supporter hating paying good money to see it.
  • Options
    Good summary TutTut. Once Haynes is back, I wonder what the preferred formation and lineup will be then.
  • Options
    It was a pudding of a pitch and Wednesday were bigger and stronger than us. I was desperate to see Fuller against Llera and Gardiner in a 442 but it would have been tough to change a winning team. Good to see Waggy in dominant form. He did not deserve to be on a losing side. Wednesday always looked likely to score from a set play. Maybe Cort should have played today although Taylor looked pretty sound.
    The Llera taunting was funny but he had the last laugh.
    All will be forgiven if we can get a result at Palarse.
  • Options

Not going to talk about Wednesday as quite frankly I've had enough of them on CL of late, but would agree that CP's weakness as a manager is his substitutions - and this isn't a 'Monday morning quarterback' post as I said the same thing after the home game with Walsall last year (which we won)! It's frustrating because how often do we see games where teams bring on pace up front after 70-odd minutes when they're leading, not just to give their own defenders a better outlet when they're under the cosh, but to stretch the oppo defence when they're that little bit more tired? We don't do that enough, and Fuller would have been good for that today - a physical presence but also pace and skill which would have given them a lot more to think about. And also frustrating because last week CP was saying that he looked at our bench at Blackburn and thought we have quite a tidy squad - that's all very well, but he's got to trust them and use them. Subs make a difference in the modern 7-sub game more than they've ever done - ok, not quite the same, granted, but how often does someone like Dzeko come off the bench and score?

Having said all that, would still say that CP's doing an incredible job and getting the most out of his players under not the easiest of circumstances, and there's no other manager I would want to see at our club.

this x2 .........very akin to my post on another thread re subs.

• Options
    What I think is most disappointing about the fact that we didnt use any subs until it was too late is the scp in his post match interview said[when asked]" why would we use a sub we were 1-0 up and the tactics were going to plan.
    REASON 1/If the game plan was to keep things tight and nick a goal and hold on to it then it needed high tempo pressing for 90 mins.After 75 mins 3 or 4 were carry tired legs on heavy pitch.Fresh legs to keep the game plan going were needed.
    Reason 2 /An injection of pace would have exploited weds tired legs and probably led to a second goal.
    REASONS 4 ,5 and 6 are variations on a theme.
  • Options
    what I don't get is that the last thirty minutes we were dropping deeper and deeper and they were lumping it into the box and hoping BUT if I and most others could see a goal coming then why couldn't CP? He got it wrong today and it cost us. Not sure i agree with the comments that we looked tired. Changes should have been made at 1-0 to ensure we got another goal and put the game to bed. Hope CP learns from this. Home form is absolutely dire. As for Wilson hiding, don't go with that. Didn't have his best game but didn't hide for me. Lets hope for a big improvement next week.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We were never going to thrash them playing 4-5-1 but that is our formation and it works away - it should have been enough today against a poor team of lumps but quality cross for their equaliser and flukey winner. Felt reasonably comfortable up to that but hey ho.

Went to watch TNA wrestling at Wembley with my son directly afterwards, which despite me not being into - it was a great show and took my mind off the frustrations of the manner of the earlier defeat.

The bit that keeps niggling away though, is how the ref didn't send off Coke. Does he not follow the same rules as all the other refs? He is going to get hammered in his assessment no doubt, but that won't give us the points!